FSY07_specs_img_main.jpg

EPR07_specs_img_main.jpg

EPD07_specs_img_main.jpg

(EL length is 221")

Ford Flex

Overall length 202.3"

Overall width 79.9"

Overall height at curb 67.6"

so we can see that the Freestyle/TaurusX is mad narrow and the flex will offer way more width (=luxury feeling) than the TaurusX. Then the Flex debuts it will be the widest Ford SUV.

Also, while the overall length is similar between the Flex and TaurusX - the TaurusX has 112" wheelbase, while the Flex has 116" - this likely accounts for the increase in interior room.

Finally, in line with people calling the Flex a wagon - it will be the lowest of the bunch - even lower than the currently lowest - TaurusX ...

post your observations.

Igor

I would also like to compare this to GMC Acadia - the new Full size crossover benchmark, and Toyota Sienna, one of the core Minivan Benchmarks.

GMC Acadia

Width: 78.2

Length:200.7

Height: 69.9

wheelbase: 118.9

Toyota Sienna

Overall width 77.4

Overall length 201.0

Overall height, unloaded 68.9

Wheelbase 119.3

This shows, that while tie exterior dimensions are similar to the new Flex the Acadia actually has another 2" if wheelbase, which can have some implications on interior room and ease of 3rd row access - but might not ..

Compared to the Sienna, the wheelbase looks really short, but the width could be an asset for the Flex - it will be over 1.5" wider than the Sienna, and over an inch wider than the Acadia.

feel free to post your observations.

well the freestar is dead ... but I felt it was an interesting comparison point.

I still believe Ford has a bunch of options going forward .. but I do not have a sense which ones they will take ...

yes, they hav ea lot of SUV/CUV vehicles, including Flex, 4 are 7passenger, 2 are 5 passenger. However just like expedition and Explorer have coexisted peacefully for years, there is a lot of space for differentiation .. for now I believe the Freestyle/TaurusX and the Flex will be sufficiently far apart - but with the new Explorer being significantly different, we will see where it falls in the lineup.

Igor

Edited by igor

There has been talk about how tall SUV's and such had been getting. I would imagine clearance through garage doors might be an issue as is the ability to get to the roofrack to load things onto the SUV - i can manage reasonably well at 6'3", but find it easier to stand on running boards or the lip of the doorwell, i cant imagine how it would be for shorter people!

Great comparison! It's very illuminating to see the products side to side. It's very interesting to compare the Taurus X and the Explorer's dimensions; I keep thinking about the rumor that the Explorer will move to a unibody chassis, and I think of a reskinned Taurus X. When you compare the dimensions, it's not that far to leap if indeed the Explorer moves to a unibody chassis.

Good comparo, except the Flex has a 117.9 inch wheelbase (118 for you non sticklers) so the Flex has a very, very Minivan like wheelbase thank you very much.

you are right .. I messed up - it's 117.9 .. but it is still an inch less than the Acadia and the Sienna.

Igor

Great comparison! It's very illuminating to see the products side to side. It's very interesting to compare the Taurus X and the Explorer's dimensions; I keep thinking about the rumor that the Explorer will move to a unibody chassis, and I think of a reskinned Taurus X. When you compare the dimensions, it's not that far to leap if indeed the Explorer moves to a unibody chassis.

I envision the unibody Explorer to be a more "truck looking" vehicle that will be more like the Australian RWD/AWD Ford Territory then the US FWD/AWD Ford TaurusX. If you compare specs of the Territory & Explorer, you find that they are nearly identical, except the Territory weighs less. I also think the Explorer will have a more off-road flavor to it then it does now. Maybe it can even a spawn a two door version that they can call "Bronco"? Land Rover & Jeep can build off-road worthy unibody's, why couldn't Ford?

I envision the unibody Explorer to be a more "truck looking" vehicle that will be more like the Australian RWD/AWD Ford Territory then the US FWD/AWD Ford TaurusX. If you compare specs of the Territory & Explorer, you find that they are nearly identical, except the Territory weighs less. I also think the Explorer will have a more off-road flavor to it then it does now. Maybe it can even a spawn a two door version that they can call "Bronco"? Land Rover & Jeep can build off-road worthy unibody's, why couldn't Ford?

Since Mulally wants to move Ford towards global product, the next Explorer and Territory might be one and the same, with the next Taurus X really looking like a Taurus wagon.

Ford Flex

Overall length 202.3"

Overall width 79.9"

Overall height at curb 67.6"

so we can see that the Freestyle/TaurusX is mad narrow and the flex will offer way more width (=luxury feeling) than the TaurusX. Then the Flex debuts it will be the widest Ford SUV.

Also, while the overall length is similar between the Flex and TaurusX - the TaurusX has 112" wheelbase, while the Flex has 116" - this likely accounts for the increase in interior room.

Finally, in line with people calling the Flex a wagon - it will be the lowest of the bunch - even lower than the currently lowest - TaurusX ...

post your observations.

Igor

I'm very suspicious of the width spec for the Flex. The shoulder room is much narrower than it ought to be for a 79.9" vehicle. I think someone either mucked this spec up or the Flex has ultra-thick doors.

Shoulder room

Flex: 58.4/57.1/50.8

FS: 58.5/57.9/50.8

Acadia: 61.9/61.1/57.8

Hip room

Flex: 55.4/55.0/41.1

FS: 55.5/55.8/45.9

Acadia: 57.8/57.9/48.3

The cabin width seems almost identical to that of the Freestyle/Taurus X, and a huge 3-4 inches narrower than the Acadia. I suspect the width spec should be identical to the FS, at 74.9", and not 79.9".

The height is also virtually identical to the Freestyle's. And you've got to be careful with height specs, because they sometimes include a roof rack and sometimes don't, and that makes about a two-inch difference.

Edited by mkaresh

It's no fluke that the Territory is close to the Explorer's dimensions.

Ford AUS felt they could make a better Falcon based replacement.

Here are the Territory's dimensions converted to imperial

Ford Territory

Overall length -191.2"

Overall width (excluding mirrors) - 74.2"

Overall height - 67.5"

Wheelbase - 111.9"

Front track - 64.0"

Rear track - 62.9"

Front overhang - 36.9"

Rear overhang -42.8"

Approach angle - 23º

Departure angle - 19.8º

Ground clearance - 7.0"

Front headroom - 42.3"

Front legroom - 44.2"

Front shoulder room - 60.9"

Front hip room - 60.0"

2nd row legroom (5 seater) - 41.0"

2nd row headroom (5 seater) - 39.6"

3rd row legroom (with optional 3rd row seat) - 33.6"

3rd row headroom (with optional 3rd row seat) - 36.5"

Could someone please tell me what Approach Angle and Departure Angle are?

Towing capacities

Standard towpack = 3520 lb

Heavy duty towpack = 5060 lb

Maximum towball download - standard towpack 3520 lb = 352 lb

Maximum towball download - heavy duty towpack 5060 lb = 506 lb

Maximum towing capacity - unbraked trailer 1650 lb

Maximum towing capacity - braked trailer = 5060 lb

Rear gross axle load rating when towing = 3366 lb

John

orionsneakwk8.jpg

Edited by jpd80