Is New Escape the One?

FordBuyer

I figured that Ford needs a hit right now other than the F-Series that has been carrying the load too long. The Mustang was certainly a hit, but sales usually fall significantly during winter months. The Explorer used to help carry the load, but those days seem gone even with the Sport Trac. The Fusion looked like the one, but sales have been steady but unspectacular. Ranger sales have skidded down so that vehicle is not going to save Ford. Edge sales look promising, but I doubt if they will be what Fusion sales are and will be as Ford improves Fusion lineup. So that leaves the Escape that has always been strong seller, but was skidding down like Explorer sales not long ago.

Last two months Escape sales have been few units short of 20,000/month. Very impressive indeed and Mariner sales are exploding like no other Ford vehicle in quite some time. Kansas City is working overtime and still cannot even approach meeting demand for vehicle in all its forms. Ford Dealers around me are woefully short of much stock as Escape moves off lots quickly. Ditto for Mariner at Lincoln/Mercury Dealers. For example, Bill Brown Ford got big shipment of Escapes recently and already that stock is picked through and not much left.

IMO, the Escape/Mariner seems to be the "annoited one" for now after the F-Series for sales volume. Escape/Mariner have quietly become big, big sellers for Ford as E-vans, Focus, and Mustang on a good month are only vehicles in Ford's lineup to approach Escape sales numbers. Count in Mariner sales numbers and F-Series is only vehicle that sells better than Escape/Mariner.

If Ford can get the new drivetrian into these hot sellers by next year sometime and increase fuel mileage some more, they could be the hit Ford needs right now. They are the best looking small utes on market and their sales prove it. Sometimes your big hits come from the most unlikely source. And I must believe that Ford is making PROFIT from selling 25,000 Escape/Mariners every month.

I was not sure what the Escape was all about coming from Europe, just had a look in at Fords website its looks a winner that could sell in Europe for Ford, and it could fill another black hole in Europe’s empty line up together with a dedicated sports car that’s another empty black hole that maybe a Mustang could fill providing both could have engines that give better MPG. Your right the Escape is quietly working away in the background helping Ford bottom line profit. I like it. All we have is eternal boredom in Europe at moment it would be nice to get something exciting for a change to relieve the blandness.

I figured that Ford needs a hit right now other than the F-Series that has been carrying the load too long. The Mustang was certainly a hit, but sales usually fall significantly during winter months. The Explorer used to help carry the load, but those days seem gone even with the Sport Trac. The Fusion looked like the one, but sales have been steady but unspectacular. Ranger sales have skidded down so that vehicle is not going to save Ford. Edge sales look promising, but I doubt if they will be what Fusion sales are and will be as Ford improves Fusion lineup. So that leaves the Escape that has always been strong seller, but was skidding down like Explorer sales not long ago.

Last two months Escape sales have been few units short of 20,000/month. Very impressive indeed and Mariner sales are exploding like no other Ford vehicle in quite some time. Kansas City is working overtime and still cannot even approach meeting demand for vehicle in all its forms. Ford Dealers around me are woefully short of much stock as Escape moves off lots quickly. Ditto for Mariner at Lincoln/Mercury Dealers. For example, Bill Brown Ford got big shipment of Escapes recently and already that stock is picked through and not much left.

IMO, the Escape/Mariner seems to be the "annoited one" for now after the F-Series for sales volume. Escape/Mariner have quietly become big, big sellers for Ford as E-vans, Focus, and Mustang on a good month are only vehicles in Ford's lineup to approach Escape sales numbers. Count in Mariner sales numbers and F-Series is only vehicle that sells better than Escape/Mariner.

If Ford can get the new drivetrian into these hot sellers by next year sometime and increase fuel mileage some more, they could be the hit Ford needs right now. They are the best looking small utes on market and their sales prove it. Sometimes your big hits come from the most unlikely source. And I must believe that Ford is making PROFIT from selling 25,000 Escape/Mariners every month.

I agree that the Escape/Mariner is a good value for what you get and should appeal to many more buyers looking for somthing more fuel efficient. However, I do think that some of the sales number we have seen in the last few months is skewed a little by the hefty rebates on the left over 2007 models. There is even $750-$1000 rebate on the 2008 Escape/Mariner models. ( An additional $1,000 for repeate buyers on Mariners ) Since the 2007's are nearly all sold off now, so we should get a good picture of how well the 2008 models sells on it's own in the next couple of months. It looks like it is going to do quite well considering how out of date it's drive line has become. I think agressive pricing is helping to move it in the face of more up to date competative models.

IMHO, if ford can get the HP up to the 250hp mark with either a direct injection 3.0L ( or a 3.5L ) V6 and add a gear or two, I think it will sell much more than 25K per month. The vehicle is about as small as an SUV can get and still be quite usefull. I was always suprised at how much stuff I could get in my 2005 Mariner. It's main flaw was extream road/wind noise. The 2008 model is a little quiter and that should help move inventory.

