New Lincoln Models

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George Pipas today was commenting on Lincoln's strong sales performance in September and for the entire year and mentioned upcoming "named and unnamed" models.

What do people think are the models that haven't been announced yet?

Brand new Blackwood.

Brand new Blackwood.

The only "announced" model that I can think of is the MKS.

As far "unannounced", the 2009 or 2010 MKZ is rumored to being thoroughly updated with a MKR style nose and revised tail. I imagine the 3.7 will become an option. The MKX will probably updated around the same time. There will be a new people mover similar to the Flex, but won't share any sheetmetal. Maybe it will get a name (like Aviator?) instead of emm-kay-sumpin.

The MarkLT is going away after 2008 and the Town Car needs a replacement. Completely speculating, I hope there will be some kind of SUT based on the Navigator, a RWD coupe/convertible based on the next gen Mustang and a full size RWD/AWD sedan based on the upcoming "global" rwd architecture. I would like to see diesels, hybrids and maybe even an H2ICE.

It'll be interesting to see if they stick with this split grill styling thing and the MK_ naming scheme.

I kind of figured that. I bet we'll see a Focus based Lincoln before we'll see another Blackwood...

LINCOLN MKY

mkrfocus.jpg

Lincoln's segment leading new rear-entry level vehicle...

Of course Cadillac's response will be a new Alpha based RWD V8...

Edited by Watchdevil

Hopefully....the new Lincilns will be real "Lincolns". My wife, after sitting in one, just thinks the MKZ is a Milan with nicer interior and options. It doesn't flip her switch, for the extra money. She's ready to pass her 2005 Montego down to another family member, but she won't buy anything without HID headlights, so a Sable is out this time. She's waiting for the new models. She loves her L/M dealership, so is loyal to them.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Hopefully....the new Lincilns will be real "Lincolns". My wife, after sitting in one, just thinks the MKZ is a Milan with nicer interior and options. It doesn't flip her switch, for the extra money. She's ready to pass her 2005 Montego down to another family member, but she won't buy anything without HID headlights, so a Sable is out this time. She's waiting for the new models. She loves her L/M dealership, so is loyal to them.

Why would someone immediately exclude a car just because it doesn't have HID's? I really don't get the fascination with them. They are nice, but it's hardly what I would consider a deal-breaker if the rest of the car meets expectations.

Why would someone immediately exclude a car just because it doesn't have HID's? I really don't get the fascination with them. They are nice, but it's hardly what I would consider a deal-breaker if the rest of the car meets expectations.

If you live by the the LAKE, where there's a narrow 2 lane road close by the water late at night, You'll appreciate the HID's more.

If you live by the the LAKE, where there's a narrow 2 lane road close by the water late at night, You'll appreciate the HID's more.

Any, and I stress this, any round or square reflector headlamp system is going to give more than ample light for any type of driving that you might do anywhere.

Hmmm...my parents' house is down a nice 3/4 mile wooded driveway and I have managed not to run into any trees or deer on my many trips down it at night without HID's.

HID's are nice - but not any safer - since they do not shine any FURTHER than usual lights .. oh and they are completely useless in rain/wet road - the yellowish halogen works better to add contrast to the wet road/rain condition.

I know I have them - and yes if I can my next car will have HID's (projector HID's actually) ... and it might be a deciding fact among 2 close competitors - but it will not be a deal breaker.

PS; the only Lincoln without HID's is MKX. The only other Ford with HID's is Mustang.

Igor

Edited by igor

George Pipas today was commenting on Lincoln's strong sales performance in September and for the entire year and mentioned upcoming "named and unnamed" models.

Lincoln has a ton of holes in its line, and aside from what we do know, has plenty of opportunities for expansion based on existing Ford products. We know Mullally intends to make Lincoln Ford's primary North American luxury brand again, and that its fate is tied to Ford's product development.

Lincoln LS: Product development at Ford seems to have finally woken up, and accepted that RWD is par for the course for a luxury brand. A new midsized sports sedan to compliment the MKZ could be easily spun off the next Falcon, assuming NVH requirements can be met. It will be able to use standard Ford V6 and V8 engines, and be built alongside the next-generation large sedans at St Thomas, since they will share parts on a semi-shared platform. Another possibility would be a wholesale replacement of the MKZ (while retaining the name) by this new RWD sedan in 2011-2012 when the Fusion moves to EUCD-2. It would make sense... what would the cost difference be between basing it on a FWD midsize platform, or a RWD midsize platform?

Lincoln Flex: An elephant in the room. We know it will be much curvier than the Flex, and will be designed with a corporate jet theme, as it should be. This will split the difference between the taut MKX and the leviathan Navigator, and should sell very well, assuming they can keep the price reasonable.

Lincoln Blackwood: I don't see another Lincoln pickup truck happening. I believe Ford intends to cover this range with the King Ranch, Limited, and Harley-Davidson, making a Lincoln redundant and out of place in the showroom.

Lincoln Town Car: We know a replacement has been approved on the Huntsman platform. I believe an MKS and a slightly more expensive Town Car can happily co-exist at the top of Lincoln's sedan line. A question remains whether this will continue being a limo-queen after the death of the Panther, or whether Lincoln will make it a much more exclusive model line.

Lincoln MKR: I also think Lincoln can afford to build a 4-door coupe like the MKR, and price it alongside the Town Car and MKS as a low volume fashion car designed to drive interest in the brand.

Lincoln Kuga: Rumors have surfaced that Lincoln will get a version of the next-generation Kuga when it hits our shores as the Escape. I don't think this neccesarily marks the death-knell of Mercury. A Twin-Force AWD only Lincoln Kuga would be a cool little X3/RDX competitor, and be a nice little brother to the MKX.

Lincoln Flex: An elephant in the room. We know it will be much curvier than the Flex, and will be designed with a corporate jet theme, as it should be. This will split the difference between the taut MKX and the leviathan Navigator, and should sell very well, assuming they can keep the price reasonable.

The Lincoln Flex pricing should be interesting, considering that an fully optioned out Flex goes for $40-42K. I don't see how they sell a MKF or whatever they call it for more then $55K for a full-sized station wagon it is. A loaded Navi goes for what? under 60K?

The Lincoln Flex pricing should be interesting, considering that an fully optioned out Flex goes for $40-42K. I don't see how they sell a MKF or whatever they call it for more then $55K for a full-sized station wagon it is. A loaded Navi goes for what? under 60K?

There's a happy price gap between the MKX and Navigator in that $40-50K range where I think it'll do just fine. The pricing on the Flex isn't finalized either.

The return of the Versailles :hysterical:

Well there isnt much wiggle room for the Flex either...considering that topped out Edge is like 36-38K and the Taurus X is around the same price with an extra seat in it.

I think there may be a bit more overlap room for the Flex compared to a lot of other vehicles though. People are either going to go for the styling or they aren't. The price and features are likely going to factor into sales less than the "gotta have it" factor. The Edge and Taurus X are styled a bit more traditionally and need to sell based on content for the price.