Ford: Time Is Not Our Friend

I remember having an argument with my old boss a couple of years ago. He said Ford will be fine they have 24 billion in reserve. I guess when you do things like give your new CEO a multimillion dollar bonus after 6 months on the job you can burn through cash pretty quickly. That is one of the things Ford needs to change-the bloated pay they give their top execs. The ones who have been running the company into the ground and getting performance bonuses for it. :finger:

It's a funny a old thing perception, most folk in the UK think Japanese cars are low rent junk that sinks fast in valueand don't buy them, all modern cars are as reliable now days so why do Americans love buying Japanese cars, l find it very hard to perceive why? l don't like the photo of 08 Focus the front end it looks like the car is fretting, most folk would warm to smiling face surely.

Smile please

post-25314-1183381960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

No, it isn't -- there's that big loan they had.

Although -- "[Mark] Fields said it's the first time since 1994 that Ford's cars are outselling its trucks and minivans."

Good or bad ?

Have the car out sell the trucks is not so good when the main reason is that the truck sales are way down....

However, I do think Ford is on the right tack with it's lineup.... However, the Focus and Escape/Mariner still need a lot of attention...

It's a funny a old thing perception, most folk in the UK think Japanese cars are low rent junk that sinks fast in valueand don't buy them, all modern cars are as reliable now days so why do Americans love buying Japanese cars, l find it very hard to perceive why? l don't like the photo of 08 Focus the front end it looks like the car is fretting, most folk would warm to smiling face surely.

Smile please

post-25314-1183381960_thumb.jpg

Most folk in the UK?, Really?

No, that's just your zenophobic perception shining through.

Lots of people buy Japanese and are happy with them and I'm sure their styling suits the bulk of their customer tastes.

Americans have unique styling needs and the cars there reflect this to maximise consumer response.

I laugh when I read about posters who are critical of cars they never intend buying.

I remember having an argument with my old boss a couple of years ago. He said Ford will be fine they have 24 billion in reserve. I guess when you do things like give your new CEO a multimillion dollar bonus after 6 months on the job you can burn through cash pretty quickly. That is one of the things Ford needs to change-the bloated pay they give their top execs. The ones who have been running the company into the ground and getting performance bonuses for it. :finger:

Most of Mulally's pay that first six months was a signing bonus and equity swap for what he lost by leaving Boeing. Basically, he was not fully vested in his bonus and equity program through Boeing (given as part of an award package for being CEO of commercial airplanes, I assume) and to attract him, Ford offered to replace that lost money - $11 million. Another $7.5 million was a signing bonus (it's how you attract talent, which I think we can agree Mulally is). About $1 million of his earnings in the first four months was salary, health, 401k, and perks. He received about $1 million in stock, which will probably be a common bonus for him and not out of the realm of normal CEO bonuses, and $7.8 million in options. Those options probably do not vest immediately, but the have to be declared, so Mulally may actually have no access to this money.

His recurring salary, benefits and perks look to be about $3 million per year, in the normal neighborhood of CEO salaries. His bonus potential is probably tied to stock price and possibly corporate performance measured by other factors (evaluated probably every quarter or every other quarter, usually as a factor of recent trading ranges) and probably involves both cash and stock. Given that he has been managing quite effectively so far, and the stock price reflects that, I would wager that his bonus will be above 10 million this year assuming no disasters before COB on Dec. 31.

And you know, he's worth every penny he's getting paid if Ford's corporate culture is really changing.

And you know, he's worth every penny he's getting paid if Ford's corporate culture is really changing.

Changing a corporate culture is one of the hardest things to do. He may not come from an automotive background, but he has done some things that should have been done years ago. Some changes may seem obvious, but when you have as many people around you as he does, it takes a lot of skill to change attitudes. His payout will be a drop in the bucket to every critic once he turns this ship around.

By the way, who is responsible for the current state of affairs - Nasser? In the past 25 years Ford has had a couple of very positive periods in its history only to once again be in trouble.

By the way, who is responsible for the current state of affairs - Nasser? In the past 25 years Ford has had a couple of very positive periods in its history only to once again be in trouble.

Thats the biggest challenge to Mually...he needs to change the corporate thought that has been going on in Detroit for the past 30 years...In general that is getting away from home run products (Ford examples: Taurus and Explorer) and continually improving products. As for Nasser, he just made problems even worse, Ford's car PD was nil from the 96 Taurus till the 2002 Ford 500 and then the Fusion, which was before he came on board..

Most folk in the UK?, Really?

No, that's just your zenophobic perception shining through.

Lots of people buy Japanese and are happy with them and I'm sure their styling suits the bulk of their customer tastes.

Americans have unique styling needs and the cars there reflect this to maximise consumer response.

I laugh when I read about posters who are critical of cars they never intend buying.

post-25314-1183445963_thumb.jpg

Zenophobic Perceptions NO

Facts YES,

Pointing out that there is lack of love for Toyotas & Honda cars in Europes top 10 best selling cars does not make you Zenophobic.

post-25314-1183445963_thumb.jpg

Zenophobic Perceptions NO

Facts YES,

Pointing out that there is lack of love for Toyotas & Honda cars in Europes top 10 best selling cars does not make you Zenophobic.

I know what Xenophobic means but what is Zenophobic? Never heard of that one! English isn't even my first language! LOL

Maybe Toyotas are junk Ford Jellymoulds but at over 1 million sales in Europe and increasing that says a strong customer base to me.

Apology for calling you Xenophobic, I can spell when I'm sober.

That's Europe. Not Britain.

