Upward Lincoln Sales to Continue in '08

Lincoln expects to pass Mercury in '08 sales

Amy Wilson

Automotive News | December 3, 2007 - 12:01 am EST

LOS ANGELES — Lincoln sales will continue to recover in 2008, finally overtaking showroom sibling Mercury, the brand's top marketer says.

Although Ford Motor Co.'s domestic luxury brand remains far below its record highs, Lincoln is poised to finish 2007 with its first annual sales increase since 2003.

Lincoln's U.S. sales rose 14.7 percent through October to 112,678 vehicles, largely on the strength of the new MKX crossover. The gain is even stronger — 17 percent — when counting just dealership retail sales, said Mike Richards, Lincoln Mercury general marketing manager.

"We are above what we expected to do," Richards said last month at the Los Angeles auto show. "We'll have continued growth next year."

He wouldn't predict the increase expected in 2008. Next summer's debut of the flagship MKS sedan will be the backbone of the growth, Richards said.

The MKS will perform "in the upper part" of the larger luxury sedan segment, Richards said. The Cadillac STS, Lexus GS 350 and Acura RL are key competitors, he said.

MKS prices will range from about $38,000 to $48,000, officials say. That will attract customers from the mid-sized and larger luxury-car segments, Richards said. The MKS also is expected to pull buyers from the larger Lincoln Town Car, which Lincoln expects to be mostly a fleet vehicle.

"We're going to be positioned as a tweener," Richards said.

He estimates that 40 percent of buyers will be Lincoln loyalists, another 40 percent will come from rival luxury and mainstream brands, and the rest will move up from Ford and Mercury vehicles.

With the MKS, Lincoln should pass the Mercury brand in total sales in 2008, Richards said. Ford Motor executives have said Lincoln will become the volume brand for Lincoln Mercury but hadn't predicted when it would happen.

Lincoln made up lots of ground on slipping Mercury in 2007. Through October, Lincoln cut the sales spread by about half — from a gap of 58,435 a year ago to 29,909 today. A Ford official said retail sales are even closer, with fewer than 10,000 vehicles separating Mercury and Lincoln.

Amy Wilson

LOS ANGELES — Lincoln sales will continue to recover in 2008, finally overtaking showroom sibling Mercury, the brand's top marketer says.

Although Ford Motor Co.'s domestic luxury brand remains far below its record highs, Lincoln is poised to finish 2007 with its first annual sales increase since 2003.

Lincoln's U.S. sales rose 14.7 percent through October to 112,678 vehicles, largely on the strength of the new MKX crossover. The gain is even stronger — 17 percent — when counting just dealership retail sales, said Mike Richards, Lincoln Mercury general marketing manager.

"We are above what we expected to do," Richards said last month at the Los Angeles auto show. "We'll have continued growth next year."

He wouldn't predict the increase expected in 2008. Next summer's debut of the flagship MKS sedan will be the backbone of the growth, Richards said.

The MKS will perform "in the upper part" of the larger luxury sedan segment, Richards said. The Cadillac STS, Lexus GS 350 and Acura RL are key competitors, he said.

MKS prices will range from about $38,000 to $48,000, officials say. That will attract customers from the mid-sized and larger luxury-car segments, Richards said. The MKS also is expected to pull buyers from the larger Lincoln Town Car, which Lincoln expects to be mostly a fleet vehicle.

He estimates that 40 percent of buyers will be Lincoln loyalists, another 40 percent will come from rival luxury and mainstream brands, and the rest will move up from Ford and Mercury vehicles.

With the MKS, Lincoln should pass the Mercury brand in total sales in 2008, Richards said. Ford Motor executives have said Lincoln will become the volume brand for Lincoln Mercury but hadn't predicted when it would happen.

Lincoln made up lots of ground on slipping Mercury in 2007. Through October, Lincoln cut the sales spread by about half — from a gap of 58,435 a year ago to 29,909 today. A Ford official said retail sales are even closer, with fewer than 10,000 vehicles separating Mercury and Lincoln.

Blah, blah, blah...I'll believe it when I see it.

It's nice, and all, but this isn't exactly a bold statement on Ford's part... they'll continue to trend up because they're adding a car and bringing the Town Car back online. Not exactly a shocker.

No, it can't possibly be!.....P71 says it he'll believe it when he sees it.

I bet my birthday will come again too next year.

This is to be given, when something hits rock bottom of course the only way to go is up, they are getting product now.

Though They could probablypass Mercury if they just stayed flat, Mercury's sales decline would put them under alone. It is as if Ford is celebrating Mercury's decline, hell no suprise why they are, they can't wait to pull the plug.

Edited by DCK

The MKS competing with the STS and GS 350???? :hysterical: Try the outgoing Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne. The Acura RL and the Acura ES are more like it. Also, Lincoln is now becomming what Mercury once was- a trim level on a Ford. I am sure many Lincoln sales are coming at the expense of Mercury. Until Lincoln has a couple of RWD cars, they are not in the ballgame as far as true luxury cars are concerned. Near Luxury- maybe, but not true luxury.

The MKS competing with the STS and GS 350???? :hysterical: Try the outgoing Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne. The Acura RL and the Acura ES are more like it. Also, Lincoln is now becomming what Mercury once was- a trim level on a Ford. I am sure many Lincoln sales are coming at the expense of Mercury. Until Lincoln has a couple of RWD cars, they are not in the ballgame as far as true luxury cars are concerned. Near Luxury- maybe, but not true luxury.

Um, if you haven't noticed, Lincoln vehicles are becoming more differentiated from their Ford stablemates. Look at the MKS. Doesnt look anything like the Taurus and Sable. The MKZ will be moving away from Fusion styling w/ the 09 MCE, as well as the MKX with it's '10 MCE. With the addition of the MKFlex as well, Lincoln will continue this trend. Then of course when the new RWD platform arrives who knows what'll happen: MKR, MKContinental?, etc. maybe if were lucky a new proper Mark car.

Um, if you haven't noticed, Lincoln vehicles are becoming more differentiated from their Ford stablemates. Look at the MKS. Doesnt look anything like the Taurus and Sable. The MKZ will be moving away from Fusion styling w/ the 09 MCE, as well as the MKX with it's '10 MCE. With the addition of the MKFlex as well, Lincoln will continue this trend. Then of course when the new RWD platform arrives who knows what'll happen: MKR, MKContinental?, etc. maybe if were lucky a new proper Mark car.

It does make you think though what could have been possibly going through Ford's mind to think that it was okay not to differentiate the MKZ and MKX in the first place.

Edited by DCK

It does make you think though what could have been possibly going through Ford's mind to think that it was okay not to differentiate the MKZ and MKX in the first place.

Yeah, the MKZ and MKX are certainly sales duds and are main reason for Lincoln's demise. You hardly see an MKX especially on road. The back end is so bland you don't even notice it. A couple more sales duds like MKX and MKZ and Lincoln will be all but dead. The MKX is the worst selling luxury crossover in segment.

Furthermore, the new MKS looks just like the Taurus and I'm sure the MKFlex will look just like Flex except have waterfall grille. I'm sure it's taking Ford almost a year to do that grille and that's why MKFlex has not been seen yet. And I bet the 2009 MKZ looks even more like the Fusion than it does now and will probably not get the 3.7 V6 and be stuck with 2.0 I4 from Focus.

The need to get some sort of new product out NOW instead of waiting another couple years and having Lincoln die off?

I'm sure they'll look different the next go around...not to mention the ES350 is changed for changes sake, it still looks like a Camry. If your going to change something, make it so it doesn't resemble one bit its lesser sibling, like what Ford did/doing with MKS and MKFlex.

I blame a previously scattered management. Funny thing is, the same period of change that brought about the quality awards and other improved-content results had some of the most conservative styling in company history. If they only had enough resou8rces/attenion span to fix the content or the styling, I don't mind the choice they made.

• 1 month later...

Did he say wiener? :hysterical:

All this shows is that they are actually stupid enough to think that when people show up for that Town Car...they'll be dumb enough to buy an MKTaurus. Town Car buyers do not want a cheap looking knockoff Lexus.

Of course....if Ford "Crownvics" the Town Car on the showroom and in the lot....Ford may just keep them outta Town Cars...and over to look at 300Cs. :reading:

Edited by Armada Master

• 5 months later...

Amy Wilson

I doubt Lincoln will pass Mercury sales in 2008.

• 1 month later...

Ok...either you are blind, or just have blinders on...

I see the MKX on the road ALL THE TIME... and MKZ's sell like hot cakes. MKX is NOT the worst seller.

MKS has NOTHING in common with Taurus... what the heck have you been drinking??

Yeah, the MKZ and MKX are certainly sales duds and are main reason for Lincoln's demise. You hardly see an MKX especially on road. The back end is so bland you don't even notice it. A couple more sales duds like MKX and MKZ and Lincoln will be all but dead. The MKX is the worst selling luxury crossover in segment.

Furthermore, the new MKS looks just like the Taurus and I'm sure the MKFlex will look just like Flex except have waterfall grille. I'm sure it's taking Ford almost a year to do that grille and that's why MKFlex has not been seen yet. And I bet the 2009 MKZ looks even more like the Fusion than it does now and will probably not get the 3.7 V6 and be stuck with 2.0 I4 from Focus.