FoMoCo November 2007 Sales

igor

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody should breakdown sales between nationwide and Michigan only. Because if anybody bothers to drive by any Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership in Michigan. How is it that cars can be selling when they seem to be not moving from the Michigan dealerships?

Another tell tale sign on why Michigan's already sour economy and the political climate in that state is going down real fast.

Lincoln continued its winning streak in November as retail sales climbed 4 percent. November marked the 14th straight month of higher retail sales for the premium brand. Total Lincoln sales in November were down 7 percent, reflecting lower fleet sales.

In November, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales to individual retail customers were 3 percent lower than a year ago. Sales to daily rental companies were down 6 percent, but sales to commercial fleet and government customers were up 25 percent.

If I understand this correctly:

Good for Profit Margin: Retail sales, commercial fleet sales, and government sales

Bad for Profit Margin and Residual values: Daily rental company sales

So retail sales are best, commercial and government business are good to get and hold

And daily rental company sales are bad for business and residual value of your vehicle

The drop-off in Mustang sales is starting to look more like a trend than an anomoly.

crow.jpg

The rest of you boys get some too, it's on me. I told you lot that Mustang wasn't just dropping because the new wore off. It was just flat dropping period and has been for some time now. But oh now I got whipped and beaten and chased by hounds for saying that. lol

Hey on the plus side the Fusion seems to be holding it's own. Now if they could just push those month numbers from 12K to 15K. That would be great.

I wondered how Fusion sales were going to look this month. I have seriously noticed quite a few of them out on the road here in California. As much as I rent cars from Hertz and Enterprise, I really don't see sales increases at all attributed to the rental car market......and the numbers back that up. Remember that not all fleet sales are bad.

The rest of you boys get some too, it's on me. I told you lot that Mustang wasn't just dropping because the new wore off. It was just flat dropping period and has been for some time now. But oh now I got whipped and beaten and chased by hounds for saying that. lol

Hey on the plus side the Fusion seems to be holding it's own. Now if they could just push those month numbers from 12K to 15K. That would be great.

Of course, this could also be indicative of an overall shift in buyer preferences. As fuel prices go up, fewer people are going to buy "leisure" vehicles like the Mustang. Hard to say if sales would be much better if it was a refreshed design. Certainly they wouldn't be worse though. Being in a class-of-one, it's hard to tell what the driving force is behind the Mustang's sales. Being a little old is surely part of it, but since we don't have a Camaro or Firebird or Challenger etc to compare it against, it's trickier to nail down a particular cause.

Go back to 2002, when the previous Mustang was 4 years old; Sales were down 18% by the end of the year.

Mustang sales at present, 3 years into the current model are down 18%.

It looks as though the Mustang may be coming down faster than before, however, it also posted significantly higher 1st year gains, as compared to the previous generation.

Previous generation Mustang turned in gains of 16%, 3%, and 4% over the first three years, this generation has turned in 24% & 4% gains for a higher overall gain in a shorter period of time.

Edited by RichardJensen

Of course, this could also be indicative of an overall shift in buyer preferences. As fuel prices go up, fewer people are going to buy "leisure" vehicles like the Mustang. Hard to say if sales would be much better if it was a refreshed design. Certainly they wouldn't be worse though. Being in a class-of-one, it's hard to tell what the driving force is behind the Mustang's sales. Being a little old is surely part of it, but since we don't have a Camaro or Firebird or Challenger etc to compare it against, it's trickier to nail down a particular cause.

True enough. I say we take the whole car back to formula and redesign it with a completely new body. lol

Also Ford needs to be pretty quick about updating the Fusion interior to keep it competitive with the new Malibu. Otherwise we may see a decline in those 12K a month numbers and Ford really needs those right now.

Go back to 2002, when the previous Mustang was 3 years old; Sales were down 18% by the end of the year.

Mustang sales at present, 3 years into the current model are down 18%.

Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

http://www.blueovalnews.com/documents/sales.2002.pdf

At the end of 1998, when the '94 Mustang was in its 4th year, its sales were only 144k.

I'd expect similar results from the Mustang next year.

I think Ford timed the Mustang refresh just right. It should hit right about the time the Camaro and regular Challenger (not just the 5000 SRT8 only models) hit the market. Hopefully the refresh will be substantial enough to look new next to the outgoing model and the competition.

True enough. I say we take the whole car back to formula and redesign it with a completely new body. lol

Also Ford needs to be pretty quick about updating the Fusion interior to keep it competitive with the new Malibu. Otherwise we may see a decline in those 12K a month numbers and Ford really needs those right now.

The new Malibu's interior is average. If Ford is looking for overall quality and refinement, a page needs to come from what Hyundai has done with the new Sonata, or of course the Accord. I wouldn't call a seatback trimmed in nasty hard plastic (complete with flashlines) an upgrade over the Fusion's.

Mercury were the star turn for November Sales up 27%

Grand Marquis +90.4%

Crown Victoria +49.6%

Milan +42.7%

Fusion +38.8%

Volvo XC70 +29.6

Focus +17.8

Well, I think it would be pretty easy to explain the Grand Marquis's increase as former Crown Vic owners who could no longer buy one from Ford so they went across the street to buy one from Mercury. Plus Ford had some pretty big increases of commercial/govt sales...we know how much they love Panthers...

Well, I think it would be pretty easy to explain the Grand Marquis's increase as former Crown Vic owners who could no longer buy one from Ford so they went across the street to buy one from Mercury. Plus Ford had some pretty big increases of commercial/govt sales...we know how much they love Panthers...

And despite the dealers trying to stuff them into Sables, the GMQ killed the it in sales...more than double (if you account for the 50% fleet percentage).

It amazes me that people are still buying a "30 year old relic" over a car that was brand new 2 years ago. How Ford screwed up the Taurus and Sable I'll never know.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-camaro.html

Chevrolet Camaro production begins February 2009

December3

432 more days to wait. That's how long anyone pining for a Camaro has to wait for GM to start building them, reliable supplier sources have told Leftlane. Circle Monday, February 16, 2009 on your calendar as the date the new 2010 Camaros will start heading down the production line at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

December3

432 more days to wait. That's how long anyone pining for a Camaro has to wait for GM to start building them, reliable supplier sources have told Leftlane. Circle Monday, February 16, 2009 on your calendar as the date the new 2010 Camaros will start heading down the production line at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

What does this have to do with Ford sales now? :banghead:

Over all good news for Ford. Excellent news for Lincoln and those increases are with basically no TC sales. The jump wil be even bigger when TC production gets wound up at STAP.. Now if Ford can keep this trend up for the next few months we will have some thing solid to really cheer about.

Matthew

December3

math isn't my strong subject....

Edited by silvrsvt

Well it's more to do with future Mustang sales. With the falling sales of the Mustang, it has been suggested that a sizeable portion of the ponycar market is waiting for the Chrysler/GM ponycars.

Well, with the Camaro, it seems like it's going to be a really long wait. IMHO, this bodes well for the Mustang.