The All New Ford Flex

What? So the car will look 'expensive' if it's got like a 760mph speedo? Tell me, does this proceed in a linear fashion, or is it logarithmic? At what point in time does having more ticks on the speedo stop making your car look more expensive?

Also, regarding the gauge numbers: most of the time you don't 'read' the numbers on the gauge anyway: you go by the position of the needle. You don't think this is the case, but it's true. Once you know where 65mph is, you go by needle position, not numbers.

Or do you have all the numbers on your watch as well?

Why does a 2004 Honda Civic's speedometer look more expensive that all of Ford Motor Company's? It is the attention to detail and there are still some improvements that don't cost much (numbers on the speedometer, and needles that are not pencil sized) but the new radio and climate controls are first class.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a 2004 Honda Civic's speedometer look more expensive that all of Ford Motor Company's? It is the attention to detail and there are still some improvements that don't cost much (numbers on the speedometer, and needles that are not pencil sized) but the new radio and climate controls are first class.

You all really must like this vehicle if these is the only problems you can find...these hings arent that important..the spedo is a mattr of taste...really so are many other interior things...you guys really need to come back into reality...I think the interior is better than the exterior...I'm in the minority...most people really like the exterior...i'm not sure....but I see that many people like it...its a matter of opinion....just because Ford does not build exactly wat I want does not mean they have failed...its that simple...if enough people like it...its a good thing.

You all really must like this vehicle if these is the only problems you can find...these hings arent that important..the spedo is a mattr of taste...really so are many other interior things...you guys really need to come back into reality...I think the interior is better than the exterior...I'm in the minority...most people really like the exterior...i'm not sure....but I see that many people like it...its a matter of opinion....just because Ford does not build exactly wat I want does not mean they have failed...its that simple...if enough people like it...its a good thing.

You are right, I do like it and it is trending in the right direction. The speedo is just a pet peeve of mine. My Mustang's speedo is first class even with 20 mph increments and pencil sized needle. I really just want a redo on the current Explorer and that is when I will be a buyer.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the Flex.

The interior looks decent. I just hope the switchgear is improved due to its "Edgy" roots.

Nothing unreasonable considering other Ford products are already better in that area.

Edited by pcsario

PCSARIO - the feel of buttons can vary even if looks is similar -same .. go test it out .. I see your point .. and that is what I thought as Bluebloods --- but the tactile feel of the buttons can be VERY different .. we will not know until we try it.

BlueBlood - show me a non-luxury automotive buttons that look better. I do not mean their arrangement on the IP/dash/steering wheel etc .. I mean the button that communicated quality in pictures more than say the Ford corporate Steering wheel buttons ..

I am just having trouble imagining what you are saying.

And I do not want to see any mediocrity at Ford - but I am not about to rip apart a 30k vehicle for a set of buttons that IMO looks right on par with any competition ... I see no flaws in the parts you all call out ... I see problems elsewhere with this car, but I want to see more detail before I call my judgment.

Igor

PCSARIO - the feel of buttons can vary even if looks is similar -same .. go test it out .. I see your point .. and that is what I thought as Bluebloods --- but the tactile feel of the buttons can be VERY different .. we will not know until we try it.

BlueBlood - show me a non-luxury automotive buttons that look better. I do not mean their arrangement on the IP/dash/steering wheel etc .. I mean the button that communicated quality in pictures more than say the Ford corporate Steering wheel buttons ..

I am just having trouble imagining what you are saying.

And I do not want to see any mediocrity at Ford - but I am not about to rip apart a 30k vehicle for a set of buttons that IMO looks right on par with any competition ... I see no flaws in the parts you all call out ... I see problems elsewhere with this car, but I want to see more detail before I call my judgment.

Igor

I'd echo this...i don't want mediocrity either....but I do like when ford has something that people seem to like...I don't see a reason to have ducks peck it to death. I agree Igor.

Well I agree, it's really a small detail that --due to the nature of this duscussion-- seems to have been blown out of proportion.

I admit it has more to do with the legacy of the Edge's issues than the Flex itself, which is an impressive effort. Never tried to undercut Mark Fields, Kuzak, etc. involvement on this, it's just a personal annoyance that could be interpreted as me being dissapointed with it. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Props to Ford for a great job. :D

Edited by pcsario

The steering wheel looks out of place, and horrible, looks like something out of the 70's, what's with the tacked on v-shaped airbag cover???

