Hyundai Genesis

LincolnFan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a great car, but the question needs to be raised: Is the American public finally ready to pay a premium price for a HYUNDAI? We'll see when it goes on sale. As nice as it might be, it could theoretically still be a miss if the market doesn't trust the brand yet to this level.

It will sell very poorly here. They need to come outwith a Luxury brand and distance itself from Hyundai.

No doubt it will probably be a fantastic vehicle, a vehicle people desire Lincoln to have, but it won't sell because of its name.

I have to agree the MKS is nice, but with th genesis it really shows how sad Lincoln has become, that it has to be the Kia of the luxury field.

It will sell very poorly here. They need to come outwith a Luxury brand and distance itself from Hyundai.

No doubt it will probably be a fantastic vehicle, a vehicle people desire Lincoln to have, but it won't sell because of its name.

I have to agree the MKS is nice, but with th genesis it really shows how sad Lincoln has become, that it has to be the Kia of the luxury field.

Funny how different people see different things. Most people see the MKS as the beginning of Lincoln moving back up.

Funny how different people see different things. Most people see the MKS as the beginning of Lincoln moving back up.

Anything lincoln could of possibly came up with can be viewed as the beginning of lincoln moving back up, I mean look at where they are. I even said myself it is a stepping stone, Hyundai skipped the stepping stone. Lincoln is currently the Kia of the Luxury field, err I mean they are currently aiming to be the Kia of the Luxury field.

Well, it appears that Hyundai may very well be attempting to make HYUNDAI the luxury brand and leave Kia the scraps. Not sure how well it will work, but that's what seems to be the plan from their upcoming offerings.

Well, it appears that Hyundai may very well be attempting to make HYUNDAI the luxury brand and leave Kia the scraps. Not sure how well it will work, but that's what seems to be the plan from their upcoming offerings.

If that's the plan, I have serious doubts it will succeed. Like I said before, Toyota created Lexus to distance themselves from the parent company's pedestrian image. Hyundai just screams pedestrian at the top of its Korean lungs.

The biggest problem with the car is that it has Zero snob appeal...image showing up at your local Golf course and all your friends drive Caddy's, BMW's and Mercedes? They would laugh you right out of the parking lot. It might be a great car, just doesn't have the name to appeal as a luxury car. We are talking about a company that was trying to make a name selling a crappy 9K car less then 20 year ago. It would have been far better sloted as a near luxury car like the LX cars and starting out at in the mid-20s or so...

I bet this winds up just like the Sonota, a fleet rental whore...who knows it might replace the Panther in Liverly fleets :)

Lincoln has a damage reputation, but at least it still has some cache that those same friends above won't laugh their asses off at you.

Genisis should be a brand instead of a model.

This car has no "sex appeal" what so ever. The v-8 seems nice, but it will be a moot point if you can't get anyone to look at it.

The lack of "sex appeal", and the Hyundai name instead of a seperate luxury brand will damage this car.

Hyundai has come a long way since the early eighties when they came out with the Pony and then the Stellar. Both of them were a POS! I remember in '84 I bought my first brand new car, a Chevette. My buddy bought the Pony. When he showed me all the options he got for less $$ as my Chevette, I felt as if I had been taken to the cleaners. Then the fun began, he started getting electrical problems, the wiring was just too small. In the winter, the doors froze and he pulled off the handles, then the mirror on the driver's side came off when he tried to adjust it. I didn't feel so bad anymore. The next year, Hyundai went from 1400cc to 1600cc. If memory serves me, they bored out the cylinders, they started cracking. That's when the Excel came along. My sister in law bought one. Another POS! Always something not working. As far as I'm concerned, they're still a POS! They should stick with building ships and containers.

post-26688-1196918012_thumb.jpg

post-26688-1196918060_thumb.jpg

Will someone explain to me where Hyundai plans on selling these things? Certainly not in showrooms across from Elantras plastered with giant red SALE SALE SALE signs.

The difference between this and the MKS, is that after 5 years, this thing will be rattling apart with its wood falling off the dashboard, where the Lincoln will be tight as a drum.

Yall talkin all this shit about the mks now when this cheap ass honda accord,lexus ls, 5 series lookin knockoff piece of shit comes out.This crap looks so generic and that grille is cheesy as hell.Just becuz it has rwd and a V8 doesn't make this superior over the MKS,not everyone cares about power and most likely no one would want to pay 40 grand for a hyundai.

