http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3880

By Sajeev Mehta

June 9, 2007

The “tumblehome” is the narrowing of a car’s profile from its beltline to its roof. This design trick creates a sleek, visually trim appearance without losing interior space. The tumblehome was once a hallmark of American automotive design, gracing evocative machines like the Plymouth Barracuda, Buick Riviera and Ford Thunderbird. In today’s Minivan-esque sedans and family-truckster CUVs, it’s hopelessly out of fashion. Now that Ford’s axing the Lincoln Town Car, it time to ask: should Detroit let this proud, once popular design tradition go quietly into that long good night?

Born as a separate model in 1981, the big Lincoln earned its crust as a pillow soft luxobarge, complete with a waft-compatible 5.0-liter V8. In 1990, the Town Car lost its angularity and gained [rear] air suspension. In '95, the interior received a much-needed makeover. In '98 and and '03, more cosmetic tweakery attempted to keep the flame alive. In the last four years, it's been flickering.

The last 2007 Lincoln Town Car rolled off the Wixom, Michigan assembly line on June 1. Ford's moving production to its St. Thomas, Ontario, Assembly Plant, where The Blue Oval builds the equally iconic Crown Victoria and it’s (over-priced) sister, the Grand Marquis. Come 2009, the formerly American-built Lincoln-branded keeper of the Yank Tank flame will either meet its Motown maker or get a sorely-needed reskin.

This do-or-die decision comes as the people in charge of writing Ford’s 104-year history are busy drafting Chapter 11, as The Glass House Gang try to sell a range of cars without a shred of American swagger. MK-what? Life on the Edge? Born again Taurus? Have you driven a Ford lately? Forget about tumblehome. It’s tumble down.

Obviously, I come not to bury the Town Car, but to praise it– even though our own William C. Montgomery calls ye olde Panther chassis “a relic of a bygone era when big clumsy sedans were the cultural SUVs of the highway.” Even though the old fogies at LincolnsOnline have turned against the current, beancounted Town Car.

Fair enough, but the Lincoln Town Car is also the automotive embodiment of what’s been right with American automaking since the Eisenhower administration. It’s a large-and-in-charge machine with endless comfort, stateside style, mechanical reliability and time-tested (and how) durability.

Not convinced? Plenty of people are. In fact, the Town Car’s been a FoMoCo cash cow for over twenty years. In 1985, Lee Iacocca noted that the model netted Henry's mob over a billion dollars annually. While Ford was in its [first] pre-Taurus dire straits, it was the venerable Lincoln Town Car that kept them afloat.

Ironically, the Town Car’s financial success sealed its fate. Ford siphoned-off the model’s $10k-per-unit revenue to purchase a Jaguar-shaped black hole and an English off-roader company, and then starved the Town Car of development. Is it any coincidence that Ford’s and Lincoln’s sales declined as Toyota’s and Lexus’ rose?

When the rest of the world abandoned the body-on-frame sedan, the big Lincoln soldiered on, still banking profits for the company that spurned it. Its customers have remained faithful, even as Ford pursues an ill-advised agenda of world car synergies.

In short, preserving the Town Car isn’t about a bunch of nostalgic pistonheads embracing the last American land yacht. It’s about Ford’s seizing the chance to invest in a proven nameplate with a proven long-term revenue model. With some creative engineering, a new Town Car could return both the model and marque to major glory.

There are plenty of reasons why a re-engineered Town Car could provide a base from which to revive the entire American big car genre. For one thing, it could embody distinct and distinctive American style.

Pundits said the Chrysler 300C marked the return of the great American sedan. It did (selling well) and it didn’t (no one moved the ball forward). A new Town Car could lift the styling from the 2002 Continental Concept, complete with suicide doors (cough, Ford Flex), and boldly go where gangsta Cs and gussied-up Camcords fear to tread.

For another, Americans love to waft. While it’s hard to defend a 29-year-old automotive platform, it’s not impossible. The Town Car [still] represents the quintessential straight-line style of motoring. Ditch the Panther’s rear solid axle, install the Explorer’s slow-selling 292hp V8, add a six-speed slushbox and the new Town Car could make some serious imperious progress.

