WHO ON THIS FORUM LIKES PAYING FOR SOCIAL SERVICES FOR PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO WORK?,

It doesn't matter. People aren't running around here with guns. Very few people actually carry them on themselves, and if they do it's for protection (like living in downtown Detroit or Newark).

Your right, I'm sorry, an I know all about it. I have been to many US states and I know what you say is true, the idea just makes me uncomfortable. Just a personal thing thats all. Hey blackhorse, what kind of gun you have anyway?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give us a quick summation?

Would it help the general population and the American economy at the same time?

I know this isn't perfect as it doesn't have all the deductions and so forth, but it's a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_Australia

The medicare levy is 1.35%, and I believe the Australian version of Social Security is included in the income tax. They also have a 10% Goods and Services tax, which is the same as our sales tax.

EDIT2: Additional summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Australia

Edited by ShockFX

The big problem is not gun ownership it's self. But who is getting the guns. Ideally you should be able to own what ever fire arm you want. Provided you can prove that you are a stable responsible individual.

Hell look at the U.S and Fully auto ownership isince the 1920' no holder of a fully auto permiting has been found guilty of comited an offence wth a fire arm. But fully auto permit holders go through intence screening before being issued a full auto permit.

You do not need to control the fire arms you need to control who gets to own them.

Switzerland has the higheest gun ownership on the planet. Basically every single male in the country owns a firearm. After they serve their mandatory military service they are discharged with thier fire arm and couple-few hundred rounds of ammuniton. Is gun crime an issue in switzeralnd ? Nope. But the owners are properly trained and educated.

The issue I have with the gun laws in the U.S is that nearly any whack job can own one. And that does not increase the saftey or security of society but instead puts it at risk.

Matthew

The big problem is not gun ownership it's self. But who is getting the guns.

The issue I have with the gun laws in the U.S is that nearly any whack job can own one.

Matthew

Agreed on people getting guns that shouldn't, but as far as any "whack job" getting their hands on a gun................ only ilegally A.K.A. black market.

Agreed on people getting guns that shouldn't, but as far as any "whack job" getting their hands on a gun................ only ilegally A.K.A. black market.

Well in some states all need to be is a resident and last out the cooling down period. That pretty much lets any whack job own them.

Matthew

Your right, I'm sorry, an I know all about it. I have been to many US states and I know what you say is true, the idea just makes me uncomfortable. Just a personal thing thats all. Hey blackhorse, what kind of gun you have anyway?

I normally carry a smith & wesson .40 pistol along with a smith hammerless 5 shot pocket revolver as a backup and of course as this is the south, you never go anywhere without a folding knife. Sometimes I carry the ruger 9mm but I prefer the .40, it's more lethal and as much as I don't want to shoot anyone, if I do have to shoot someone I would rather know that I can put them down in 1 or 2 shots.

The big problem is not gun ownership it's self. But who is getting the guns. Ideally you should be able to own what ever fire arm you want. Provided you can prove that you are a stable responsible individual.

Hell look at the U.S and Fully auto ownership isince the 1920' no holder of a fully auto permiting has been found guilty of comited an offence wth a fire arm. But fully auto permit holders go through intence screening before being issued a full auto permit.

You do not need to control the fire arms you need to control who gets to own them.

Switzerland has the higheest gun ownership on the planet. Basically every single male in the country owns a firearm. After they serve their mandatory military service they are discharged with thier fire arm and couple-few hundred rounds of ammuniton. Is gun crime an issue in switzeralnd ? Nope. But the owners are properly trained and educated.

The issue I have with the gun laws in the U.S is that nearly any whack job can own one. And that does not increase the saftey or security of society but instead puts it at risk.

Matthew

I would agree with proper training 100% matthew. Unfortunately in our society some idiot who's never fired a gun can walk into a gun store and so long as he passes the background check could walk out with any gun on the shelf. You can always tell the stupid ones because they flock to the big .50 Desert Eagle pistol and you hear the whole chorus of "Coooool! That thing is bad ass!!" Because they saw it in a movie or on a video game or something. It's a useless gun unless you're in a combat zone. It's particularly stupid to buy as your first gun because it's very difficult to fire. But there you go.

I'm 100% in agreement that people should recieve firearms training before purchasing firearms so they understand that these things are not toys in any fashion. They are very dangerous and should be handled with the utmost respect and care because of that. A gun was not designed to be a fashion accessory, it has but one function, to take life. If you don't handle it with the most serious of mind and respect for that fact it will come back to bite you.

I normally carry a smith & wesson .40 pistol along with a smith hammerless 5 shot pocket revolver as a backup and of course as this is the south, you never go anywhere without a folding knife. Sometimes I carry the ruger 9mm but I prefer the .40, it's more lethal and as much as I don't want to shoot anyone, if I do have to shoot someone I would rather know that I can put them down in 1 or 2 shots.

shame this is deemed necessary in different parts and areas of the country..I make do with an Aussie sheppard and a tennis raquet..........

shame this is deemed necessary in different parts and areas of the country..I make do with an Aussie sheppard and a tennis raquet..........

It has nothing to do with what is "deemed" necessary. The majority of the population here do not carry firearms, we have a low crime rate and the chances that you'll be a victim of a violent crime are low. But I'd rather have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it. That's my personal choice. Your personal choice is puppy dogs and tennis. That's just the way it is.

