Will Ford Kill the Explorer?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Explorer hasn't been based off of Ranger mechanicals for years. It uses its own platform. I don't see the vehicle going away, but I do see it evolving considerably in its next redesign and moving to a shared architecture with something else. It still accounts for a solid 100,000+ units of sales a year. To simply get rid of it would be idiotic.

Chevy will kill its version of the Ford Explorer the Chevy Trail Blazer by about 2010 or so and wont replace it. So will Ford also kill of the Explorer which is also based off the Ranger which is getting killed off.

depends how you look at it - Ford (like GM) will kill its BOF midsize SUV - but the Explorer name will soldier on as a unitbody CUV. The new car will arrive as 2010 model.

Igor

So, in other words, Ford IS killing it. :stirpot:

IF it ends up a FWD/AWD sled, I would agree with you to a point. If it manages to maintain a RWD/AWD/4x4 configuration on a unit body platform, I don't see the big problem. It has been shown time and again that a properly fitted unit body can tow and perform just as well or better than the Explorer can with a body-on-frame architecture.

Of course, even if it goes FWD/AWD, there's no saying the market won't still eat it up. Just picture a larger version of the Edge. I think it would do well, even if it inevitably lost certain characteristics like offroad and towing ability.

IF it ends up a FWD/AWD sled, I would agree with you to a point. If it manages to maintain a RWD/AWD/4x4 configuration on a unit body platform, I don't see the big problem. It has been shown time and again that a properly fitted unit body can tow and perform just as well or better than the Explorer can with a body-on-frame architecture.

Of course, even if it goes FWD/AWD, there's no saying the market won't still eat it up. Just picture a larger version of the Edge. I think it would do well, even if it inevitably lost certain characteristics like offroad and towing ability.

If the Explorer becomes unit body & FWD/AWD, it will be dead. Not that a full size CUV that is unit body & FWD/AWD wouldn't do well (the GM Lambda seem to be doing well), it just can't be an Explorer. Leave the Flex as Ford's only unit body & FWD/AWD CUV/SUV thing.

Now, if the Explorer becomes unit body & RWD/AWD/4x4 and can perform as well as a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Land Rover LR3, then I think it will be a hit, possibly a huge hit. Especially if there is a V8 & diesel option.

If it manages to maintain a RWD/AWD/4x4 configuration on a unit body platform, I don't see the big problem.

Wanna borrow my unit-body Jeep for a few days to see the problems of using that type of platform for truck use? No strings attached. Just replace the gas you use. After that, you will agree with me.

• 2 weeks later...
depends how you look at it - Ford (like GM) will kill its BOF midsize SUV - but the Explorer name will soldier on as a unitbody CUV. The new car will arrive as 2010 model.

Igor

hmm history of the sploder

starts off as a trim package on the f-150..then goes to the ranger....or you can look at it and the sploder was called the bronco 2...they add two doors,bigger motor. so funny things to the rear...then they add a new front suspention.....and it is kind of a RBV...then it goes to IRS and gets bigger...now it is going to go unibody....hmm looks to me that the sploder well be a little hatchback when ford decides to take it to the back field and kill it like they have with many other good car names

Edited by stegomon

Wanna borrow my unit-body Jeep for a few days to see the problems of using that type of platform for truck use? No strings attached. Just replace the gas you use. After that, you will agree with me.

No need. Have plenty of experience beating the living hell out of a '93 Grand Cherokee for 200,000 miles.

It took you over two weeks to come up with that? For shame. I would have expected something a little more "snappier". I am utterly disappointed. :(

Meh....I tend to overlook a lot of the posts on these "lower" categories. :hysterical:

But honestly, if a unit body Explorer held up as well as that unit body Grand Cherokee we had, it'll do just fine.

Turning the Explorer into a unibody FWD Ridgeline sure as hell would be killing it, and would be shameful, how many D3 crossovers does Ford need??? Ford needs cars more than anything...

I agree. It seems to me that Ford wants to repeat its reliance on Crossovers for profits the same way they relied on the SUV back in the 90's...somethings dont change i guess...

I agree. It seems to me that Ford wants to repeat its reliance on Crossovers for profits the same way they relied on the SUV back in the 90's...somethings dont change i guess...

Why would Ford not pursue a profitable market? There will not be one more crossover either, the Taurus X and Explorer are to merge.

Ford is not making the same old mistake. They do not build just crossovers (that was the case, they really only built a couple types of vehicles in the 90s). They are building a diversity of models with a particular focus on crossovers.

• 2 weeks later...
Chevy will kill its version of the Ford Explorer the Chevy Trail Blazer by about 2010 or so and wont replace it. So will Ford also kill of the Explorer which is also based off the Ranger which is getting killed off.

No the cost of fuel will, it is a shame too because it had a chasis upgrade in 2006 that entailed a totally boxed frame. It is the best version of the Explorer to date as far as capability, but if there is no stability of fuel prices and if they cannot be reduced than it is/will be overtaken by the Edge and the Flex just based on MPG alone! It is a shame that we are being forced into these small vehicles against our will, because the current Explorer is the best overall to date!

Edited by Furious1Auto

No the cost of fuel will, it is a shame too because it had a chasis upgrade in 2006 that entailed a totally boxed frame. It is the best version of the Explorer to date as far as capability, but if there is no stability of fuel prices and if they cannot be reduced than it is/will be overtaken by the Edge and the Flex just based on MPG alone! It is a shame that we are being forced into these small vehicles against our will, because the current Explorer is the best overall to date!

It'd be nice if Ford was able to get the 3.5L V6 in there to replace the 4.0L (I believe it is), that would help fuel economy problems somewhat, IMO.

What about a diesel? Not everybody wants or needs blistering acceleration.

Depends on the MPG remember deisel costs more than gas again! Can Ford build a diesels that either yeilds good enough MPG to justify the purchase, or sell them cheaper than gas models to have the cheaper MSRP offset the cost of owning one!

Edited by Furious1Auto

What about a diesel? Not everybody wants or needs blistering acceleration.

I don't know much about any future product info, except for what I read on here, but I'm not sure if a diesel option come down the pipeline eventually, but IMO, I think it might be a good idea. With a diesel most likely coming to the Expedition from the F-150 as well and Ford leveraging it's global resources, it'd only make sense that a diesel would/could become available on an Explorer in the near future.