LEAKED: 08 Falcon ORION Picks !!!!!!!!!

igor

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like the old one except for the front. Everybody complained when they made a new Explorer with the same greenhouse as the old one. It does look better and it would be a good fresh face here, but because it is unique to us here we like it. In AUS (where they are used to this shape), it may not help the cars sales much.

It looks like the old one except for the front. Everybody complained when they made a new Explorer with the same greenhouse as the old one. It does look better and it would be a good fresh face here, but because it is unique to us here we like it. In AUS (where they are used to this shape), it may not help the cars sales much.

Except for the front? There's nothing carryover on the sheetmetal at all. Even the roof stamping is new, as they lengthened the greenhouse and rear door openings. Door handle design and side creases are also entirely different.

the engineering is somewhat carryover, but the whole body is new .. but yes .. the styling is conservative in its shape and proportions .. and so it resembles the old model .. however the belt line is moved and angled, the roof is longer, the whole rear seat are a is longer, the trunk and hood are all different, the wheels are further pushed to the corners ..

there is very little actually in common .. the car simply looks like a new Falcon .. instead of looking like a completely unrelated car ..

Igor

Except for the front? There's nothing carryover on the sheetmetal at all. Even the roof stamping is new, as they lengthened the greenhouse and rear door openings. Door handle design and side creases are also entirely different.

The Explorer was all new but looked too much like the old one too.

The Explorer was all new but looked too much like the old one too.

Most of the window frames and door openings remained identical, as did the roof stamping, so the silhouette was fundamentally identical. The silhouette of the Orion Falcon is quite a bit different than the current one.

there is very little actually in common .. the car simply looks like a new Falcon .. instead of looking like a completely unrelated car ..

This is exactly what I was getting at in another thread about Ford's NA design language. They need to stick with something, so the new models are still actually identifiable as being the same model, only newer. With the constant flip-flopping on design themes, every generation of car from Ford NA these days ends up looking like it shouldn't even be carrying the same name. This car looks new, but it is also immediately recognizable as a Falcon. I think the only vehicle Ford NA has been entirely successful at with this is the Mustang (and even that had a completely different non-Mustang look throughout the 80's).

Yes I do see the body panels are different. The best way I can explain what I'm thinking is that this look like what they did to change the 94 Mustang into the 99-2004 Mustang. They changed the body panels but it still has a simmilar look. Yes, I know they made quite a few changes to the Falcon and it is a nicer car for it, but to me it still looks a lot like the older one. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to that and I respect yours NickF1011, but I don't agree.

Look at this, a polite Blue oval arguement for a change!

Yes I do see the body panels are different. The best way I can explain what I'm thinking is that this look like what they did to change the 94 Mustang into the 99-2004 Mustang. They changed the body panels but it still has a simmilar look. Yes, I know they made quite a few changes to the Falcon and it is a nicer car for it, but to me it still looks a lot like the older one. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to that and I respect yours NickF1011, but I don't agree.

Well, there is still a family resemblence, which I don't think is a bad thing. After all, there's only so many ways to change a particular model on an existing platform without making it unrecognizable as that model at all.

Look at this, a polite Blue oval arguement for a change!

Fuck off, pansy!!! :stirpot:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :hysterical:

As a GT car or something like that, I can see where that can look pretty cool. More of a GTO fighter. But as an everyday CV, I dont think it would appeal to the masses.

I did a REAL quick chop, smoothed out some of the lines, and reduced to lower intake. I know it doesnt look as exciting as the original, but something along these lines , I feel would have broader appeal

sorry...good work...but makes the car too blah...too GTO-ish.........

I'd rather be driving an "Alice Cooper", than a "brace face". ;)

LMAO, Wuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! He gotcha MeeeLaaan.

I wasn't sure what to say myself but I knew that as an owner of a Mercury Milan I'm afraid you don't have a dog in the race that can say this Orion car is ugly. Nothing against the Milan I happen to like it, but the Orion is clearly a better looking car.

the engineering is somewhat carryover, but the whole body is new .. but yes .. the styling is conservative in its shape and proportions .. and so it resembles the old model .. however the belt line is moved and angled, the roof is longer, the whole rear seat are a is longer, the trunk and hood are all different, the wheels are further pushed to the corners ..

Igor

That's the hallmark of the Falcon, evolution not revolution.

Nick,

Thanks for getting on board with comments regarding the Orion,

I know you felt the first couple of pictures snapped in Australia were bland for your tastes.