I agree that the Escape/Mariner is a good value for what you get and should appeal to many more buyers looking for somthing more fuel efficient. However, I do think that some of the sales number we have seen in the last few months is skewed a little by the hefty rebates on the left over 2007 models. There is even $750-$1000 rebate on the 2008 Escape/Mariner models. ( An additional $1,000 for repeate buyers on Mariners ) Since the 2007's are nearly all sold off now, so we should get a good picture of how well the 2008 models sells on it's own in the next couple of months. It looks like it is going to do quite well considering how out of date it's drive line has become. I think agressive pricing is helping to move it in the face of more up to date competative models.

I've been seeing new Escapes since April of this year, I really doubt that 07 Escapes are or had an effect on the huge sales increases posted the past couple months. I'm sure that Ford let the 07 Production peter out since the ramp up of the 08 models and there isn't a huge backlog of 07s waiting to get sold. Nearly all new Ford launched products have a 1K rebate on them, just to make people feel like they getting something for nothing. I'm amazed at how well the Escape is selling, I can't swing a dead cat and not see one when I'm on the roads...

I've been seeing new Escapes since April of this year, I really doubt that 07 Escapes are or had an effect on the huge sales increases posted the past couple months. I'm sure that Ford let the 07 Production peter out since the ramp up of the 08 models and there isn't a huge backlog of 07s waiting to get sold. Nearly all new Ford launched products have a 1K rebate on them, just to make people feel like they getting something for nothing. I'm amazed at how well the Escape is selling, I can't swing a dead cat and not see one when I'm on the roads...

Yep, the Dealers around me have not had any '07 Escapes for months and lots just have the '08 and not many since they sell so fast. Not since the '05 Mustang have I seen so many new units move off lots so quickly. The new Escape/Mariner is selling about as well as Ford could hope for.

If you include Mariner sales as I think you should since they are pretty much same vehicle, then they are easily best selling small ute out there bar none. You are talking about 25,000/month, and that is getting close to Corolla/Camry territory. Not quite, but getting there. Its starting to look like maybe Ford can sell every Escape/Mariner they can produce. Nice problem to have for once. And who would of thought Escape/Mariner with same drivetrain could sell like that.

With the new Focus getting completely new skin and new interior also with cool features like ambient lighting and Sync, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope new Focus can sell like new Escape with lower incentives. Add in the new Taurus/Taurus/Sable hopefully selling significantly better, then maybe Ford will be making some kind of sales comeback. It will be decent start anyway. Let's hope.

I was not sure what the Escape was all about coming from Europe, just had a look in at Fords website its looks a winner that could sell in Europe for Ford, and it could fill another black hole in Europe’s empty line up together with a dedicated sports car that’s another empty black hole that maybe a Mustang could fill providing both could have engines that give better MPG. Your right the Escape is quietly working away in the background helping Ford bottom line profit. I like it. All we have is eternal boredom in Europe at moment it would be nice to get something exciting for a change to relieve the blandness.

http://www.ford.de/ns7/maverick/-/-/-/-/4/46

They sell the Escape on the continent.

Yep, the Dealers around me have not had any '07 Escapes for months and lots just have the '08 and not many since they sell so fast. Not since the '05 Mustang have I seen so many new units move off lots so quickly. The new Escape/Mariner is selling about as well as Ford could hope for.

If you include Mariner sales as I think you should since they are pretty much same vehicle, then they are easily best selling small ute out there bar none. You are talking about 25,000/month, and that is getting close to Corolla/Camry territory. Not quite, but getting there. Its starting to look like maybe Ford can sell every Escape/Mariner they can produce. Nice problem to have for once. And who would of thought Escape/Mariner with same drivetrain could sell like that.

With the new Focus getting completely new skin and new interior also with cool features like ambient lighting and Sync, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope new Focus can sell like new Escape with lower incentives. Add in the new Taurus/Taurus/Sable hopefully selling significantly better, then maybe Ford will be making some kind of sales comeback. It will be decent start anyway. Let's hope.

The dealer in my area has been getting as many 08s as they can and they have one 07 left...they are selling like mad....

Edited by suv_guy_19

The Escape's sales aren't a bit surprise to me. For six years, they sold basically the same vehicle. It was fairly reliable (after problems at launch, from what I recall), drove nicely, was roomy, good-looking, and was a Ford, the SUV leader. The Escape caught a lot of people trading down from Explorers, since it did the same thing the 1990's Explorer did, except in a better driving and significantly more fuel efficient package. Also, I'm willing to bet the Escape has enjoyed a significant halo effect from the hybrid model. The hybrid would pull people into showrooms, impress customers, but when it came down to buying, many people just went with a cheaper I4 or V6 model.

So now, for 2008, we have a new Escape. Although here on the internet, we know that the Escape is the same chassis, has carryover powertrains, and REAR DRUM BRAKES, to Escape buyers, they saw an ALL-NEW Escape that still did everything their beloved old Escape did, except in a new, good-looking package that drives nicer and quieter.

