TVI Awards: Lincoln MKX beats undefeated Lexus RX

range

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edge and Fusion were engineered roughly the same time.

The Mazda6 may not have been an ideal starting point for an AWD CUV, but as has been noted, it -was- AWD capable and is a superior starting point than Epsilon.

Any Japanese platform is capable of AWD, most of JDM cars have an AWD option. The present and next generation Mazda6 offers AWD in Japan for an example, then there's the Honda Fit/Jazz. I think it's essential for Japan because of its climate. Anything is better than the Epsilon platform, I heard that the platform can't even offer navagation because its electric components can't handle it.

Any Japanese platform is capable of AWD, most of JDM cars have an AWD option. The present and next generation Mazda6 offers AWD in Japan for an example, then there's the Honda Fit/Jazz. I think it's essential for Japan because of its climate. Anything is better than the Epsilon platform, I heard that the platform can't even offer navagation because its electric components can't handle it.

I didn't mean to imply the Mazda6 wasn't AWD capable, rather that it wasn't intended, when originally engineered, to be turned into a CUV.

Lincoln Defeats Lexus

For immediate release - Tuesday, October 23, 2007

San Diego –

Can a Ford beat a Toyota in Total Value? Yes!

"Although Ford Motor Company obtained only four Total Value leadership positions over the past four years, in 2007 Ford has added three additional wins to its collection: the Lincoln MKX, Ford Edge and Expedition EL.

The Lincoln MKX is especially worthy, as it outscored the undefeated Lexus RX350. Although the Lexus brand name offers its customers a stronger belief in reliability and durability, the MKX product characteristics and features, specifically in areas as interior design, quality and roominess, offered at a lower price, makes each dollar spent on the MKX a better choice than the RX350."

Hell my wife's Edge is more appealing even though it's in a different class by definition! I've seen it parker side by side with the RX, and the Edge has more ascetically pleasing body lines than both the RX and the MKX if you discount the knowledge that the other two are considered luxury vehicles!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I've seen it parker side by side with the RX, and the Edge has more ascetically pleasing body lines than both the RX and the MKX if you discount the knowledge that the other two are considered luxury vehicles!

Side by side with the MKX, and it has better body lines? LOL LOL LOL

I didn't mean to imply the Mazda6 wasn't AWD capable, rather that it wasn't intended, when originally engineered, to be turned into a CUV.

You probably are about half right, I might add that the JDM MPV's underpinning is similar to the CX-9 and it is a direct derivative of the Mazda6. One might agrue the differences between a minivan and a crossover, but it's a Mazda product and the MPV has never driven like a Sienna or a Grand Caravan. Anyways it seems like Ford's platforms are more flexible compared to GM's excluding the newer or soon to be launched ones. Most of Ford's CUV are based off of an existing car platform like the 626 for the Escape, the 6/Fusion for the Edge/CX-9. Ford didn't have to create a seperate unibody platform just for crossovers like with the GM Thetas and Lambdas. I think GM is becoming more sucessful with engineering crossover platforms or doing what Mazda did to the CX-7 putting different platforms together, the new Saab/Caddy crossover will be mix between the Espilson II and Theta like the CX-7 is a mix of C1 and CD3. Well the MKX deserves something, it's on an excellent platform, I personally haven't been in the MKX, but the Edge rides smoothly and the MKX is an Edge without all that hard plastic (sorry Edge fans.)

Kind of a dippy award.

VW wins only one category, but wins as best full line manufacturer.

1) Since when is VW a full line mfr?

Since about 1995 I would say:

- small sedan (Golf)

- midsize sedan (Jetta)

- fullsize sedan (Passat)

- SUV (Touraeg)

only thing lacking is a pick-em-up truck, which VW killed around 1988 with the ending of the Rabbit ?

What is a full-line mfr in your eyes?

Edited by Roadrunner

Im pretty sure the Mazda6 was engineered with its place in the Ford lineup in mind. The original plan was to have more than 10 vehicles running on the Mazda6/CD3 platform. That plan was killed when FofE (i.e. Volvo) didn't want to work with the Mazda chassis and instead chose to develop EUCD off of the C1 platform. But CD3 was designed with sedans, wagons, hatches, coupes, CUVs, and minivans in mind.

Scott

Im pretty sure the Mazda6 was engineered with its place in the Ford lineup in mind. The original plan was to have more than 10 vehicles running on the Mazda6/CD3 platform. That plan was killed when FofE (i.e. Volvo) didn't want to work with the Mazda chassis and instead chose to develop EUCD off of the C1 platform. But CD3 was designed with sedans, wagons, hatches, coupes, CUVs, and minivans in mind.

Scott

CD3 was designed to support a number of derivatives, but the Mazda6 wasn't.

The Mazda6, by all accounts, predates Ford's attempt to get their global house in order the first time (2001/2002), and was selected as the starting point for CD3 over the CDW220(?) Mondeo for a variety of reasons (including, I suppose, comparative age and competence).

I prefer the styling of the MKX over the RX350. Looks like the RX had 2 committees styling the front and rear. I have a friend who just bought an RX350 and seriously, I don't see anything particularly "good" about the vehicle. I was shocked of how loud the vehicle is at highway speeds. The ill fitting panels and trim pieces are un-excusable on such a vehicle. Cheap headliner as well and some bits and some other pieces. It's probably selling on reputations and commonly used by realtors.

I suppose no one on this tread has a bias! :D I also work at Ford but I have to be objective, I said it's more attractive not that I would buy one. I will never own an import, regardless of what happens to the remainder of my career at Ford. I'm not saying I would never buy another domestic though but at present without bias there is not another automaker that builds something that I like, with the exception of maybe the unreleased Challenger or Camaro. If not for the lifetime limited warranty the challenger would be out of the question though despite the fact that it is more true to it's ancestor!!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Lincoln Defeats Lexus

For immediate release - Tuesday, October 23, 2007

San Diego –

Can a Ford beat a Toyota in Total Value? Yes!

"Although Ford Motor Company obtained only four Total Value leadership positions over the past four years, in 2007 Ford has added three additional wins to its collection: the Lincoln MKX, Ford Edge and Expedition EL.

The Lincoln MKX is especially worthy, as it outscored the undefeated Lexus RX350. Although the Lexus brand name offers its customers a stronger belief in reliability and durability, the MKX product characteristics and features, specifically in areas as interior design, quality and roominess, offered at a lower price, makes each dollar spent on the MKX a better choice than the RX350."

What a lame award. To declare the value brand Lincoln Edge as having more value than a Luxury SUV like the Lexus is comical at best. DUH :boring: