"SEL?"

What the hell does SEL even stand for? I always thought SE was "special edition" or "sport edition," yet they get placed on the most banal and commonplace trims. So what is SEL..."special edition luxury"?

For that matter, what do GL, XE, LE, CE, and all the other random trim names mean? Grand Luxury? Xtra Excellent? Lame Edition? Cheap Edition?

Edited by mustang84isu

Ford just needs to stick to a lettering system. Honda has used DX, LX, EX, and everyone knows that EX is the top model.

Ford switches from G, GL, LX, then to S, SE, SEL, yet on trucks it's XL, XLT.

Speaking of SEX. I remember seeing a Taurus GL, where they added OB to it...GLOB. This was the oviod version.

One that I've seen lately, which was kinda fresh, not sure which manufacturer, but it was v.2, as in Version 2....1, 2, 3 They could add that to any Ford model where they add the competitive engine 2 years after. "Hey, this is Escape v.2-NOW, with more Juice inside!!" :hysterical:

On another point, at least it's not like some European models, where it's Focus Ghia 1.4L Turbo. I mean, just slashing a few of those extra lettering will save them thousands a year..inside, give me a lock on a glovebox or lightbulb in there with those savings.

What about Taurus Ghia?

The Luxury Falcon model called "Fairmont Ghia" is still sells well here in Australia.

badgeghiashield.JPG

Thankfully, the top model Taurus already has a name - Limited.

I'm sure some enterprising soul with a little touch-up paint and rubbing compound has already shortend that to LTD.

Now if we could only get Ford to rebrand the Taurus X Limited to 'Country Squire', we could possibly get people to forget the fiberglass-and-paper fake wood trim.

Yeah, its not a good name. GL, LX, GLS, GLX, LS, GS, all of those 1980's-1990's trim level names were good. SEL? SELL? Not as bad as 'TRD' or 'TURD' though. Or 'SLT' - 'SLUT'.

That is the problem though in my opinion...those models sound like the 1980's. I had a '93 Tempo GL. Well my buddies called it the "Tampon Got Loose", but anyhow I don't really have an issue with S, SE, SEL and Limited. I suppose they could change SEL to just SL, but then people might think SLOW.

I tend to side with simpler trim designations. Trim levels should reflect a lot more than equipment levels. I'd support a standardized trim designation across Ford's lineup:

Cars/Crossovers:

LX: Normal suspension setup, chrome trim

GT: Tighter suspension, monochrome trim

LTD: Normal suspension, exclusive options (LED lights as an example)

Special Edition Trim

Trucks:

XL: Work truck

XLT: Normal trim

FX4: Offroad equipment

FX2: Street performance equipment

Special Edition Trim (Harley, King Ranch, Lariat)

That's it.

I don't really care what they call the trim levels. I see bigger things Ford could be working on.

My one big problem is the engine availability on F150. I want the 4.2L V6 on a bare bones F150 with no ugly black bumper!!! THE XL IS UGLY. and the XLT has too many unnecessary options.