When you look past what is offered for the Aussie market, you can see its potential.

It's important the Americans have access to this car to shape it to suit NA tastes then it will succeed.

Edited by jpd80

so how much will it cost to import one?

A WHOLE heck of alot of money!!! The FPV-GT V8 cars are usually in the low $60's AUS dollars to start. I was just on FPV.com.au pricing a GT out. With all the options, including a moonroof, nav, parking aid, and the upgraded 6 pot Brembos, the price came to a staggering $74,500 AUS! In US money, thats well over $50,000! Now if they were to sell it here, the price would be lowered substantially, since the technology and R & D would be spread over a larger scale (more than just the Australian and NZ markets), hence making the car price more in line with others. I think the car would cost about the same as the SRT8 Hemis.

About getting one here, you could probably get them here under "Show and Display" exception, but it would cost serious cash to do so!! If I won the powerball, I'd get a few of these shipped here in a heartbeat. Just make one of mine Conquer Blue with the white stripes.

Edited by 05fordgt

A WHOLE heck of alot of money!!! The FPV-GT V8 cars are usually in the low $60's AUS dollars to start. I was just on FPV.com.au pricing a GT out. With all the options, including a moonroof, nav, parking aid, and the upgraded 6 pot Brembos, the price came to a staggering $74,500 AUS! In US money, thats well over $50,000! Now if they were to sell it here, the price would be lowered substantially, since the technology and R & D would be spread over a larger scale (more than just the Australian and NZ markets), hence making the car price more in line with others. I think the car would cost about the same as the SRT8 Hemis.

About getting one here, you could probably get them here under "Show and Display" exception, but it would cost serious cash to do so!! If I won the powerball, I'd get a few of these shipped here in a heartbeat. Just make one of mine Conquer Blue with the white stripes.

Not to mention the RHD to LHD conversion cost...

Skoda's Octavia sells for $10,000 less than a Mondeo with a much better build quality offers the best buy in this class of all the same shape generic computer boring bland dull jellymould range of cars. Ford needs to break the mould to get ahead here.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/dr...ctavia_new.html

Here is the cars spec, for all you lovers of spec.

http://www.newoctaviavrs.co.uk/

With the same platform and engine as a Audi TT, you get oh so much of the Audi's quality for peanuts in a Skoda

http://www.classic-spares.net/CD%20Info/VAG%20EPC.htm

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I believe that is the twin to the VW Passat? And yes, in 99 and even now, the standard engine can be found in Audi products. Unfortunately, in the U.S., VW and even Audi in that regard are very unreliable.... I mean, they are near the BOTTOM in reliability research data...and the new ones aren't getting any better...

Not sure how reliable they might be in Europe...I believe ours here in N.A. come from Mexico...

^^^Actually ... sorry to bore you with details ,, but no, the Octavia is based on the Golf / Jetta .

VW has been making Skodas always "half class bigger" - basing them on smaller platforms and then increasing the size / interior space to max .. so while the Octavia is ALMOST the size of a Passat, it is based on the Golf, and thus much cheaper.

The Skoda Superb is based on the Passat.

Igor

Edited by igor

That Skoda looks like it's from 1995.

This is Auto Express, Skoda's website today, the year is 2007 that the readership of Britains best selling motoring magazine voted the Skoda Octavia No1 in a top 100 cars sold in UK, l noticed that it said the Octavia sells for £6,000 roughly $12,000, so sorry about the mistake, the new Mondeo starts at £14,995 in the UK so that makes the Skoda with the better build quality about $18,000 cheaper than the same shaped Mondeo. Sorry for the mistake.

Skoda Octavia platform

http://www.skoda-octavia.info/history/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

This is Auto Express, Skoda's website today, the year is 2007 that the readership of Britains best selling motoring magazine voted the Skoda Octavia No1 in a top 100 cars sold in UK, l noticed that it said the Octavia sells for £6,000 roughly $12,000, so sorry about the mistake, the new Mondeo starts at £14,995 in the UK so that makes the Skoda with the better build quality about $18,000 cheaper than the same shaped Mondeo. Sorry for the mistake.

Skoda Octavia platform

http://www.skoda-octavia.info/history/

The Octavia is listed as starting at £11,050 on the UK site. As The Octavia is Golf based, i should be compared to the Focus IMHO

The Superb, which is Passat based, is more Mondeo material...and it starts at £13,995