Of course, this is all fantasy. Dearborn's current management team insists that a Volvo-based Ford with the Taurus/Sable/MK-whatever moniker on the trunk will save the company's skin. More absurdly, The Blue Oval Boyz continue to believe that throwing money at Jaguar’s problems will pay off. Does Ford need a better Volvo-Taurus? Should they ditch Jag? Sure. But the Lincoln Town Car should be part of the way Fordward.

Saving the Town Car isn’t a moral obligation; it’s a brand faithful growth strategy in an increasingly competitive market. To think that Americans loyal to the last rolling tribute to the American Sedan will praise the Town Car’s un-American (alphanumeric) replacement is a sad, twisted joke. Following the Lincoln brand’s badge-engineered downward spiral, this joke only brings smiles to your local Lexus dealer.

Even in neglect, nobody does the American sedan better than the Lincoln Town Car. And nobody ever will.

Good editorial, but I'm having trouble producing a sound business case.

I don't think anyone here will argue that if Ford had gotten a Panther-bodied Continental concept on the road in 2003 as the Town Car's redesign, the 300C would have been laughed away as a cheap knock-off and Lincoln would be in much better shape.

However, we need to produce a sound business case for the future of this car, especially alongside the MKS. The Lincoln MKS is going to be FLYING off the lots. I believe that a Lincoln Town Car and Lincoln MKS can co-exist peacefully alongside one another on Lincoln-Mercury lots. There are three large market segments the Town Car can target. One are its traditional customers, essentially retirees living in Florida, Arizona, and other places throughout the country. This market still has quite a few years left in it, and with such high loyalty, Lincoln would be foolish to abandon it. Secondly are limo/livery companies. Finally, I feel that there is a contingent of customers out there of all ages who prefer rear-wheel drive luxury vehicles, and want something a little roomier in the 40k-60k market than the BMW 5-Series and its clones.

I think a well-designed Town Car could build on its past success and secure a niche that the MKS cannot capture.

It must be opposite day at TTAC...every day. Most of the media now recognizes that the domestics are doing better and improving in quality and profitability, yet TTAC has still has the Death Watch. Everybody says the Panthers are antiques and need to go the way of the dodo bird and the 8-track, and here's TTAC advocating saving them. Sometimes I wonder if that whole publication is just one big joke.

Good editorial, but I'm having trouble producing a sound business case.

I don't think anyone here will argue that if Ford had gotten a Panther-bodied Continental concept on the road in 2003 as the Town Car's redesign, the 300C would have been laughed away as a cheap knock-off and Lincoln would be in much better shape.

However, we need to produce a sound business case for the future of this car, especially alongside the MKS. The Lincoln MKS is going to be FLYING off the lots. I believe that a Lincoln Town Car and Lincoln MKS can co-exist peacefully alongside one another on Lincoln-Mercury lots. There are three large market segments the Town Car can target. One are its traditional customers, essentially retirees living in Florida, Arizona, and other places throughout the country. This market still has quite a few years left in it, and with such high loyalty, Lincoln would be foolish to abandon it. Secondly are limo/livery companies. Finally, I feel that there is a contingent of customers out there of all ages who prefer rear-wheel drive luxury vehicles, and want something a little roomier in the 40k-60k market than the BMW 5-Series and its clones.

I think a well-designed Town Car could build on its past success and secure a niche that the MKS cannot capture.

I agree. I believe that the MKS appeals to a different, although similar market than the Town Car (similar situation to Cadillac, although opposite, the RWD STS and FWD DTS, as opposed to the FWD MKS and RWD Town Car. GM is also rumored to be dropping either the STS/DTS, which could send Lincoln some customers as well.) Most Town Car owners, I assume, are pleased with Lincoln's current product. When it's time to replace their Town Car, some may move to the MKS, but I believe there will always be a market, no matter how small, for a classic American RWD large sedan.

I hope that made sense.

Edited by rmc523

I think most Town Car owners next ride will probably be a hearse....I do agree that when the DTS is dropped (which is long overdo) they would cross shop the Town Car, but most probably end up in maybe a Buick. I believe the STS owner is a tad different, and might just defect to something else since the vehicle is a bit more...hmm don't wish to use this word on a Caddy but "sportier" than the DTS.