The Escape teaches a valuable lesson to all of us. The Escape was not the best-executed redesign we've seen. But, it shows what happens when Ford builds a nice-driving, good-looking, reliable car for years, and then introduces a better second generation. It will bring in satisfied repeat buyers, as well as their friends who've heard owners rave about how much they love them.

This also demonstrates how little what's under the hood or between the wheels really matters to 90% of the buying public. I was also upset with Ford for making no substantive changes under the hood on in the tranny. I felt that they missed an opportunity to improve the mpg figures for the vehicle when they had the chance (adopt the Fusion 5AT for the escape I-4, use the VCT d30 in the V6 model). But, it appears that neither change was required for the early adopters.

Judging by these sales, I suggest that a mid cycle update to the PIP D30 and a possible tranny change for the I4 and V6 would manage to keep sales at these levels until the time comes for the full redo in a few years.

Judging by these sales, I suggest that a mid cycle update to the PIP D30 and a possible tranny change for the I4 and V6 would manage to keep sales at these levels until the time comes for the full redo in a few years.

It's definitely coming. I saw an 08 Escape with powertrain testing equipment on it today coming from Livonia Transmission, which just so happens to be gearing up to produce a 6 speed auto...

It's definitely coming. I saw an 08 Escape with powertrain testing equipment on it today coming from Livonia Transmission, which just so happens to be gearing up to produce a 6 speed auto...

With the new 6 speed trans that is coming next year or thereabouts, the Escape will be best in class in many ways since it already is best looking. Say what you will about the 3 liter duratec V-6, but it is one durable, reliable engine. My personal car has this engine and it never misses a beat. My company car with 80,000 miles has same engine and ditto. No driveability issues and other than oil and air filter changes, it just goes and fuel mileage is about same as new with 80,000 miles on odometer. It has message center and in mixed driving stays right around 22mpg. Of course the 3.5 liter V6 and 2.5 liter I4 would be awesome in new Escape, but present 3 liter is nice engine. One of Ford's better ones if you factor in its great durability.

With the new 6 speed trans that is coming next year or thereabouts, the Escape will be best in class in many ways since it already is best looking. Say what you will about the 3 liter duratec V-6, but it is one durable, reliable engine. My personal car has this engine and it never misses a beat. My company car with 80,000 miles has same engine and ditto. No driveability issues and other than oil and air filter changes, it just goes and fuel mileage is about same as new with 80,000 miles on odometer. It has message center and in mixed driving stays right around 22mpg. Of course the 3.5 liter V6 and 2.5 liter I4 would be awesome in new Escape, but present 3 liter is nice engine. One of Ford's better ones if you factor in its great durability.

I agree - My Escape's 3.0L is strong enough, good fuel economy but its 4sp really gets on my nerves sometimes. It does need at least another gear between 2nd a 3rd. With a good transmission, I would mind keeping the 3.0L as is...

Wow, Ford is making upgrades within 2-3 years with interiors, exteriors, and powertrains. Same as the Five Hundred/Taurus, Fusion, Edge and Focus (debatable). Perhaps the tide has turned. I have heard stories about the D30 and it's a great piece of kit. The 4A maybe the weak link in this configuration but my point is it seems Ford is doing something about it. Way to go!

The Escape teaches a valuable lesson to all of us. The Escape was not the best-executed redesign we've seen. But, it shows what happens when Ford builds a nice-driving, good-looking, reliable car for years, and then introduces a better second generation. It will bring in satisfied repeat buyers, as well as their friends who've heard owners rave about how much they love them.

Sounds like a CamCord to me. :shades:

The Escape/Mariner must be doing very well. I ordered one at the beginning of the month and the base price listed on the order confirmation printout for a Mariner premiere went up about $200 from what was listed on Mercury's web site. I checked Mercury's web site a week later, and sure enough, it was updated to reflect the higher price.

I guess I waited just a bit too long to place my order!

I think that the same plant produces the Mazda Tribute as well guys. So, production should be a bit higher than your guesstimate of 25,000 units per month. Mercury Dealer near me said that Mazda outsells the Mariner...!

Tribute YTD

Mariner YTD

Escape YTD

The Escape/Mariner must be doing very well. I ordered one at the beginning of the month and the base price listed on the order confirmation printout for a Mariner premiere went up about $200 from what was listed on Mercury's web site. I checked Mercury's web site a week later, and sure enough, it was updated to reflect the higher price.

I guess I waited just a bit too long to place my order!

It looks like the new Escape is still selling well as for July inventory level has dropped to 32 day supply from 34 day supply in June as 60 day supply is considered ideal. They are still moving fast off of dealer lots. In fact, it you look at inventory levels, the Escape is moving off of lots quicker than any model Ford has including Focus. It is simply one of the hottest selling vehicles out there. I have been noticing that many young women seem to be driving them...both Escape and Mariner. Good for Ford as women are educated ones nowadays and the ones getting the good jobs and income that goes with it.