No Incentives on '08 Focus

FordBuyer

Fixed it for you. I'm surprised you made such an obvious mistake. And by the way, we all know how everything works out for VW over here.

Its not my opinion

In this Fifth Gear segment, Tiff Needell pits the Golf GTI Edition 30 against a Ford Focus ST. Which car comes out on top? Find out after the break.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-ga...s-ford-focus-st

CONSIDER AGAINST

Audi A3 2.0TFSI and 3.2, Honda Civic Type R, RenaultSport Megane 225, SEAT Leon 2.0TFSI, Skoda Octavia VRS, Toyota Corolla TTE Compressor, Vauxhall Astra VXR, VW Golf GTi 2.0TFSI.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=196&

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_articl...umentid=2779403

Edited by MKII

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the Golf's price.

I beleive you will find the VW more spendy.....Ford possibly could compete in the touchy feely tactile side of things but that would move the vehicle upscale in terms of $$$$...and that would kill it being veiwed as an entry level vehicle.....remember...some of the things we so bitch about and/or worship are directly results of cost compromises.....the Euros on the other hand expect a LOT more in their small Vehicles as they are more than just entry level, but a necessity due to exorbident gas prices, and you would probably find a VW and Focus in the same $ ballpark will be quite comparable to another in the upper end models........

Edited by Deanh

Well hopefully with the introduction of the Fiesta to the North American Market, the Focus won't have to be stuck with crappy interior materials like it has now.

can only wish...heres my crystal ball, Fiesta will take over the focus's price point, Focus to basically fusion, Fusion to etc etc ...and a smaller vehicl will undercut all....Ford did this when the Explorer became too spendy, Escape slotted right into where the Explorer was origionally pricesd, Explorer went to the origional expediddys price point...Expedition is now where the Excursion was.....

Well hopefully with the introduction of the Fiesta to the North American Market, the Focus won't have to be stuck with crappy interior materials like it has now.

Back to this "materials" thing again.

I spent considerable time yesterday in the passenger seat of what most here consider to be the "cream of the crop" small car, the Mazda3. The "materials" in there were all rock hard to the touch. The layout is top-notch and the design looks great, but that's where it ends. On the other hand, the Fusion is almost ALL soft-touch, but the design is just so-so. Heck, my '97 Mustang has more soft interior surfaces than the Mazda3.

My conclusion? Looks matter a hell of a lot more than materials, so stop all the freakin whining about it.

Back to this "materials" thing again.

I spent considerable time yesterday in the passenger seat of what most here consider to be the "cream of the crop" small car, the Mazda3. The "materials" in there were all rock hard to the touch. The layout is top-notch and the design looks great, but that's where it ends. On the other hand, the Fusion is almost ALL soft-touch, but the design is just so-so. Heck, my '97 Mustang has more soft interior surfaces than the Mazda3.

My conclusion? Looks matter a hell of a lot more than materials, so stop all the freakin whining about it.

I know, who really sits there feeling up their dash?

Wasn't the GTI 3,000 UK pounds more than the Focus? That's like $6000 USD. Better shocks and rubber would probably do the trick.

IIRC, this generation of GTI has VW's version of Ford's Control Blade rear suspension. Apparently they hired away the engineer who developed it.

Wasn't the GTI 3,000 UK pounds more than the Focus? That's like $6000 USD. Better shocks and rubber would probably do the trick.

IIRC, this generation of GTI has VW's version of Ford's Control Blade rear suspension. Apparently they hired away the engineer who developed it.

imagine what one could do if charging 6 k more for a focus......EVERYTHING could be improved....flip side ...is there really a profitable market in the US for a compact 25k car that is NOT a niche/ halo model?

The sad truth is that in some parts of the world there is a Focus variant that is an obvious competitor to the GTI.

There are idiots on here who so conveinently forget they make the Golf/Rabbit with has most of the attributes of the GTI and with less content without the Turbo for close to the same price as a Focus. The Rabbit/Golf drives excellent, has the same exact interior and body as a GTI, the only differences is trim, content and price points. VW cannot keep Rabbits on thier lots.

The GTI is a blast to drive..it's very FAST. The Focus does not offer the features, content and performance at any price.

The one thing about the GTI is, as my freind will also agree... There is nothing that needs to be different or changed about the car.

I know, who really sits there feeling up their dash?

In the GTI when I am cleaning it I marvel at the dash and door panel trim which is thick firm but soft touch material assembled with very tight fits. The modest aluminum dash trim is real brushed aluminum inlayed with tight tolerances. The soft upper dash pad extends down the center stack and around the bottom. The console is substantial and well shaped. The shifter has a great feel in your hand and as it moved. The steering wheel is perfect. The stalk controls are very precise. The turn signals blink 3 times automatically for lane changes. There is a driver information center in the instrument cluster that also controls various features and settings in the car, with wheel mounted controls for the info menus and sound system controls. The buttons on the wheel are not even seperate little buttons, but one piece surfaces with small bumps that flex in as you depress them which are also backlit at night.

Read some very brave or should say bold words from some of the heavy weights and there expectations of this refreshed 2008.

Jeff Washington, president of UAW Local 900, which represents workers at the factory.

vowed- "We're going to take that market back from Toyota, Honda and Nissan!"

Mulally said during a speech to mark the formal start of production at the Wayne Stamping and Assembly Plant. "This is the vehicle for the next generation."

"This could be the finest small vehicle that Ford has ever produced,"

Mark Fields, president of Ford's Americas division, said Sync will be the first system in the country that connects the car to the Internet

"The competitors are still talking about it. We're doing it," Fields said. "It's all about young buyers in this segment."

"We will sell no vehicle before its time," Fields said. "We have the right product at the right price."

UAW Vice President Bob King, head of the union's national Ford division. said This vehicle is about the future of Ford Motor Co.,"

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Rarely has so much been riding on a redesign.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../710160356/1148

Saudi price, not the American one.

It's advertised on the Volkswagen of America website not a Saudi one...

Rabbit:

2 Door2.5L 150 HP5-speed manual $14,990

2 Door2.5L 150 HP6-speed automatic $16,065

4 Door2.5L 150 HP5-speed manual $17,110

4 Door2.5L 150 HP6-speed automatic $18,185

GTI:

2 Door2.0 TFSI 200 HP6-Speed manual $22,220

2 Door2.0 TFSI 200 HP6-speed DSG Automatic $23,295

4 Door2.0 TFSI 200 HP6-Speed manual $22,720

4 Door2.0 TFSI 200 HP6-speed DSG Automatic $23,795

R32:

2 door AWD & V6 engine $32,990

There are idiots on here who so conveinently forget they make the Golf/Rabbit with has most of the attributes of the GTI and with less content without the Turbo for close to the same price as a Focus. The Rabbit/Golf drives excellent, has the same exact interior and body as a GTI, the only differences is trim, content and price points. VW cannot keep Rabbits on thier lots.

The GTI is a blast to drive..it's very FAST. The Focus does not offer the features, content and performance at any price.

The one thing about the GTI is, as my freind will also agree... There is nothing that needs to be different or changed about the car.

2.0 + DSG = DROOL!