Strike or not

CSMJ

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say that the strike should mean locking the doors, closing all business with the thieving organization, and start taking resumes. The one dumbass from the UAW said "it's too late to call us back, now!"...so never call 'em again!

When UAW HQ burns, I'll bring the Johnsonvilles and the s'mores fixin's!

I say that the strike should mean locking the doors, closing all business with the thieving organization, and start taking resumes. The one dumbass from the UAW said "it's too late to call us back, now!"...so never call 'em again!

When UAW HQ burns, I'll bring the Johnsonvilles and the s'mores fixin's!

Sounds like a a fast track to a scab a-s kicking contest!

Sounds like time for a MAJOR and overdue change.

Sounds like GM will lose more market share in North America resulting in more lost jobs here in Michigan and rest of country. It will also put more strain on Michigan's already screwed up budgent and mean more pain for residents. Thanks GM and UAW. This does not instill confidence in harmony between company and worker and thus little confidence in product. Everyone loses.

Sounds like GM will lose more market share in North America resulting in more lost jobs here in Michigan and rest of country. It will also put more strain on Michigan's already screwed up budgent and mean more pain for residents. Thanks GM and UAW. This does not instill confidence in harmony between company and worker and thus little confidence in product. Everyone loses.

No one wanted this, they were betting on us buckling. All they had to do was bargain in good faith, but they prefer to give a two proposal ultimatum!

LOL what a bunch of dumbasses. I imagine the job security at a bankrupt GM (or Ford) is going to be great! Just goes to show ya, ya can't fix stupid.

So we're stupid to refuse to let them strip everything away? Job security means nothing if they no longer pay well, it's not worth the wear and tear on your body! What are you guys now bitter shareholders! If anything as Ford doesn't see a production loss for the same reason than we will pick up some of the lost market share!

So we're stupid to refuse to let them strip everything away? Job security means nothing if they no longer pay well, it's not worth the wear and tear on your body! What are you guys now bitter shareholders! If anything as Ford doesn't see a production loss for the same reason than we will pick up some of the lost market share!

And here is a case study of why I am so, so glad I got smart and got out of the auto industry. Not having your paycheck depend on the "brilliance" of Ronnie Gettelfinger and his bevy of clowns is a wonderful thing...

So let's say the UAW "wins" - GM's cost position is still uncompetitive, Toyota gains another 2 or 3 points of market share every year, and GM (and probably Ford as well) end up in bankruptcy court 3 or 5 years down the line. Guess what happens then?

Its a tough call. I used to be in the Buliding Trades Union. Local #779 in Somerville, NJ. Why? Because I was making triple what my buddys were back in the college days. Am I pro union? No. Am I pro management? No. Here it is like picking the lesser of 2 evils. Too much greed all the way around.

I don't like games of brinkmanship. Good decisions are rarely, if ever, made when someone's got a gun to their head.

This all has a 'last hurrah' feel to it. One doesn't think that if the UAW strikes again in 4 years it will mean much at all.

Why?

Because Gettlefinger has just burned his last bridge at GM.

GM, IMO, will now begin to move production to non-union plants. Hard to say exactly how it will be done, but I believe that there are people at GM that now believe that good-faith negotiating with the UAW is no longer possible.

And remember, you union members, there are -always- two sides to these things.

GM didn't make things any easier by some of their actions, but Gettlefinger's decision to strike seems painfully short sighted. The UAW will not, cannot win by striking GM. GM will break the union eventually--or it will become a shell of its former self, and this decision to strike may end up costing the UAW everything that they are ostensibly striking for.

Make no mistake about it, GM will work to undermine the UAW every chance they get from here forward. They will move production out of closed shop states, they will figure out ways of getting around contracts, they will suffer strikes at individual plants, because it is now quite clear to many people at GM that they have no future working with the UAW. That is what this strike has cost the UAW. It has cost them GM.

That right Nick, seems as though you don't have the gumption to fight for anything!

I don't have to fight. I actually have marketable skills to get a good-paying job without the need of a greedy union.

Resorting to violence over a job?? You've got to be kidding me.

Edited by NickF1011

People forget (or never knew) that GM got the UAW it asked for. Long ago they agreed to pay high wages and benefits in exchange for not having to listen to line workers with regard to the design of products and the production process. They asked for a union focused solely on jobs and benefits. And that's what they got.

My full take:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=169

GM's management has long done a poor job of listening to and working with the union, suppliers, car buyers, and people lower down within the GM organization. I hate to say it, but this strike is just the latest result.

Real improvement will occur when GM's senior management learns that it does not know everything and cannot be relied on to do all the thinking.