In the Autoblog Garage - 08 Taurus X Limited

igor

I'm baffled by the negative reaction to this vehicle...the new front is just what it needed. I'm also not seeing how the Pilot and Highlander are better looking. The Pacifica is more highly "styled," but it looks dated, and has an interior that promotes claustrophobia.

The Acadia and Outlook look much bigger outside, and, as the reviewers noted, are about 800 pounds heavier. I drove a rental GMC Acadia for two days, and it did not seem especially roomy for its size. If anything, it reminded me of my parents' 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale - it was roomy inside because it was huge outside.

IMO, just a few bashers trying to start something. The Taurus X is a better vehicle in every way than Freestyle. However, if you didn't like the Freestyle at all you are not going to like this vehicle either. Simple as that. I wish the bashers on here would just say they don't like the vehicle period instead of picking the vehicle apart with lame arguments. As for the new GM CUV's, they are aguably the best looking CUV's on market and look ever so modern. To me, from afar they look almost mid sized, but when you walk up to them they look as big as Chevy Tahoe. They are massive in size. For a family vehicle, they are great, but for couple or one person they look like overkill they are that big. I could see a single person buying the Edge, but not an Acadia.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, just a few bashers trying to start something. The Taurus X is a better vehicle in every way than Freestyle. However, if you didn't like the Freestyle at all you are not going to like this vehicle either. Simple as that. I wish the bashers on here would just say they don't like the vehicle period instead of picking the vehicle apart with lame arguments. As for the new GM CUV's, they are aguably the best looking CUV's on market and look ever so modern. To me, from afar they look almost mid sized, but when you walk up to them they look as big as Chevy Tahoe. They are massive in size. For a family vehicle, they are great, but for couple or one person they look like overkill they are that big. I could see a single person buying the Edge, but not an Acadia.

I would say the saturn looks good...but the acadia...no....it looks very bloated....

I would say the saturn looks good...but the acadia...no....it looks very bloated....

When I parked the rental GMC Acadia at work, it towered over the vehicles in the other spaces...it seemed as big as a Tahoe.

I saw an Outlook in a shopping center parking lot today. It looks huge, especially in regard to its height...but don't know if I would necessarily call it "bloated." It also didn't strike me as being that much more modern than anything else in that class.

When I parked the rental GMC Acadia at work, it towered over the vehicles in the other spaces...it seemed as big as a Tahoe.

I saw an Outlook in a shopping center parking lot today. It looks huge, especially in regard to its height...but don't know if I would necessarily call it "bloated." It also didn't strike me as being that much more modern than anything else in that class.

I did notice that the new Buick Enclave looks smaller ( nearly the same look as the Mazda CX-9) even though it is roughly the same size. An optical illusion I guess....

Well the Saturn and the GMC are completely the same outside, except for maybe the grill/headlights and rear lights. So I'm not sure how one could look bloated if the other one doesn't. I don't necessarily like either of them, they are large when viewed from the exterior. I do like the looks of Buick, which has different exterior body treatment.

Well the Saturn and the GMC are completely the same outside, except for maybe the grill/headlights and rear lights. So I'm not sure how one could look bloated if the other one doesn't. I don't necessarily like either of them, they are large when viewed from the exterior. I do like the looks of Buick, which has different exterior body treatment.

The sharp edges of the outlook make it look much better than the acadia and the buick....

I have a friend who recently bought an Outlook, and she's quite pleased with it. For what it is, (and considering GM) it's a pretty good product overall, it's 95% there. All it really needs is the 306HP 3.6L DI V6. But overall it's a pleasing vehicle. Granted, she saw what the new Flex will look like and now she's all goo-goo-ga-ga over it so most probably the Outlook will go to the husband so she can get the Flex.

I saw the Enclave outside a local Starbucks. They were giving away things and from what I overheard, many people were pretty impressed with the vehicle (as so was I)...particularly the interior material quality which is uncommon for GM's. Granted, I don't think it'll set the world on fire,nor do I think it'll bring people into the Buick brand, but it's a solid offering as well.

Ford actually has 4...escape and mariner are crossovers....though they don't advertise them as such.....mercry does have one.

True.

I've argued two things on this website, 1. that Mercury needs a CUV and 2. that Mercury needs to shut down.

I'd prefer that Mercury was simply phased out, but barring that Mercury needs a serious product offensive to better meet the needs of its targeted demographic - women. A "Mercury-ized" Edge is perfect for the middle-aged single and/or childless woman seeking a stylish utility-type vehicle. Likewise, a safe and very functional "Mercury-ized" Taurus X would be easy to sell to women with families (esp. small children) who want style, utility, and safety. But, for whatever reason, Ford canned the "Mercury Freestyle" for this last go around.

And since it was canned, it leads me to my follow-up point: shut it down. But that's another topic for another day.

Scott

I was a staunch advocate of making a mercury freestyle and dumping the Mountaineer. No one goes to Mercury looking for a 4X4 and I can tell you the number of Mountaineers that I have seen that looked like they had ever been farther off the pavement than a kid's soccer field. None. A comfortable, stylish, and economical to operate CUV with three rows would have been perfect for the brand.

I still firmly believe that the only reason that the Mountaineer stayed and the Freestyle didn't get the Mercury redo was that the L/M dealers pushed to maintain a midsized true SUV, that the Explorer crowd within Ford wanted to keep the plant utalization up, and that there was no true push to keep Chicago as busy as possible.

Here are its competitors:

Honda Pilot

Toyota Highlander

Saturn Outlook

GMC Acadia

Chrysler Pacifica

That's it. Nissan doesn't have any vehicle REMOTELY like this. Land Rover... apples and oranges. This is a THREE ROW CROSSOVER, designed for passenger and cargo hauling, and a CAR-LIKE driving experience. The LR2 is a full size smaller, and is off-road oriented.

No one is yet to explain why this isn't best in class.

who needs THREE ROWS? damn man either keep it in your pants or get a bus. not everyone wants a life like Jim Guy Duggar.

At the body shop level they partly solve this by using ground straps and anti-static chemicals or wipes,you can also change the way the metallics/pearls lay out by different air pressures and gun techniques.

At a mass produced level this isnt feasible.

This isnt an adhesion problem or primer problem.

They are painted in different places by using different techniques and equipment,this isnt an el-cheapo problem it affects luxury models as well.

we never really used ground straps but anti static wipes and cleaners were on the bill for painting plastic parts. Primer should always be used and with most of the paint companies specifications, there is usually a flex additive in the primers and the clearcoats that is part of their plastic painting process.

As was said, its not a cheap car problem. I did a color for a Mercedes S500 once. It was a goldish milky color called Designo Silver. Got the color down right for the body and when it was time to spray, it didnt match the bumper. the bumper had more of a green tint to it. So even on a $90K car, bumpers still dont match. Im pretty sure the Ford in the pics had other issues possibly with early production.