Tundra Dually

Heck. By the time this thing gets to market, you'll probably be able to buy a F-350 with a class 8 hitch on the back.

This has got to be, hands down, the stupidest, crappiest, lamest, worst most abominable ill-conceived, "We have no idea how we became Toyota" concept I have ever seen.

I mean whoever greenlighted this heap of inadequacy should be shown the door. If this is the kind of decision making we can expect from Toyota, they are in a world of hurt.

This thing is -garbage- it does NOTHING better than existing products already on the market, and it requires a custom one-off welding of a gigantic Class 6 chassis onto the back end of one of the worst looking pickups in the history of ugliness, along with the shoehorning of an 8 liter engine with less power than engines that are 3/4ths the size, all in order to come out nothing better than number 2 (and a big steaming pile of number 2 it is) in today's marketplace.

B00008EY6Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hey? I thought I6's were supposed to have more torque than a V8. I thought inlines naturally led themselves to more torque?

So, what happened to this I6 8 liter?

Peace and Blessings

The HINO 8.0L Diesel is about one tech generation behind on the whole market diesel timeline. You also have to consider, its a medium duty diesel (i.e., from the next class up from the stuff in the 350, 3500, etc) so the emphasis is put on durability and suitability to certain applications instead of the efficiency and flexibility focus that put on the smaller units. Just look at the rpm limit that was put out on one of the releases. It'll take an 8 speed transmission to make that limited RPM range be workable for both unloaded cruising and loaded towing.

If Toyota is going to release a Diesel HD pickup in the US, It will likely share a cab with the existing Tunrda, but the frame will unequivocably need an upgrade, and, they'll need an efficient diesel for it as well. I read somewhere that HINO had a smaller diesel with newer tech under development, but I have no information on where the project is. I can only assume that its at least two model years away at the earliest.

How often to the customs and rods that show up at SEMA end up in the showroom? I do not see this as a future direction, but as a styling/what if exercise. Maybe they are trying to purge the ugly from their system - kinda looks like the result of one too many prune juice and X-Lax coctails.

How often to the customs and rods that show up at SEMA end up in the showroom? I do not see this as a future direction, but as a styling/what if exercise. Maybe they are trying to purge the ugly from their system - kinda looks like the result of one too many prune juice and X-Lax coctails.

And that's my chief issue with it:

It's an exercise in excess for a company that has cultivated a reputation of prim conservatism for decades, and which has been very well compensated by the American public for it.

This concept cannot bolster Toyota's reputation, it can only harm it, which makes its existence, even as a one-off 'get it out of our system' thing for SEMA, problematic.

Absolute piece of shit.

I saw a new Turdra today in front of me about 20 feet in the next lane, we were both going only about 35mph and when the Turdra hit the tiny bumps in the road the bed sides wobbled and flexed like they were made out of play doh, it was VERY noticeable, I wasn't even thinking of it, I just saw the rear wheels move up a bit and saw the bed sides flopping around.

This thing has got to be the ugliest, biggest piece of shit truck EVER made, by ANYONE. When will Toyota get called out for putting this dangerous piece of shit on the road?? They should all be bought back and crushed.

Edited by Blueblood

This thing has got to be the ugliest, biggest piece of shit truck EVER made, by ANYONE. When will Toyota get called out for putting this dangerous piece of shit on the road?? They should all be bought back and crushed.

:hysterical:

Edited by jpd80

When will Toyota get called out for putting this dangerous piece of shit on the road?? They should all be bought back and crushed.

you mean like Ford got called out for cruise control fires and unsafe 97-03 Supercabs?

I don't like Toyota one bit, but lets not forget Ford has had its share of unsafe vehicles

Disclaimer: I don't own, or intend to buy a new a Toyota of any kind.

This is just an exersize in stupidity. Not sure what Toyota NA is thinking. I would think they would be MUCH further ahead if they took the FJ-79 series of truck and made a show truck out of that.

1, They're already in production.

2, They have a great legacy for durability.

3, They go for a NA market that is underserved.

4, They look really cool when done up right.

5, Already has a nice 4.2L diesel that can put out numbers close to this 8L monster.

5, It could actually see the light of day as an offering.

We can only hope Toyota continues to dump R&D $ into trying to break through this brick wall.

Wuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Somebody hand me the mouthwash so I can get the puke taste out of my mouth. That interior is "dammit get back" ugly. Holy crap what were they thinking!!!!! lol

PS, this should be in the competition thread not here.

Edited by BlackHorse

you mean like Ford got called out for cruise control fires and unsafe 97-03 Supercabs?

I don't like Toyota one bit, but lets not forget Ford has had its share of unsafe vehicles

Yes, but at least Ford recalled theirs. When I see Toyota recall all of the Tundras, I'll agree they're on the same page on this one.