2009 F150 spied

igor

I mean, I agree with the negatoids to a very small extent: this thing better have good looks because the current pick-up is still the standard and Ford has little place to go except down. However, unlike the negatoids, I cannot draw any conclusions from the spies other than it looks like it has the Expy's grille, which if grafted tastefully could be good. The thing that most worried me was when feedback from the showroom of the future said the truck didn't like big and bold enough. They wanted something more in-your-face. The problem is, Chevy and Toyota have just tried that and neither truck is better looking than the current F-series. A little more in your face than the current truck? Fine. Silverado or Tundra like? Oh dear...

However... all of that said. All I *really* care about are engines. What are the specs. Are we getting a 3.7 base? What about an upgraded 4.6? What's the gas mileage on these? How delayed is the Boss at this point? Is there still talk of the 3.5TT? How efficient are they expecting the new diesel to be? Is the diesel still on track? As long as the thing isn't any uglier than the Toyota or the Chevy and has more efficient engines... it will be a big success.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would the put a fake grille on AND then camo it?

BTW, We don't even know it's a Ford. They've ingeniously put electrical tape over the logo on the steering wheel :hysterical:

Seriously. The F150 was ALL NEW in 2004. It still leads the pack in payload and towing AND Ford is giving it a MAJOR working over about a year after Chevy and Toyota launched their best shots at the current F150.

I do NOT think that GM and Toyota are being THIS dismissive about the next F150.

Why would the put a fake grille on AND then camo it?

BTW, We don't even know it's a Ford. They've ingeniously put electrical tape over the logo on the steering wheel :hysterical:

Seriously. The F150 was ALL NEW in 2004. It still leads the pack in payload and towing AND Ford is giving it a MAJOR working over about a year after Chevy and Toyota launched their best shots at the current F150.

I do NOT think that GM and Toyota are being THIS dismissive about the next F150.

Correct- only a fool would dismiss the largest selling model on the planet. Ford has always had a good understanding of who buys their trucks... and why.

we should not forget the ENGINES this thing will have:

DEBUT:

Base: 3.7l NA V6 for about 300hp.

Midrange: one of the current V8's

TOP: 6.2l V8 - this is the first of the new BOSS engines - it is already making 400hp but Ford is trying to squeeze some more in the final stages of tuning.

DIESEL: 4.4l V8 Turbo Diesel: rumored figures are 330 hp and 515 ft/lbs

2009: GTDI TwinForce 3.5l V6 tuned for 390 ft/lbs @ 2000 rpms and 350 hp. Initial MPG tests have it @ 22mpg city / 26 mpg hwy!!!

2011/2012: GTDI TwinForce 6.2l V8 making at least 625 ft/lbs - this engine will also be offered in the Duper duty as an aletrnative to the diesel.

Finally, Roush was given the 6.2l V8 and they are developing a 7l version.

Igor

I stared and stared at the pics, but there's no indication if the little front fender vent/decal/logo thing will be in this gen F-150 or not. I figure that it will be, but, I'm not that big of a fan of it.

Overall, I'm impressed with the time and effort that was put into the camo on this truck. I like how "strong" the grill looks through the Camo. I also realize that the bed height is somewhat distorted by the extra foam on it, but, I don't believe that they are going to be making the bed any shorter this gen. I'd like them to make an option with special steps integrated into the lower sides of the bed, one fore and aft of the rear wheel. With spring loaded flaps that hold them flush when not in use, but, big enough for a good sized boot to be able to fit in the step hole. And I said option because I realize that not everyone's going to want or like that.

The 2004+ F-150 is still the best looking truck on the road. It's also a very capable work truck. The only thing stealing sales at this point is horsepower, period. The Tundra and Silverado are not better overall trucks than the current F-150. However, they are perceived to be because of the more powerful engine choices. So who cares if this redesign is an evolution of the current F-150, as long as they add the new engine choices. What do you want Ford to do, fuck up the redesign and make it look awkward like the Tundra and Silverado?

Ding! we have a winner, my thoughts exactly... bar owner picked up a new 2007.. and ya, its powerplants numbers are alot lower than chevy, yota etc.. but damn, this is one BAD ASS looking truck... and from what i have been told, it has no issues towing his 8500 trailer camper thingy... sure not 10000, but damn how many really tow that much in a 1/2 ton, most people i know who tow that much get a freaking SD.. and well thats where the Superduty kicks ass.. even with the flamethrower option, which i guess is blown out of proportion as well...

Rich-people only territory.

If Ford was real smart they would be already planning some sort of hybrid or equivilent, this situation is NOT going to get better...EVER! It may go down 50 cents or so, but the public isn't kicking up enough fuss and now companies know they can get away with it...BET it comes down close to the election.....

If Ford were smart, they would not only have more hybrid models on the road, but they would have had a "B" car on the market last year, and six speed trannys in more vehicles.

Ford is always late to the game. It's second nature to them.

I wouldn't really say that, it takes time to develope vehicles of such nature, especially in markets that have seemingly been ignored and now have been brought to the limelight with the fleecing taking place at the pumps....last time I looked Chevy didn't have atrue hybrid, and neither did Dodge, hondas is kinda a joke...that leaves the Evil toyota empire....and I think Ford is further along than most of the competition. It's a double edged sword...bring a car to market too quick encounter problems and you are well and truley screwed....take too long you are last years news....soory or safe...tough call....and the six speed...they are avail...in Autos....where the MAJORITY of buyers lie..THAT's smart business sense.....

If Ford were smart, they would not only have more hybrid models on the road, but they would have had a "B" car on the market last year, and six speed trannys in more vehicles.

Ford is always late to the game. It's second nature to them.

Geez. Ford's six speeds were in their midsize and fullsize sedans half a year ahead of Toyota, and in the Fusion's case, it was also a first in class. Not to mention AWD availability.

Fact: Ford is 'always' late to the game, only when you ignore the glaring instances when it's not.

Just like when you ignore the 300hp/$25k Mustang GT when lamenting the lack of powerful Ford engines.