The Trouble with Lincoln

No matter how bad you think sales are, Ford can't cancell half way through a product cycle.

To do so is financial insanity, the tearing up of parts procurement contracts is far more

expensive than any perceived showroom losses.

Don't forget CD3 products are now selling way over 35,000/month in USA alone - that is not a flop.

D3 is symptomatic of what is wrong with Ford, it's one of those platforms that really needs push advertising. Without that, the D3 products just languish and won't sell a lick. I think MKS, Flex

and Lincoln Flex will do it for D3 but a slick Marketing Guru like Jim Farley is needed to get all D3s:

Taurus, TaurusX, Sable MKS and the Flex Variants rolling.

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X should be moving 4 - 5K units a month, not happening. I don't care for Ford's low expectations. If it sold less than it, the X should be cancelled.

Z as well should be moving as much, didn't happen, not once during it's lifetime. Same about Ford conservative expectations.

Why the S will flop? Look at the Taurus/Sable. And those two aren't anywhere near as overpriced. It's a shame Lincoln is producing such a vehicle. It's interior doesn't hold a candle against the Z's.

I've come to a conclusion. You are delusional and have no idea what you are saying. Measuring success by some nice round arbitrary numbers that you have thrown out does nothing at all. Comparing the S to the Taurus and Sable is also stupid (not to mention that their sales are increasing every month despite a lack of advertisement).

Its a shame that you keep throwing out such mindless commentary. The X and Z, (especially the X) are successes no matter what you want to think. Almost everyone agrees on that. If you have nothing intelligent to say....

Why did they stop making these old coaches anyway? They would be amazing if Lincoln can use them as a comeback.

There was this little financial hiccup called "The Depression." People could no longer afford coach-built cars. It's the reason Edsel & friends invented the Zephyr - a Mercury-based Lincoln that kept the division afloat.

What RJ is trying to impress on you is that, for the last 20 years, Lincolns have sold to the people in - or ready for - retirement communities. If Ford were to simply drop those customers and start making RR-class Lincolns, it would be an instant disaster. The RR/Bentley/MB-Maybach crowd wouldn't even consider a Lincoln as it doesn't currently have that status. They would need one -hell- of a car to flip Lincoln into that market, or even into the upper MB/Lexus market. (Say, whatever happened to the Duesenberg Torpedo, anyway?)

Ford is doing what they consider the sensible approach: first, take on Acura, then try for Audi, then go for MB/BMW. They'd better have patience; it will take a good 15-20 years, if all goes right.

What RJ is trying to impress on you is that, for the last 20 years, Lincolns have sold to the people in - or ready for - retirement communities. If Ford were to simply drop those customers and start making RR-class Lincolns, it would be an instant disaster. The RR/Bentley/MB-Maybach crowd wouldn't even consider a Lincoln as it doesn't currently have that status. They would need one -hell- of a car to flip Lincoln into that market, or even into the upper MB/Lexus market. (Say, whatever happened to the Duesenberg Torpedo, anyway?)

Ford is doing what they consider the sensible approach: first, take on Acura, then try for Audi, then go for MB/BMW. They'd better have patience; it will take a good 15-20 years, if all goes right.

Ok who the frack said Lincoln should go back to fighting RR? I just find it freaking ironic how an American icon such as Lincoln who fought against RR once, was the world's best selling luxury carmaker is now being a very low=end competitor in the market. I never said Lincoln should go back there.

However, no Lincoln shouldn't aim for Audi and Acura, they're of a different breed. They rely mainly on Crap Wheel Drive luxury. Flame me if you want, Audis suck, I hate their grille, I hate the Copy/Paste job they did on their lineup, it's fucking gross. They're lame. Their interiors don't do shit for me, I hate non-angular interiors, everything looks as sharp as a knife in their interiors. TOO MUCH WOOD. Definitely DO NOT WANT material.

Oh must I say anything about the quality?

Seriously, if Ford wants Lincoln to compete with that piece of shit, then I better start convincing myself Lincoln is dead.

here is why..my 4 wheeler rag had a quick note about the lincoln truck being discontinued...i never knew lincoln offered a truck...lincoln needs to advertise a little more and get far far away from being the car for blue hairs

If you didn't know Lincoln had a truck, you probably hadn't been shopping for trucks in the last 3 years. if you go to any reputable site to do your comparisons, all trucks are going to show up including Lincolns. The truck itself was simply a placeholder to give Lincoln a volume boost. it id its job while it was needed.