I'm still lost as to the direction of the original article considering TTAC past publications speaking against it. And as I commented on another thread about the Panthers, it's another case of "Damn if you do, damn if you don't", and this is a perfect example of where the media doesn't know what to make of the vehicle. And thats not too far of from Fords experience, since even they don't know what to make of the vehicle!

More absurdly, The Blue Oval Boyz continue to believe that throwing money at Jaguar’s problems will pay off. Does Ford need a better Volvo-Taurus? Should they ditch Jag? Sure. But the Lincoln Town Car should be part of the way Fordward.

THEY TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH!

Jaguar is a crap mobile, Lincoln is just a better brand ANY day of the week.

While the front styling of both the Interceptor and MKR concepts are a bit over the top, I think the Lincoln MKR represents exactly where the Lincoln flagship should go in terms of exterior styling. Lincoln's sedans are coming along nicely, except I truly believe they need a MKR type of sedan.

Lincoln MKR...Definitely needed to complete the line-up as the flagship sedan.

Lincoln MKS...Appropriately designed; Like the idea of available 4.4 V8/AWD.

Lincoln MKZ...Great entry luxury. Like the 3.5/AWD. Needs a manual shift mode auto.

Lincoln MKX...Much better idea than a baby Navigator (ala Aviator).

Lincoln Navigator and the F-150 clone needs some work. Better styling (particularly the Navigator) and hopefully a new V8 with sufficient drivetrain. As for the move to do "MK" designations, I'm still not sold on them. I have eventually learned most of them but they are not as easy to remember as names. Of course, if the public seems to embrace it I suppose its better left alone. They can always move away from them later to more traditional names if need be.

Overall, I'm generally impressed with Ford. The company seems to finally be understanding what they need to do to again with the Ford and Lincoln brands to reclaim dignity among it competitors. I also think they are addressing their customers better than General Motors or certainly Chrysler.

Now, what does Ford do with Mercury...?

"Born as a separate model in 1981"

As if no big Lincolns existed before? Kids, dont know real car history. Full sized Lincolns were called Continentals before 81. Town car was a trim option on these Continentals in the 70's. Continential name went to the RWD Fox based 'mid sized car', for 1982-87. Then FWD from 1988-2002.

Name changing confuses some who really don't know all that much about cars. Lincoln would have been better off keeping the Continental name on the Panther car, but like Park Avenue or Crown Vic, the top trim line ends up taking over.

While the front styling of both the Interceptor and MKR concepts are a bit over the top, I think the Lincoln MKR represents exactly where the Lincoln flagship should go in terms of exterior styling. Lincoln's sedans are coming along nicely, except I truly believe they need a MKR type of sedan.

Lincoln MKR...Definitely needed to complete the line-up as the flagship sedan.

Lincoln MKS...Appropriately designed; Like the idea of available 4.4 V8/AWD.

Lincoln MKZ...Great entry luxury. Like the 3.5/AWD. Needs a manual shift mode auto.

Lincoln MKX...Much better idea than a baby Navigator (ala Aviator).

Lincoln Navigator and the F-150 clone needs some work. Better styling (particularly the Navigator) and hopefully a new V8 with sufficient drivetrain. As for the move to do "MK" designations, I'm still not sold on them. I have eventually learned most of them but they are not as easy to remember as names. Of course, if the public seems to embrace it I suppose its better left alone. They can always move away from them later to more traditional names if need be.

Overall, I'm generally impressed with Ford. The company seems to finally be understanding what they need to do to again with the Ford and Lincoln brands to reclaim dignity among it competitors. I also think they are addressing their customers better than General Motors or certainly Chrysler.

Now, what does Ford do with Mercury...?

The MKS will not get the 4.4L V8. Instead it will get a 3.7L V6 with Direct Injection that puts out almost as much if not more hp than the yamaha 4.4L V8. It will also get a Twin Turbo 3.5L or 3.7L putting out at least 380 hp a few months after it debuts.

The Mark LT (F150 clone) is gone after the 08 model year.