Britain is its own country -- proud, prim and proper.

Maybe Toyotas are junk Ford Jellymoulds but at over 1 million sales in Europe and increasing that says a strong customer base to me.

Apology for calling you Xenophobic, I can spell when I'm sober.

Thank you for being so humble and apologizing, that is a very rare quality to admired that you don’t see much in folk these days, l just wish politicians were a bit more like you. Still l am not much better after a few beers. 1 million sales in Europe for Toyota for the huge range of vehicles they have in Europe is very poor, Europe is a much bigger Car market for selling into than the US so a million sounds good but it is not. Fords best selling Car in US is the Focus with its sales of just 16,626 in April would make it to the top 50 chart in Europe with sales figures like that. Things that annoy me most are when Ford have had the opportunity to put everything right with things the motoring press have attacked in the old model, are Ford just deaf or stupid l don’t know which. Jeremy Clarkson said the new Mondeo offers nothing new, nothing has changed from the old car, it handles like a dream it is a great car, but is has that same boring bland styling that will let it down again. I feel the same, after an initial blip of sales because it is new, it will slip back due to its high depreciating values on the second hand market. The is nothing more l would like to go out and buy a Mondeo but still find it far to bland. It’s such a shame l think it’s a golden opportunity wasted to put things right, all it needed was for Ford to punch a bit more character and personality into those steel panels, it would have cost Ford nothing extra to do, if they had have done it l an sure it would have knocked the 207 off the top spot in Europe. Instead it will struggle to get anywhere near the Top 10 best sellers in Europe even with the extra $2000 gift Ford are adding to your trade in on the new Mondeo, l thought you only offered that to old out going models that you cant shift? I expect the Transits success is paying for it all. Yes sadly nothing has change, folk will drive straight past the Ford dealers to the local Peugeot dealer in Europe? It hard to believe the character Cortina had this market all sown up in its day, even boring bland best selling Corolla didn’t get a look in, thanks to the mighty Cortina killing off all the Rover competition it should have been plain sailing all the way for the Mondeo . What do you think the Cortina had that the Mondeo has not got, what could this magic ingredient be?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...0/emfcort21.xml

God Bless America & God bless Ford

Have a great 4th of July enjoy Independence day

Don’t forget to make a bit of time for

The key numbers that worry me are:

- Toyota and Honda US sales up by over 10% each this month

- Nissan up by over 20% this month

- GM sales down by 21% (less retail sales yet, but newish product range)

- Ford sales down 8%, again less retail sales but losts of discounts out there

- Ford crossover sales up by 2.1% (but these are new models, how come Land Rover is up by 8% by contrast) Will tese sales drop off in a year's time?

I don't think GM or Ford should relax at all. I find the numbers worrying for the long term. If you look at the last 11 years Fords sales have dropped in every year. Over the last 3 decades Japanese cars have doubled their sales figures.

GM is astonishing as their sales drop is more than twice what was expected (see http://www.thestreet.com/s/ford-chrysler-p...l?puc=googlefi)

In the long run (and I mean over a ten year period) I do wonder if Ford and GM will find that they have'nt repaid loans fast enough to cover a continuous drop in market share.

Edited by TStag

Ford needs to continue with an all out assult of well designed product based on its D3, CD3 and D2C variants.

I see Ford having to step away from existing/traditional types of cars and follow market trends more.

This will involve a much wider spread of vehicles and many will question the wisdom of seemingly dual products.

I think that apart from Camaro, GM Zeta will crash and burn - CAFE will be a big concern without immediate hybrid variants.

Holden is already saying they will have Commodore on smaller RWD architecture by 2012.

Does anyone else think GM is going really suffer more than Ford in the next couple of years?

By comparison, I beleive Falcon Mustang hybrid architecture is the size GM is looking for.

Nice knowing that option is also in Ford's back pocket, options everywhere that is.

Edited by jpd80

What do you think the Cortina had that the Mondeo has not got, what could this magic ingredient be?

The Cortina, likely in part because it was conceived of, and designed under the supervision of an American car company, was the first car in post War Britain that was not conceived with a rationing mind-set. IIRC, sugar was rationed in your country until 1957.

The Cortina was the ideal vehicle for Britain's post War recovery.

These are different times, and no vehicle, not the Mondeo, not any vehicle can have that impact?

Why? Because the Cortina's success was born also from the times and the market. Those times and that market don't exist any more.

- Ford crossover sales up by 2.1% (but these are new models

1) Ford's retail sales are UP, or did you miss the first sentence of the news release today?

2) Ford's crossover sales are up 82%, or did you miss the second sentence of the news release today?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26284

The key numbers that worry me are:

- Toyota and Honda US sales up by over 10% each this month

- Nissan up by over 20% this month

- GM sales down by 21% (less retail sales yet, but newish product range)

- Ford crossover sales up by 2.1% (but these are new models, how come Land Rover is up by 8% by contrast) Will tese sales drop off in a year's time?

I don't think GM or Ford should relax at all. I find the numbers worrying for the long term. If you look at the last 11 years Fords sales have dropped in every year. Over the last 3 decades Japanese cars have doubled their sales figures.

GM is astonishing as their sales drop is more than twice what was expected (see http://www.thestreet.com/s/ford-chrysler-p...l?puc=googlefi)

In the long run (and I mean over a ten year period) I do wonder if Ford and GM will find that they have'nt repaid loans fast enough to cover a continuous drop in market share.

I thought crossover sales were up a great deal more than that.....and that 2.1 percent would work out to a bigger numbr than that 8...