7-Speed Auto headed Ford's way?

NickF1011

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine the mid engine car Ford could build around the new BOSS and this 7-speed transaxle:

http://www.getrag.com/456

No picture.

7-speed, transaxle longitudinal, dual clutch transmission, wet

Max. Torque Capacity 750 Nm

Weight (dry) 120 kg (mid engine application)

Installation length mid engine 695 mm

front engine 870 mm

differential to rear housing 450 mm

Synchronization

1st and 2nd gear triple cone

3rd and 4th gear triple cone

5th and 6th gear triple cone

7th gear triple cone

Gear Spread Ratio 5,39

Max. Gross Vehicle Mass 2500 kg

Shifter System hydraulic

I love the last one, but why don't they put the prices?

I doubt Ford will use any of these.

Wait wait wait... Ford owns Getrag transmissions and these Trannys are not even used?!

Is there a reason why Ford is NOT using these transmissions?

Edited by LincolnFan

Wait wait wait... Ford owns Getrag transmissions and these Trannys are not even used?!

I don't know if Ford has any investment in Getrag by way of shareholding.

The biggest reason that they're not used is that they're just coming on-line.

The page for the Getrag 6DCT450 says

"Planned Job 1 in 2007"

most of them are not out yet.

Igor

Getrag is 100% owned by the Hagenmeyer family.

Getrag and Ford are 50/50 partners in GETRAG FORD Transmissions GmbH

Unfortunately, there is no exclusivity. Getrag is now getting in bed with DaimlerChrysler

As for why Ford is not already using Getrag dual clutch transmissions, I can only guess they were not cost effective or durable enough ... at the time !

Edited by theoldwizard

The last good trannies Ford made were the C4 and C6. 5R55s blow up regularly. Almost every Taurus on the road has had one trans overhaul in its lifetime. Same goes for Windstars and Freestars. I used to change at least one tranny a week in Crown Vic cop cars-that was in addition to the ones the actual trans guys were doing. SD pickups were blowing up Torqueshift trannies all the time. Ford cant make a 4 or 5 spd trans that will hold up what makes you think a 7 speed will be any better?

The last good trannies Ford made were the C4 and C6. 5R55s blow up regularly. Almost every Taurus on the road has had one trans overhaul in its lifetime. Same goes for Windstars and Freestars. I used to change at least one tranny a week in Crown Vic cop cars-that was in addition to the ones the actual trans guys were doing. SD pickups were blowing up Torqueshift trannies all the time. Ford cant make a 4 or 5 spd trans that will hold up what makes you think a 7 speed will be any better?

wow...you certainly have a positive outlook.

People seem to be abusing 5R55S's in Mustangs routinely without any widespread problems. Their 6-speed autos haven't had many issues either. It's time to stop living in 1995.

• 4 months later...

5R55E in the ranger usually blows up around 130-160K. If you tow it will granade around 80k.

The sad thing is Ford does not advertise that there are band adjustments on the tranny, which there are. If owners knew about this and readjusted the bands the tranny would probably last a bit longer.

My truck is at 100k now. I put $700 into my 5R55E last year, including the band readjustment. It works now except for the sloppy 3rd gear shift.

Hopefully it will survive another 2-3 years.

Edited by Mackintire

FWIW....Current bicycles use 10 cogs in rear. I use either 2 or 3 cogs in front, depending on where I'm riding.

With more speeds in the transmissions or CVT, you can use smaller engines for better economy with same performance as larger engine with 4 speeds. This idea works really well as soon as folks get over the idea a vehicle has to be able to lug up every hill in top gear, and accept idea transmission can down shift when it needs to. And with 6 or 7 forward gears, the down shift can be only a few hundred RPM. Then it can loaf along most of the time just above idle when cruising for terrific economy.

Example....My wife's 3.0 Montego with 6 speed auto is a good example of this kind of smart engineering. (I have measured 30 MPG over and over on Interstate driving) It has same or quicker acceleration performance as older Taurus with 4 speed auto. It has very good acceleration, but with it's small low TQ engine, it sometimes needs to down shift on a long steep hill. So it will down shift from 2000 RPM at 70 MPH to maybe 2400, or about where it would have been anyway with a 4 speed auto. Some folks can't get accustomed to idea of letting the transmission do the work. Like a 6 or 7 speed or CVT.