• 4 weeks later...

the fact that Lincoln had a truck at all (twice) is proof that Lincoln has no focus on its place in the market. it should have been built, but it should have been a Mercury.

Lincoln needs a stately sedan (preferably easily stretchable) with a convertible option, a v-10 option wouldn't hurt either. smoother engine performance that no 4 or 6 can ever match, plus the torque. v-8 or 10 it needs 400 hp. it needs to be where the typical person on the street thinks MB/bmw 7 series is.

a 4-seat coupe with balls (convertible cant hurt here either)

a 4-seat small sedan with balls too

all three need to be RWD, the small sedan could be AWD to appease the ill-informed

any more lineup and they cant do any of it well.

How would it work if Ford was left to build trucks, sport cars and economy cars, Mercury was left to build intermediate cars such as the sable and a new Cougar, and Lincoln was left to build the Luxury cars? Maybe there would be more choices to pick from instead of 1 or 2 cars that are the same except for the grill and a few other minor changes. Last year my parents went to buy a new Lincoln. There was nothing there that jumped out and said BUY ME. The salesman showed them the Montego, and that's what they went home with.

• 1 month later...

My 2000 LS has 110,000 and is showing no signs of stopping. I plan to keep it as long as I can, then hope I can find someone with a low mileage one to replace it with. Lincoln has shown me nothing that makes me as excited as the first time I drove that car.

• 5 months later...

AND ANOTHER THING WHEN WE GOT THE MKS NOBODY LIKES THE WAY IT LOOKS AND THEY ARE NOT SELLING . ALL THE OLD PPL OUT HERE WANT A TOWN CAR LOTS OF ROOM AND A BIG TRUNK THEY CAN THROW THERE GOLF CLUBS IN WE HAD A CUSTOMER BRING HIS CLUBS HAD A HARD TIME GETTING THEM IN THE TRUNK OF THE MKS SO THEN HE WENT OUTSIDE TO HIS TOWN CAR OPEN THE TRUNK AND BAM THREW THEM IN NO PROBLEM THEN HE LEFT BAD DESING I THINK BUT THATS ME

AND ANOTHER THING WHEN WE GOT THE MKS NOBODY LIKES THE WAY IT LOOKS AND THEY ARE NOT SELLING . ALL THE OLD PPL OUT HERE WANT A TOWN CAR LOTS OF ROOM AND A BIG TRUNK THEY CAN THROW THERE GOLF CLUBS IN WE HAD A CUSTOMER BRING HIS CLUBS HAD A HARD TIME GETTING THEM IN THE TRUNK OF THE MKS SO THEN HE WENT OUTSIDE TO HIS TOWN CAR OPEN THE TRUNK AND BAM THREW THEM IN NO PROBLEM THEN HE LEFT BAD DESING I THINK BUT THATS ME

Must be you, as the MKS is already the 3rd best selling car in its price class right out of the gate.

whats going on with lincoln mercury dealerships out here in cali i work for freeway lincoln mercury and guess what they are closing down before that redlands l/m closed now i hear alverez is closing whats going on

Ford is consolidating dealerships in order to reduce costs. There's no reason to have multiple dealerships within a very small area when the area can instead be served by a single dealership. That single dealership should be able to generate more income and as a result will put a better face forward.

No kidding. Anyone who doesn't see the MKS as an improvement over the Town Car is legally blind. Then again, that's probably over half of current Town Car owners.

Once the Town car is gone these people will flock to MKS!!! Give them town at least now MKS is attacting the people that dont get discounts at denny's.

If you are retired, and you play golf with your buddies 2-3 times a week, trunk size is a big issue.

Ford's answer? "Sorry, we don't any European design to copy that fits your needs. Either buy what we have, or step off, Mack."

Umm, the car has a huge trunk. Small opening, but my 300 has the same thing, and there would be no problem getting the clubs in there.

last time I checked, Ford was touting that the 500/Taurus could fit 8 golf bags into it without any problems...I'd assume the MKS isn't much different

MKS has a pretty significantly reworked trunk opening. I've heard it's a bit more awkward than the one on the Taurus. I still can't see how it would be any problem fitting in a few golf bags though. If I can get golf clubs into the trunk of an SN95 Mustang, anything is possible -- that trunk opening sucks.

• 3 weeks later...