You're right. I'm not sure but if you look in a Korean-English dictionary, I believe Hyundai in Korean means Shit on Wheels. Wait 'till the magazines try one. After taking a 10 minute ride they'll say how wonderful the quality is. I remember how they loved the Pony when it came out. :rolleyes:

Yall talkin all this shit about the mks now when this cheap ass honda accord,lexus ls, 5 series lookin knockoff piece of shit comes out.This crap looks so generic and that grille is cheesy as hell.Just becuz it has rwd and a V8 doesn't make this superior over the MKS,not everyone cares about power and most likely no one would want to pay 40 grand for a hyundai.

And who wants to pay almost 50K for a FWD, V6 Lincoln?

Will someone explain to me where Hyundai plans on selling these things? Certainly not in showrooms across from Elantras plastered with giant red SALE SALE SALE signs.

The difference between this and the MKS, is that after 5 years, this thing will be rattling apart with its wood falling off the dashboard, where the Lincoln will be tight as a drum.

While I agree with your assessment that trying to sell these from the same showroom that also hawks the ugly little Accent will be hard, I disagree with your statement that "this thing will be rattling apart with its wood falling off the dashboard". The Lincoln may be as tight as a drum as you state, but my experiences with my Spectra bode well for the longevity of the Genesis.

My Spectra's going to be 4 years old and going on 50k mile before I know it, and there's nary a buzz or rattle in it, or any interior trim pieces falling off....... and that's on SE Michigan's bomb-cratered roads.

No.... the Koreans appear to have the touchy-feely quality issues apparently licked for the most part. Engineering issues like performance handling and fuel efficiency are not class leading to be sure, but I'll bet they're going to be working on those as well since H/K also have a European engineering/development presence contributing to the corporate DNA.

I will this state for the record though about the Korean-version of the Genesis..... What's up with the ugly-ass grill and that stupid Bentley knock-off logo. Sheesh. The weird upright rectangular thing in the grill looks like some kind of sensor perhaps.... automated cruise control maybe? It ruins any symmetry of that grill in any case.

-Ovaltine

I am willing to take my chances when I can get a fully loaded one for 40K (V8, RWD) rather than a spruced up Taurus who doesn't even offer the real competitor to the V8 yet (have to wait a year, the Ford rule).

lol, the question is, who the hell is going to pay 50K for a loaded Lincoln? The answer is, some Buick buyers who long for Oldsmobile, they'll see the grille and pay right up thanks to Ms. Nostalgia.

And whoever mentioned Lincoln's step up, sorry, but anything is a step up in Lincoln's current state of negelect, and like I said before, Lincoln is going to continue being negelcted, Ford is trying to move Volvo upmarket which will result in catastrophic results for Volvo.

The only hope for Lincoln left is the MKR, if that ever happens. That will bring the brand back. An overweight FWD shitbox will never. EVER bring new buyers to the brand.

For shame, is this anyway to treat a luxury brand such as Lincoln? For pete's sake I wish Lincoln was dead rather than this mockery.

I am willing to take my chances when I can get a fully loaded one for 40K (V8, RWD) rather than a spruced up Taurus who doesn't even offer the real competitor to the V8 yet (have to wait a year, the Ford rule).

lol, the question is, who the hell is going to pay 50K for a loaded Lincoln? The answer is, some Buick buyers who long for Oldsmobile, they'll see the grille and pay right up thanks to Ms. Nostalgia.

And whoever mentioned Lincoln's step up, sorry, but anything is a step up in Lincoln's current state of negelect, and like I said before, Lincoln is going to continue being negelcted, Ford is trying to move Volvo upmarket which will result in catastrophic results for Volvo.

The only hope for Lincoln left is the MKR, if that ever happens. That will bring the brand back. An overweight FWD shitbox will never. EVER bring new buyers to the brand.

For shame, is this anyway to treat a luxury brand such as Lincoln? For pete's sake I wish Lincoln was dead rather than this mockery.