It has nothing to do with what is "deemed" necessary. The majority of the population here do not carry firearms, we have a low crime rate and the chances that you'll be a victim of a violent crime are low. But I'd rather have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it. That's my personal choice. Your personal choice is puppy dogs and tennis. That's just the way it is.

yeah but watchout if someone pulls a tennis raquet on me..........mine even wooden, an old jack kramer.......TERRIFYING....as far as i'm concerned the only reason one deems it necessary is he thinks the "other" guy has one....watch out for me at wimbledon......

yeah but watchout if someone pulls a tennis raquet on me..........mine even wooden, an old jack kramer.......TERRIFYING....as far as i'm concerned the only reason one deems it necessary is he thinks the "other" guy has one....watch out for me at wimbledon......

LOL, Yeah. Don't take anything I say today the wrong way Dean. I'm home from work sick because I stopped by a fast food joint for breakfast and I've been paying the price ever since then. LOL So I'm not feeling to great and things might come off the wrong way. It's nothing personal.

LOL, Yeah. Don't take anything I say today the wrong way Dean. I'm home from work sick because I stopped by a fast food joint for breakfast and I've been paying the price ever since then. LOL So I'm not feeling to great and things might come off the wrong way. It's nothing personal.

don't worry, nothing taken the wrong way at all, I just worry when we deem it necessary to bare arms...I mean when it comes down to it it is basically because of the fear of what the other guy is totting....I would guess that if everyone in my neighbourhood was known to have one, I would deem it necessary as well...BUT that reaction is based in fear when it comes down to it....

don't worry, nothing taken the wrong way at all, I just worry when we deem it necessary to bare arms...I mean when it comes down to it it is basically because of the fear of what the other guy is totting....I would guess that if everyone in my neighbourhood was known to have one, I would deem it necessary as well...BUT that reaction is based in fear when it comes down to it....

You say "bare arms" as if everyone who is carrying a firearm on their person is out there walking around looking for an excuse to use it or waving it about so everyone knows "Hey I gotta gun." Or maybe that's just the way it's coming off I don't know.

Look I don't carry a firearm because I'm worried that some other guy is carrying one. I know when I go out the door that there are some people that are out there carrying and there are some that aren't. I'm not living in fear of the ones that are because I know the majority of them have no interest in using them. I carry because you just never know what might happen. It is at best an unpredictable world. I could read your post and surmise you're one of those people that always thinks. "Oh that will never happen to me. Those things happen to other people." And the odds are that would be true and you could probably go through your whole life and never be the unfortunate victim of a random act of violence or crime. But it only takes one time and your life could be unalterably changed. Look you carry a wallet everyday because you have to have your drivers license on you in case you get into a car accident. Are you planning on getting into a car accident?

You say "bare arms" as if everyone who is carrying a firearm on their person is out there walking around looking for an excuse to use it or waving it about so everyone knows "Hey I gotta gun." Or maybe that's just the way it's coming off I don't know.

Look I don't carry a firearm because I'm worried that some other guy is carrying one. I know when I go out the door that there are some people that are out there carrying and there are some that aren't. I'm not living in fear of the ones that are because I know the majority of them have no interest in using them. I carry because you just never know what might happen. It is at best an unpredictable world. I could read your post and surmise you're one of those people that always thinks. "Oh that will never happen to me. Those things happen to other people." And the odds are that would be true and you could probably go through your whole life and never be the unfortunate victim of a random act of violence or crime. But it only takes one time and your life could be unalterably changed. Look you carry a wallet everyday because you have to have your drivers license on you in case you get into a car accident. Are you planning on getting into a car accident?

actually I don't carry my wallet everyday...damn thing annoys the hell outa me, I also drive without my insurance card etc etc...all I'm saying is that people carry guns because of fear, thats all...its a two sided coin...if you took guns away, it would just be something else...I don't mind going toe to toe, but someone pulls a gun or knife I'm making like a hetrosexual Carl Lewis in a 4 by 100 relay...I have no desire to see whoms weapon can inflict the most damage....it is a difference in cultures we may be talking about here blackie, in new Zealand the only people allowed guns are basically law officers thats it....shootings and armed robbery are pretty much non existant....and there in lies an unusual parralell, do guns actully encourage crime/ bad/ illegal behaviour? interesting twist don't you think?

Jeez — maybe you need the .50 Desert Eagle, and a Barrett .50 BMG in the trunk for extra tasty crispy or whatever Tommy Lee Jones says. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYP66vsyGQ

I won't carry a gun. I almost, and should have, died many times in the Nam. I think that I would use it far to instinctually. On the 27 hour flight back to the world, I became convinced (as I reflected about what came before) that when your number is up -- it's up. Nothing you do will change it. When it's not up. . . it's not up (although I saw many, many, many guys that made mistakes and increased their chances of their number coming up).

Jeez — maybe you need the .50 Desert Eagle, and a Barrett .50 BMG in the trunk for extra tasty crispy or whatever Tommy Lee Jones says. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYP66vsyGQ

The best Tommy Lee Jones line about guns was when he told Robert Downey Jr. he was carrying a nickle plated sissy pistol.

Deanh, we will have to agree to disagree. For me carrying a firearm is not about the fear of others or the fear of what might happen. It's just about being ready for anything. I don't know how they do things in New Zealand but here if you operate a vehicle without your license and without proof of insurance you get a ticket. It's against the law. I guess in summation you could say I'm just the opposite of Razor. After I got out of the service I felt very comfortable around fireams. I have them with me always, like a habit. I don't have any inclination to go all instinctive on people. It's a tool, it serves a certain purpose, that's it. I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you can't run. Otherwise razor might be right. LOL JK