Honda Sued Over Mileage Claims

ANTAUS

I'm surprised nobody has sued the EPA itself for using obviously outdated and inaccurate methods for calculating the fuel economy in the first place. You can't blame the automakers for tweaking their cars to perform better on the EPA's test.

yes it is kinda a joke...but interestingly enough two well documented offenders come from manufacturers that CONSTANTLY tout their LINEUPS mileage.....hmmmmm....

Heh...Ford better watch it with the Taurus "Safest Car in America" campaigning, someone with a lawyer might just check the NHTSA site and start to think otherwise.... :reading:

And what on the NHTSA site would lead this "someone" to believe otherwise? Do tell. :reading:

There was another suit against Honda about the odometer being fraudulent on Civics. This was last year that the class action suit took place. I had a 2002 Civic at the time and received the paperwork about the suit. I read the details and all that would happen upon winning the suit is our warranties would be extended for the estimated discrepency time. Of course, if your warranty already exceeded the total years of coverage, nothing would happen. Unless you'd had work done out of pocket due to milage being exceeded first.

Anyway, it was a worthless effort. Very curious though that Honda would have such a large number of vehicles with odometers that run up miles early. Could this perhaps be why people think they've put "90,000 miles on their Honda without a problem?" Maybe cause it was actually 70,000 miles instead.

Edited by Meelaan

There was another suit against Honda about the odometer being fraudulent on Civics. This was last year that the class action suit took place. I had a 2002 Civic at the time and received the paperwork about the suit. I read the details and all that would happen upon winning the suit is our warranties would be extended for the estimated discrepency time. Of course, if your warranty already exceeded the total years of coverage, nothing would happen. Unless you'd had work done out of pocket due to milage being exceeded first.

Anyway, it was a worthless effort. Very curious though that Honda would have such a large number of vehicles with odometers that run up miles early. Could this perhaps be why people think they've put "90,000 miles on their Honda without a problem?" Maybe cause it was actually 70,000 miles instead.

may be the cause of their frivilous mileage claims...you thinj you have done 45 miles on one gallon when you hav ACTUALLY done 37!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes it is kinda a joke...but interestingly enough two well documented offenders come from manufacturers that CONSTANTLY tout their LINEUPS mileage.....hmmmmm....

I find it interesting that Toyota in its advertising touts 40mpg highway for its compact Corolla and only 38mpg highway for its subcompact Yaris. I have also read many personal reviews of the new Camry and their consistent complaint in almost every case is disappointing fuel mileage. Hardly anyone is getting close to EPA ratings, 4 or 6 cylinder. I have often wondered how Toyota gets such optimistic fuel mileage figures out of EPA that no one gets in real world. Me thinks Toyota buyers have to get those figures on sticker out of their head and drop them at least 10% or more. I guess Ford should try some smoke and mirrors too and get 40mpg out of Focus and 36mpg out of Fusion I4 and not worry that customers will not get those numbers as Toyota gets away with it.

I find it interesting that Toyota in its advertising touts 40mpg highway for its compact Corolla and only 38mpg highway for its subcompact Yaris. I have also read many personal reviews of the new Camry and their consistent complaint in almost every case is disappointing fuel mileage. Hardly anyone is getting close to EPA ratings, 4 or 6 cylinder. I have often wondered how Toyota gets such optimistic fuel mileage figures out of EPA that no one gets in real world. Me thinks Toyota buyers have to get those figures on sticker out of their head and drop them at least 10% or more. I guess Ford should try some smoke and mirrors too and get 40mpg out of Focus and 36mpg out of Fusion I4 and not worry that customers will not get those numbers as Toyota gets away with it.

Unfortunately Fords damage control team seem to be amatuers in comparo with our Japanese competition...if Ford pulled the same shite CNN is ALL over it! can you IMAGINE if Ford had a sludge/ breaking camshafts, HORRIBLE crash ratings etc etc....would be plastered everywhere....

Any idea what the Camry really is getting in the mpg department?

Any idea what the Camry really is getting in the mpg department?

This shit is not funny because it was people's perception of great fuel mileage that aggravated the Toyota takeover as #1 selling automaker. It's a f-cking sham, I can't beleave that Their allowed to advertise 60 MPG on the Prius when it's actually getting 43 MPG. If that ain't false advertising I don't know what is. The real problem comes in when the government Imposes higher CAFE standards and we can't sell our products that don't meet the standards. How would they even know if we meet the requirements if the EPA has been measuring MPG for years and still can't get it right! You can use this link to get actual mileage reporting from actual customers. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

This shit is not funny because it was people's perception of great fuel mileage that aggravated the Toyota takeover as #1 selling automaker. It's a f-cking sham, I can't beleave that Their allowed to advertise 60 MPG on the Prius when it's actually getting 43 MPG. If that ain't false advertising I don't know what is. The real problem comes in when the government Imposes higher CAFE standards and we can't sell our products that don't meet the standards. How would they even know if we meet the requirements if the EPA has been measuring MPG for years and still can't get it right! You can use this link to get actual mileage reporting from actual customers. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Actually the EPA will continue to use the old mileage number for calculating CAFE. The method has not changed and new numbers are just the old numbers with a fudge factor. Basically the new numbers are the consumer facing numbers and only appear on the window sticker, so for the auto manufactures achieving 35MPG average is easier than you might think.

Guy 2 doors down is on his second 2007 Camry. Last one was bought back because of the tranny. He's quite upset. His first Camry was getting 24 to 25 in mixed driving. His new one is getting around 19 last I talked to him.

Yep, that sounds about right from the personal reviews I read...at least 50 of them with main theme being disappointing fuel mileage. Many seemed to think 4 cylinder should get upper 20's average as advertised, but were experiencing lower 20's average. I know that Toyota advertised that new Camry would be more powerful and get better gas mileage like they always do, but not the case from what I have read. I assume some of the drivers are their own worse enemy when it comes to fuel mileage because of aggressive driving, but even factoring that in it still seems that the new Camry comes up short. It should mean that Toyota is setting itself up for disappointed customers, but so far if you look at the numbers you would think Camry customers were lined up hours before Dealer opens to smack down $22,000+ for new Camry. My God!!! 50,000 Camrys sold in one month. Unbelievable.

Never underesimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

Guy 2 doors down is on his second 2007 Camry. Last one was bought back because of the tranny. He's quite upset. His first Camry was getting 24 to 25 in mixed driving. His new one is getting around 19 last I talked to him.

Awww... Too bad for him. Well when his new 2nd Camry takes a shit. I have a 1988 Lincoln Town Car that gets better highway gas mileage than that Toyota piece of shit! And I'll gladly sell it to him for the right price... MY PRICE! :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...