That and the cheapo gauges need to go. Who uses 120 mph speedo's anymore? And don't say nobody drives that fast, the 120 mph speedo and the lack of numbers (20mph spacing?) is a huge oversight and shows a lack of caring about the details.

Besides that the interior looks good, minus the same old cheap Ford switchgear of course.

The gauges look great with elegant lighting and surrounded with tasteful chrome and wood.

WKA2007040437969_pv.jpg

I guess everyone forgot about Ford's "industry-first and industry-exclusive switch-feel measurement and playback systems, plus a host of psychophysical and statistical engineering tools for developing best-in-class switch-feel quality. " first introduced on the 2008 Escape.

"How important is switch-feel? The truth is that switch-feel is an integral part of interior quality. "If we are to deliver a vehicle interior that is perceived as of the highest quality, we have to get the feel and the harmony of the switches right," says Yifan Chen, Technical Leader, Vehicle Design Research & Advanced Engineering. Chen leads a Ford project on Perceptual Design, a relatively new discipline that attempts to correlate operating feel of mechanical human-machine interfaces to customer perceived quality. "

I guess everyone forgot about Ford's "industry-first and industry-exclusive switch-feel measurement and playback systems, plus a host of psychophysical and statistical engineering tools for developing best-in-class switch-feel quality. " first introduced on the 2008 Escape.

"How important is switch-feel? The truth is that switch-feel is an integral part of interior quality. "If we are to deliver a vehicle interior that is perceived as of the highest quality, we have to get the feel and the harmony of the switches right," says Yifan Chen, Technical Leader, Vehicle Design Research & Advanced Engineering. Chen leads a Ford project on Perceptual Design, a relatively new discipline that attempts to correlate operating feel of mechanical human-machine interfaces to customer perceived quality. "

Bleh, Ford's new guys are nothing but a bunch of wine tasters. ;)

"integral part of interior quality? What a bunch of whinners."

:finger:

Edited by pcsario

With the Flex, will you still have the Taurus X. Both seat 6 or 7, seat layout looks the same. Isn't there a lot of overlap. Add in the Explorer to the same layout.

No sliding doors, and the moms won't want it.

There's a lot of feature overlap when taken at first glance, but there's a lot of disparity as far as the price points go and the differences are a lot more vast once you dig more into the details.

I do suspect however that the Taurus X will revert back to an even more traditional wagon variant with the next generation though, to clean up the overlap a bit.

I don't really think the sliders are as critical as people think. Sure, the lack of sliders is going to turn away a good portion of potential buyers, but I think the lack of sliders is going to draw in many buyers also. Even I would consider buying a vehicle like the Flex, just because it looks cool and there's absolutely nothing "minivan" about it. Sliders would detract from some of the "masculinity" in the Flex's design.

No sliding doors, and the moms won't want it.

Uh direct words from my Sister:

"I will NEVER DRIVE A MINIVAN OR STATION WAGON"

She has an 06 Explorer, as does her best friend and sister in law...all with kids under 5

Minivans are overrated with sliding doors...I bet if you ask someone to chose between a Flex and a Minivan, they'll take the Flex since its better looking and unique

I'd say that Price, Styling and Reputation are the biggest things people look for when it comes to a car. Not if they feel the switch gear is cheap or not...that isn't even on the radar.

My gripe is how cheap and hollow they sound in the Edge, not so much how they look.

Things like that can be fixed, silvrsvt.

They need to address that, they need to be as good as the imports on everything, not just looks.

And yes, interior quality is important in this day and age. By your logic Ford should just go back to hollow sounding doors as well.

"Wine tasters" my ass, stop being a robotic apologist, you appreciate improvements in quality like those.

Phrases like "the sound and feel of quality" weren't created just because.

I don't disagree with you, but in the grand scheme of things its way overrated. Theres no harm in pointing it out, but harping on it is something totally different.

I just hate how certain people get so nickpicky with things without taking a stepback and saying hey this is a pretty decent product, but hey they need to fix this the next go around..

All in the wording

I took a day off from the net and missed this intro yesterday. Looks like I picked a bad day to take a day off.

I wasn't initially a fan of the Fairlane, but this is clearly the winner of the New York show, and the best sign yet that Ford will have a future. I think it could be the Taurus all over again, a combination of bold styling and top notch functionality.

Problem is, they failed to follow up on the first Taurus with similarly innovative products. That can't happen this time.

My full blog entry on the Flex:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=83

Edited by mkaresh