Ford October 2007 Sales

Could that possibly be why the F150 leveled off????

are you talking about my PS? if so, NO, F150 has very little if ANY daily rental fleets -we are not talking about overall fleet sales.

Igor

Edited by igor

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Taurus has very little fleet right now while the 500 by this time last year was starting to creep up to 25-30%. My guess is that on a retail basis, they are very close.

interesting ... is this peculation, or do you actually know? Do you work for Ford?

Igor

Old Taurus: Ford would still be down 4k units - Y over Y Ford brand was down 24k units.

Mustang: yup .... it needs restyle and better economy .. at least half of it is coming

PS: reading too much into the reports: Ford eliminated 20k sales of the old Taurus which was about 90% daily rental IIRC - but decreased the daily rental sales only by 12k .. so something is picking up the fleet sales.

I will try to ask Pipas about it.

Igor

The Crown Vic and Grand M alone probably accounted for 2,000 rental sales that they didn't have last year. I'm sure with the higher retail numbers, Ford felt they could put a few additional Edge's into fleets. This was going to be a big fleet month for Focus, remember. Between those four, that's probably all 6,000 units (or more - probably making up for most of the 500's rental fleet too).

Old Taurus: Ford would still be down 4k units - Y over Y Ford brand was down 24k units.

Mustang: yup .... it needs restyle and better economy .. at least half of it is coming

PS: reading too much into the reports: Ford eliminated 20k sales of the old Taurus which was about 90% daily rental IIRC - but decreased the daily rental sales only by 12k .. so something is picking up the fleet sales.

I will try to ask Pipas about it.

Igor

Well, something had to pick up SOME of the rental slack from Taurus. Ford isn't leaving rental lots ENTIRELY empty. I'm betting the bulk of it went to Fusion and Escape.

The Crown Vic and Grand M alone probably accounted for 2,000 rental sales that they didn't have last year. I'm sure with the higher retail numbers, Ford felt they could put a few additional Edge's into fleets. This was going to be a big fleet month for Focus, remember. Between those four, that's probably all 6,000 units (or more - probably making up for most of the 500's rental fleet too).

Well, we had the same idea lol.

The Mustang is a part of Ford's reduction in fleet sales. It was something like 30% fleet in 2006. When you start reducing that, you are going to see a reduction in overall sales, especially in non-Mustang months (fall/winter). This is indicative of the Mustang's age (and it IS getting old), but it is also indicative of how the Mustang SHOULD be selling without inflated fleet numbers.

I'm not in "insider" by any means, but I think Mustang was sold at a tidy profit to rental fleets. They demanded the car from Ford. Not all fleet sales are bad.

IMHO Mustang only needs a minor body refresh. It DOES need a powertrain update/upgrade. D-35, 340hp MOD would encourage buyers of 05s to trade in on an 08. A good 150-170hp I-4 would work wonders for entry level. Mustang is a car that Ford did right. Let's hope it stays that way!

Probably was rental sales on the Grand Marquis - it has only been in the last couple of weeks that my dealer had any retail Grand Marquis in stock - September production must have been mostly rentals, as he had maybe 2-3 Grand Marquis in stock the first couple of weeks of October.

Not that I really care either way - as long as I can still order one more from the factory, their sales could total one unit for that month my car is delivered to me.

Wife wants a small wagon - wonder when the 2008 Focus Wagon hits dealerships - oh yeah, Ford doesn't want that business either, but Pontiac does!

Probably was rental sales on the Grand Marquis - it has only been in the last couple of weeks that my dealer had any retail Grand Marquis in stock - September production must have been mostly rentals, as he had maybe 2-3 Grand Marquis in stock the first couple of weeks of October.

Not that I really care either way - as long as I can still order one more from the factory, their sales could total one unit for that month my car is delivered to me.

Wife wants a small wagon - wonder when the 2008 Focus Wagon hits dealerships - oh yeah, Ford doesn't want that business either, but Pontiac does!

What Pontiac is a wagon? And ask yourself if a Pontiac wagon makes any sense at all anyway. PS - Look for a cheap Volvo V50 or snag a Mazda3 hatchback, both are better than a Focus Wagon anyway.

The lil Escape there isn't doing all that bad.

The Edge/MKX are running full speed ahead. I just hope Ford continues to improve the product year-over-year to solidfy those sales.

Yet another reason why Jag needs to go.

I know it has been mentioned time and time again, but I'm curious. Does anyone know the maximum output @ Hermosillio?

The Edge/MKX are running full speed ahead. I just hope Ford continues to improve the product year-over-year to solidfy those sales.

I know it has been mentioned time and time again, but I'm curious. Does anyone know the maximum output @ Hermosillio?

About 5 Mexicans a week over the fence.

IIRC just over 300000

I believe it is 250-300 k units a year on 3 shifts, but I mat be way off/

Igor

IMHO Mustang only needs a minor body refresh. It DOES need a powertrain update/upgrade. D-35, 340hp MOD would encourage buyers of 05s to trade in on an 08. A good 150-170hp I-4 would work wonders for entry level. Mustang is a car that Ford did right. Let's hope it stays that way!

Ack!!! No 4 cylinder in the Mustang!!! You realize how much of a SLUG that thing would be as porky as it has gotten? It's not the 1980's anymore and Mustangs can't be had under 3000 lbs.

Speaking of new models: The MKS is coming this month in LA? Regarding Mustang: No I4 please. The 80's SVO was pretty cool at the time but now a D35 is more then enough. Give it a manual and boost the power a bit and you'll have a good seller.

Good job Edge! :happy feet:

Ack!!! No 4 cylinder in the Mustang!!! You realize how much of a SLUG that thing would be as porky as it has gotten? It's not the 1980's anymore and Mustangs can't be had under 3000 lbs.

Thinking is more along the lines of the 1960's. I-4 would be comparible to the base I-6 offered then. Ford sold them by the bucket full! Also, keep in mind that Ford sold A LOT of 4cyl Mustangs in the 80's. Since this thread was about Ford sales I thought it was relevant.

PS. BLUE II's idea, Turbo I-4 would be interesting. BLUE II, are you trying to tell us something?

Edited by Hemiman

Thinking is more along the lines of the 1960's. I-4 would be comparible to the base I-6 offered then. Ford sold them by the bucket full! Also, keep in mind that Ford sold A LOT of 4cyl Mustangs in the 80's. Since this thread was about Ford sales I thought it was relevant.

PS. BLUE II's idea, Turbo I-4 would be interesting. BLUE II, are you trying to tell us something?

Yes, a nice little turbo I4 could possibly work as a base motor, but naturally aspirated? Ugh. Nobody is going to want a Mustang with 11-second 0-60 times.