In regards to the Mark LT, I'd say that isn't such a bad choice. Of course, it did a bit better than the Blackwood, but I guess people just aren't ready for a Lincoln truck. Of course, the differences weren't that great and a loaded up F-150 just as nice. For what its worth, I actually liked the Blackwood better. Seemed more special...more Lincoln. It just wasn't popular, however.

I thought there was a link the other day on here that said the Lincoln was going to get the 4.4 afterall. Of course, the TT V6 will certainly put down power better than a small displacement V8, but I wonder how Lincoln purists will adapt to that sort of engine. I guess on paper the MKS will compete against the Cadillac STS on the home front and against cars like the Lexus IS350 and Infiniti G35 sedan. Of course, with the Cadillac offering a V8 I wonder if traditionalist will be more likely to pass on a TT V6 when they can have a Northstar V8 that could be perceived as more reliable over the long haul. Americans are not that accustom to turbocharged engines as luxury car engines. Will it work?

I suppose the MKS is directed at a more youthful, affluent buyer. I question if the typical full-size Lincoln buyer will be frightened off by such an offering.

Edited by Traveler

I guess on paper the MKS will compete against the Cadillac STS on the home front and against cars like the Lexus IS350 and Infiniti G35 sedan.

I doubt a single person would consider the IS350 or G35 anywhere remotely similar to the MKS. MKS is a fullsize car...more in line with the Lexus GS and Infiniti M. Sure, a V8 has a lot of cachet, but if Lincoln can advertise "360 horsepower" or whatever the final tune of the TwinForce ends up with, I don't think anyone is going to pay much attention to how many cylinders it has. The success of the BMW 335 and 535 so far have shown that people will accept turbocharged 6 cylinders in lieu of 8 cylinders if the power is there.

Are people really going to equate the Lincoln MKS with the Lexus GS or Infiniti M? I feel that Lincoln perhaps has a greater opportunity to get those who could only otherwise afford the Lexus IS 350 or G35 or are moving up from the V6 CTS, MKZ or cross-shopping the STS V6. I wonder if all Lincoln may accomplish with the MKS is to leapfrog Cadillac STS in the market.

Granted, 360 horsepower to all four wheels and a confidence-inspiring suspension may win over a niche group, but the vast majority are going to be looking for elegance with what they consider to be appropriate performance. High performance in this class of automobile isn't what the typical buyer is looking for. Plus, Cadillac can field some pretty potent V-Series models that definitely already have desirability.

I'm not really trying to be a naysayer here, but just thinking through my fingers. The natural aspirated 3.5 in Lincoln form is supposed to be something like 265hp...correct? Isn't that a bit low in its genre? I mean this isn't the blue-collar American Taurus we're talking about here and not your Town Car sort of Lincoln. This is suppose to be a serious attempt at delivering the goods to the typical luxury import buyers. Is this a Lexus/Infiniti fighter? Ford looks to be building the MKS to be rather unique in its class and I'm wondering if it may be too much so.

I've said long before that Lincoln should be more like Infiniti, but I'm not sure that Lincoln's MKZ could compete with the G35 no more so than the MKS could with the M45. I'm rooting for Lincoln and I think they are on track, but I think they've got more to do before tackling Lexus and Infiniti on an even playing field.

Are people really going to equate the Lincoln MKS with the Lexus GS or Infiniti M?

I think it may be picking more at the low-rung GS and M buyers, but that's definitely where it's aimed. People looking at the MKS likely would have no desire to look at the significantly smaller cars like the IS and G35, and vise versa. The MKS should stack up very nicely to the 6 cylinder variants of the GS and M though...and the V8 versions when the TwinForce goes online.

The natural aspirated 3.5 in Lincoln form is supposed to be something like 265hp...correct? Isn't that a bit low in its genre?

The MKS is getting the 3.7 with direct injection, not the standard Duratec 35. 265 HP WOULD be a little low for the MKS's segment. The 3.7 should be closer to 290-300 HP. Then of course, there is the TwinForce which may be ready about a year or so after the MKS debuts.

Sounds like the 3.7 should be a good performer for the MKS majority. I've always hated to see Ford roll out a new vehicle with its top engine a year or so away. Its not always the kiss of death, but I think it generally hurts a car when an optional engine isn't readily available.

