Ford Feels Heat To Refreshen Lineup

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Codina said no single vehicle will change the game for Ford. Consumers have too many choices for one model to carry a brand the way Taurus did in the 1980s.

But while Ford plans to refresh several products, it won't introduce another all-new vehicle until the Flex, a full size crossover, reaches showrooms in 2008. Some analysts say the redesigned models look too much like their predecessors.

"If it doesn't look like a new product, people are going to cast it asid," Merkle said.

Analyst Jim Hall of AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield said Ford must better promote the vehicles it has.

"Age is only a problem if they're not selling because they're old," he said. "In many cases, Ford's products are not selling because they never really tried to market them."

Cough...um MKS?

Looking too much like their predecessors? Ok thats a given with the 500/Taurus, but at least it looks better then the 500, which wasn't on anyones radar and well with the new name that will have recognition and better marketing, it should take off this time around. The new Focus doesnt look anything like the outgoing model unless you want to really be picky and say that the Sedan has the same door skins and windshield...

captain obvious indeed but basically everything is right on.

But its aging vehicles like the Explorer SUV and the Focus sedan are losing sales and driving consumers to competing brands in alarming numbers.

wasn't the explorer refreshed just last year? doesn't sound like aging to me but it is losing sales though.

captain obvious indeed but basically everything is right on.

wasn't the explorer refreshed just last year? doesn't sound like aging to me but it is losing sales though.

The Explorer was a complete half assed effort...drivetrain suspension and NVH were all vastly improved....THEN on the other extreme was exterior styling....people have a tendency to stay away from things considered un-attractive thus the lost sales...the front end works on the Sportstrac...sadly NOT on the Explorer...was a poor effort to say the least....

Edited by Deanh

I have quite a bit of time in Explorers from both before and after the redesign and I have to say I found the new ones a much nicer ride. However, I'm in the market for a used Explorer and I'm looking at 2004/2005 because I can't stand the new front end. I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

I have quite a bit of time in Explorers from both before and after the redesign and I have to say I found the new ones a much nicer ride. However, I'm in the market for a used Explorer and I'm looking at 2004/2005 because I can't stand the new front end. I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

Nope, not just you. My brother's wife has an '04 Explorer XLT. Black with that nice squared up chrome grille. It looks AWESOME. Perfect proportions. The new ones just look ALL wrong. She said she's not going to buy another one unless they fix the looks.

The 02 Explorer redo was prob the best styled SUV to hit the market...I see alot of the 08 Escape shares that styling

Yeah, after seeing some '08 Escapes in person, I REALLY think Ford did a good job with limited resources. I'm not a big fan of the models with the chrome on the lower fascia (one of my peeves about the Explorer re-do too) but for a mild refresh, they definitely made it look a lot cleaner and nicer. I think the Mariner refresh was even better.

Yeah, after seeing some '08 Escapes in person, I REALLY think Ford did a good job with limited resources. I'm not a big fan of the models with the chrome on the lower fascia (one of my peeves about the Explorer re-do too) but for a mild refresh, they definitely made it look a lot cleaner and nicer. I think the Mariner refresh was even better.

The Chrome has grown on me...I like the new Escapes styling so much that i'm seriously considering getting one in the future..but by that time they'll have changed the styling again on them...hopefully LOL

The Mariner looks so much better in person also..

The Chrome has grown on me...I like the new Escapes styling so much that i'm seriously considering getting one in the future..but by that time they'll have changed the styling again on them...hopefully LOL

I was in Ottawa last weekend and walked past a 08 Black Limited. Surprisingly it looked really good. I was impressed and the chrome didn't throw me off; Very tasteful.

Edited by Hugh

You guys have spent too much time in the Detroit area and/or in car-enthusiast land. ITS GAS PRICES STUPID! :finger:

The new Explorer is fine. Like all vehicles, some like it and some don't. We have a 2003 Mountaineer that I'd LOVE to replace with a new one. :happy feet: But at $2.99/gal and rising fast, there is NO FRIGGIN WAY I am going to bury myself into another gas guzzling depreciation monster. :redcard: Even the Escape/Mariner, which I looked at, only gets a mere measly few more MPGs. And NO ONE wants my decent used car unless I practially give it away.

So the only prudent option for me is to keep feeding the Arabs (instead of fellow Americans in Detroit) and maintain my 13 MPG '03 guzzler. It's worth nearly zero so the only real cost is the gas. But A NEW ONE would entail monster depreciation AND monster gas costs. The irony is that it's really a great vehicle, with the old front end or the new one. But in the REAL WORLD ITS ABOUT GAS PRICES. WAKE UP GUYS!

Eh, it's a bit more than that. But just over half of it comes from the U.S. itself plus Canada and Mexico.

Whatever. The POINT was that I, like a zillion other Explorer owners, can no longer afford 3 buck gas AND a new depreciation monster. So WHOEVER pumps the oil wins and FORD loses. :finger:

Eh, it's a bit more than that. But just over half of it comes from the U.S. itself plus Canada and Mexico.

Yeah, but we're still the spacegoats who will get blamed for that.

Oh and the problem is, the people haven't gained anything from Petrol or the increased oil prices... </rant>

Here in Ca most to all of our oil comes from places other than the ME, which is part of the reasion it pisses me off that we pay the highest prices for gas, I don't know how long the scumbags will be allowed to rob us blind. And the fuel prices are making everything go up in price, so we get raped at the pump, and then raped when we buy food or anything else. Butnothing wil change when the oil cartels write our damned energy policies in total secrecy... :censored:

Edited by Blueblood

Here in Ca most to all of our oil comes from places other than the ME, which is part of the reasion it pisses me off that we pay the highest prices for gas, I don't know how long the scumbags will be allowed to rob us blind. And the fuel prices are making everything go up in price, so we get raped at the pump, and then raped when we buy food or anything else. Butnothing wil change when the oil cartels write our damned energy policies in total secrecy... :censored:

There's a couple reasons CA fuel prices tend to be higher: Additives. CA finds it necessary to use their own funky blend of additives that hardly anybody else uses, so it costs more to refine. And then, that's just how California is. Everything costs more. Oil companies figure you're used to paying more for everything else, why not gasoline too?

I'll sell ya my 04!!!

Chrome..........IT'S NOT CHROME!!!

IT'S SILVERY PLATED PLASTIC!!!!

Just like the ReVell model cars I used to build when I was a kid. Cheap junk.

The chrome on my grandmas 58 Chevy weighs more than your whole car!!

Now that's CHROME!!

Chrome..........IT'S NOT CHROME!!!

IT'S SILVERY PLATED PLASTIC!!!!

Just like the ReVell model cars I used to build when I was a kid. Cheap junk.

The chrome on my grandmas 58 Chevy weighs more than your whole car!!

Now that's CHROME!!

i'm pretty sure if I dump bleach on the Escapes' "Chrome" it won't come off like the plated shit used on models will...

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen crappy trim plastic trim pieces on a Ford since the late 1990's.. they finally got that figure out.

Let's not forget about safety as well...a major reason (aside from cost) that some manufacturer's don't use the real thing,is because the real thing becomes a weapon in an accident. At least plastic will break/shatter. A 2 foot long piece of decorative chrome becomes a possible spear. Thats why many wood trim pieces are laminated with a film of silver, to prevent it from breaking apart and becoming a weapon in an accident. MBenz started that idea.