You are dead right Lincoln, all the quality brands like Ferrari Porsche F1 etc are all RWD, FWD SHITBOXS will cheapen the Lincoln Brand, l am a big fan of Ford RWD cars myself if you live in Europe all you have now is "Hobson’s Choice" They are all girly FWD SHITBOXS and nothing else to say l am pissed of with Ford of Europe is a very BIG understatement its very sad to see Lincoln thinking about going down the same route, just watch Lincolns customer base shift in to the Lexus as a protest vote. Still Ford will be selling their first RWD they have sold in Europe in ages, the Focus RS World Rally Champion, and l have got to say it would never had won the WRC without the use of RWD, and l have got to say l very excited about the thought of drive a Focus in RWD mode all day. Ford of Europe can no longer be accused of making dull boring or bland car on mass in Europe anymore things are looking up at Ford. FOE have now given me something other than a FWD SHITBOX as option at last Ford are listening Ford RWD Focus RS World Champion.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Hyundai has come a long way since the early eighties when they came out with the Pony and then the Stellar. Both of them were a POS! I remember in '84 I bought my first brand new car, a Chevette. My buddy bought the Pony. When he showed me all the options he got for less $$ as my Chevette, I felt as if I had been taken to the cleaners. Then the fun began, he started getting electrical problems, the wiring was just too small. In the winter, the doors froze and he pulled off the handles, then the mirror on the driver's side came off when he tried to adjust it. I didn't feel so bad anymore. The next year, Hyundai went from 1400cc to 1600cc. If memory serves me, they bored out the cylinders, they started cracking. That's when the Excel came along. My sister in law bought one. Another POS! Always something not working. As far as I'm concerned, they're still a POS! They should stick with building ships and containers.

If we are going to compare a 2008 Hyundai with a 1984 Hyundai....let me say, I had a 1991 Lincoln Continental that was by far the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Everything went wrong with that car (and I maintained it like I do all my cars). No car before or after has lived up to its lack of quality.

That being said, do I judge today's Lincoln by that car? No. Nor do I judge today's Hyundai by a 1984 Pony. I own a 2004 Hyundai Sonata with almost 70K miles on it. Still no problems and tight as a drum. Looks new inside and out.

However. I think Hyundai has burst through what should be the price ceiling of their models. I agree that a new luxury brand should have been created with this vehicle being the first model. You can't have a product price range as diverse as Hyundai's and expect any type of cachet on the upper end models with a $12K vehicle being sold next to it.

And who wants to pay almost 50K for a AWD, V6 Lincoln?

Fixed it for you...

There are lots of people who buy "overpriced" FWD/AWD Audis out there also...

RWD does not automatically make for a "true" Luxury car, contratry to peoples believes on here, which more often then not are totally wrong when the actual product is on the market.

I am not the MKS' biggest fan that's for sure, but what I do know is that if I were to buy a spruced up Taurus (which it isn't, get your head out of your ass....if no one told you which platform it shared you wouldn't know the difference) at least I know I'd be getting the dealership experience out of it.

Everyone drawing a conclusion on something that we haven't even been given final specs and pricing on, is quite simply amusing. I mean it's not like this vehicle is coming from a car company where you pretty much know a few things are going to be a given. Know one even knows how well this thing is going to drive, 375 hp and RWD does not equate to instant success (if that were the case we would still have Pontiac GTOs running around).

Take an Acura RL for example. It looks pretty stout on paper. Great AWD system. Decent engine. All the tech you could want, and look at what it has turned out to be. As much as I loathe that car I'd be more inclined to buy it over a styling mish-mash of everything that is wrong with German design. At least the RL has styling cues of its own (no matter how generic some of them maybe). The Genesis: which has a bland ass front end, M35/45 in the rear and an interior that incorporates an I-Drive knob of all things complete with the bulbous center stack of an S Class. Nevermind the fact that Hyundai has yet to prove themselves from a driving dynamics perspective. The Sonata and Azera (which was supposed to be the next best thing next to a Buick) are as floaty as a boat ride down the Chicago River.

So until someone drives an MKS and Genesis for an extended period, I really don't see how anyone can base an argument over things that are a shot in the dark.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

If we are going to compare a 2008 Hyundai with a 1984 Hyundai....let me say, I had a 1991 Lincoln Continental that was by far the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Everything went wrong with that car (and I maintained it like I do all my cars). No car before or after has lived up to its lack of quality.

That being said, do I judge today's Lincoln by that car? No. Nor do I judge today's Hyundai by a 1984 Pony. I own a 2004 Hyundai Sonata with almost 70K miles on it. Still no problems and tight as a drum. Looks new inside and out.

However. I think Hyundai has burst through what should be the price ceiling of their models. I agree that a new luxury brand should have been created with this vehicle being the first model. You can't have a product price range as diverse as Hyundai's and expect any type of cachet on the upper end models with a $12K vehicle being sold next to it.

Dead-on.

Lincolns share showroom with Mercurys, which aren't high priced by any means, but at least they're nice cars. Granted, in many dealers, Lincolns share showroom space with Fords (the exception, not the rule), and more prevalently, Cadillacs sharing showrooms with Chevrolets, but again, this tends to be the exception rather than the rule. A $42,000 Genesis is going collect cobwebs as the SALE SALE SALE red sticker events go on around it.