Nick,

The MKS is aimed more at the LS than the GS. Recall that the GS is basically a midsize, sportier 5-series fighter, as Lexus has their IS > GS and ES > LS paths, one favoring sport, the other favoring quiet refinement.

The MKS will be bigger than, and larger inside than the Taurus, the GS by comparison is smaller than the Taurus. (112" wb, 190" overall length, vs. 114", 203" overall for the MKS, 113", 202" for the Taurus), also note that a fair amount of that GS wheelbase is under the hood. The LS has a 117" WB & 198" overall length (again, with a fair amount of that WB under the hood, not in the passenger compartment--LS has Fusion-esque rear seat leg room)

Nick,

The MKS is aimed more at the LS than the GS. Recall that the GS is basically a midsize, sportier 5-series fighter, as Lexus has their IS > GS and ES > LS paths, one favoring sport, the other favoring quiet refinement.

The MKS will be bigger than, and larger inside than the Taurus, the GS by comparison is smaller than the Taurus. (112" wb, 190" overall length, vs. 114", 203" overall for the MKS, 113", 202" for the Taurus), also note that a fair amount of that GS wheelbase is under the hood. The LS has a 117" WB & 198" overall length (again, with a fair amount of that WB under the hood, not in the passenger compartment--LS has Fusion-esque rear seat leg room)

It's hard to say that the MKS is aimed at anything in particular in the market... there really isn't anything like it out there right now. My current price estimate will be $36,000 for a baseline model, and probably topping out around $51,000 with ALL the options. I calculated this based on what we know will be in the MKS, and pricing them according to how Ford prices them in other cars. Couple it with the fact that the car is ENORMOUS, and you have a car thats a little bigger than the full-size luxury offerings from other luxury makes, at a price BELOW their midsized offerings.

Lincoln MKS competition prices:

Acura RL $46,280 (wow overpriced ricer)

Audi A6 $42,950

BMW 5er $44,300

Cadillac STS $42,390

Infiniti M35 $41,450/ M45 $49,100

Jaguar S-Type $48,335 (What a crap mobile, the MKS will squish it)

Lexus GS350 $44,150/GS430 $52,375

That's most of them, the Acura is way overpriced. The MKS will run all over the Infiniti in performance (on paper that is, Infiniti has such an anemic V8), the 5er is just a lame bangle butt, the STS? lol, Jaguar S-Type? Joke of the century, Lexus GS? they have one of the smallest backseats in it's segement.

I think the MKS with it's interior and basic engine will compete, I have heard good things about it's suspension from someone from FMCNews.com who goes the that Lincoln LS club. If Ford advertises it right, I think the MKS will easily sell 24K per year, if not more.

I don't want to go out on a limb, not knowing the fickleness of the luxury car market well enough....

But if you can get a 320ish hp MKS for mid $40s, AWD equipped.....

That might be a big hit, folks.

We knows the features, styling, and basic drivetrain information. The success of this car hinges on if Ford can keep the price down, feature content up, and lets the world know there is a NEW Lincoln sedan on the roads.

Nick,

Well, I don't think the LS would really be a fit either, as they can get pretty significantly pricier than anything we'll see in the MKS anytime soon. That's really the only reason I used the GS for comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to the game, but I do like to google articles to see what people think of my work.

Kids, dont know real car history. Full sized Lincolns were called Continentals before 81. Town car was a trim option on these Continentals in the 70's.

But I was right, the Town Car was a separate model after 1981, previously it was an option package and not a full blown model. And you're off on your history, the Town Car option package first showed up on the 1969 Conti, sporting unique leather seats, woodgrain trim on the front seatbacks, unique door panels, padded vinyl around the gauges, thicker carpeting and a softer headliner material.

Kids and their history, huh? :idea:

I'll leave the rest of the comments about the MKS and TTAC.com alone, since we post new stuff daily and writer's opinions vary.

Believe it or not, ALL of us want the Panther to survive, even if many of us hate what Ford did to it over the past decade...and are quite vocal about it.

Edited by SajeevMehta