I believe BMW still uses a 3.0 with 6 or 7 forward speed auto in new 528, with excellent performance and economy, same idea.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Think closer ratios. The more gears you have the more the car feels like a stepless transmission

Less fuel enrichment under acceleration and quicker torque converter lock up.

I bet the old powerglide owners couldn't see a need for 4-speeds either.

I love the 6-spd automatic in the VW GTI! It feels seamless and smooth and always downshifts into an appropriate gear depending on your speed as you are slowing down and maintains torque in whatever speed you are going... And it feels less like you have to use the brakes to slow down. It's easy to become spoiled driving that car... I love driving it!

It's quite interesting often going from driving the low-tech Cavalier to the GTI and experiencing the glaring refinement of the GTI.

Edited by Watchdevil

How much more refined would a 7 speed be compared to a 6 speed? There was quite a jump from 3 to 4 then a noticible amount to 5 speed and less again to 6 speed.

With my 6 speed i see the following ranges of speed per gear (while not scientific, its about what i see), the first number is the slowest it stays/coasts in that gear, the second is the speed it drops into that gear on a downshift under gentle acceleration, the third is the top of the range on a gentle pull away before downshifting and the fourth is the foot flat to the floor max speed in that gear at 6250rpm before shifting:

1st 0, 0-10, 25mph

2nd 5, 10-20, 40mph

3rd 15, 20-30, 55mph

4th 25, 30-38, 70mph

5th 30, 38-43, 75mph

6th 35, 43-?, ?mph (havent taken it over 80mph so far.

I know these ranges are pre-programmed for the gearbox, however the ranges seem to overlap nicely and because the relative drop in revs is minimal (500+/- rpm), the shift is smooth. The 3 and 4 speed boxes always seemed to be well defined and it was harder to get overlap in the gears of more than a few mph, the shift was quite hard due to the large change in engine speed for each gear. The 5 speed seemed to work well and i think the 6 is great too, but do we need a 7?

What makes me ask this question is if any of you are bicyclists you might recall older bikes, my first was a BMX, it only had one gear, great for starting off, but you'd bust a lung going any speed - and sometimes it didnt have a freewheel option, so you could relax going downhill either! Then as you grew up you might get a 3 or 5 speed with one front cog and the rest in the back which made life somewhat easier. From 6 speeds upwards you typically got 2 or more front cogs (3 seems to be the optimal for easy, moderate and flat/hard use) and they kept adding more cogs to the rear axle, last i saw there were 8 back there, giving you 24 theoretical options. Although you might only use 3-4 of the rear gears with one of each of the front ones, making 9-12 real gear options (ie you wouldnt use the largest front and rear cogs, nor smallest front and rear etc). Whilst not exactly the same as car gearboxes due to the fact that typically a larger rear cog was added to the 5 cassette to make 6 and a smaller to the 6 to make a 7, i didnt look, but i would imagine it was one of the other on one end or the other for the 8 as well - meaning the original gear spacing was often similar or only marginally changed, that is you had better power or speed on the two extremes than the older cassette. However the difference between having 7 and 8 gears at the rear is next to nothing, the difference of 5 to 6 was quite a bit and 6 to 7 was somewhat pronounced. There was also the problem of the price of these items, the materials used were often lighter and weaker than the older cassettes to fit into the same space on the axle without throwing the wheel center outside the bike centerline, so being thinner, they broke more often than the older gear sets - it all leads me to ask if we really need 7 gears on a car though?

I know there are plenty of heavy duty farm equipments that use a huge range of gears x forward, y reverse with a high and low setting, but they have a range of things to do like plowing, towing, moving from a to b efficiently on a huge variety of ground types, not just drive on the road like most cars do, even most SUV's and probably half the trucks sold in this country as well. So there is a place for this type of system, however i reckon this is going to be a car/road based item.

Sometimes it's not a question of logic, sometimes it selling to the customer what they think they want. Such is the power of marketing.