If Chrysler were to sink, what should Ford do?

GreyPony

Hypothetically speaking, if Chrysler were to go under, would it be a good idea for Ford to pick up the Jeep line? From Kaiser to AMC and Renault then to Chrysler then Daimler now Cerberbus, it has survived all this time, shall Ford take it next? Jeep has one of the most recognized names in the off road world. Or is there some kind of "Mummy's Curse" for every company that owned it? What do you think?

Or is there some kind of "Mummy's Curse" for every company that owned it? What do you think?

I'm glad you thought of that because I've thought the same thing for years. Nash/Fraiser/Willys were cursed. I believe it and I would hope Ford stays away from Jeep- if it came to that. Besides, Ford has Troller now, which is probably a better offroader than the Jeep, so let's hope Jeep fades away and Ford succeeds with Troller.

Hypothetically speaking, if Chrysler were to go under, would it be a good idea for Ford to pick up the Jeep line? From Kaiser to AMC and Renault then to Chrysler then Daimler now Cerberbus, it has survived all this time, shall Ford take it next? Jeep has one of the most recognized names in the off road world. Or is there some kind of "Mummy's Curse" for every company that owned it? What do you think?

Ford has plenty of other places that it NEEDS to spend cash within it's own brands. Buying Jeep would be a mistake.

But, if the 3.0 diesel were to make the jump too... :idea:

Ford will stay away I think Alan Mullaly seems a 1 brand fits all kind of a guy to be honest. I think he'd actually like to sell Volvo once he's made it profitable and close Mercury. So why would he want to add Chrysler and all it's woes? In addition once Land Rover's gone there won't be anyone to platform share with at Jeep and all the environmental issues will return, but this time Jeep will have lower margins to work with....

Edited by TStag

Jeep is often seen as the "crown jewel" of Chrysler...I'm not sure why, but it is. However, if increased environmental quotas & standards are going to be added, of what value is an SUV-only brand? Not much, I'd say.

Scott

Depends on the brand and how much that brand can charge...

Ford doesn't need anything Chrysler has. I suppose the mini-vans would be a nice addition, but other then that, I say run far away as well. Jeep seems like a bad curse. Everyone who has owned them ended up going broke or being sold out. Actually loosing one major auto manufacturer would probably be good for Ford as I assume many of the current customers would choose to stay domestic and take their business to Ford or GM.

Why buy Jeep?

I mean, if Jeep were really all that it should be which is about 1/2 of what it currently is maybe.

Jeep has 6 models for 2008 but probably should only have about 3.

Wrangler, Liberty, and Cherokee.

But they have added all that extra junk and I would not pay for it.

Really, at most I would want to pay for would be Wrangler and Cherokee.

They sell, have a long history, and people like them.

So whats that worth? $500 million? Sure, I'd pay something low like that to have the Jeep name.

And the first thing I would not do is go out and add 4 more models to the Jeep line. The Jeep line should be simple. 1/2 of it right now is just dead weight.

Peace and Blessings

If Chrysler were to go under, Ford should quickly contact the people at Cummins, to inquire about using their diesel engines.

Edited by RangerM

A. I don't think Jeep should go away.

B. I don't think Jeep should go foreign.

C. I don't think GM would be interested in Jeep with Hummer in their corner.

To me, it would seem like a good idea for Ford to make a pitch for Jeep if Chrysler cannot maintain it. Not likely to happen, but a name like Jeep and vehicles like Wrangler and Grand Cherokee should be under domestic control.

Jeep is often seen as the "crown jewel" of Chrysler...I'm not sure why, but it is. However, if increased environmental quotas & standards are going to be added, of what value is an SUV-only brand? Not much, I'd say.

Scott

I agree. Ford is already unloading LR, which is a (currently) profitable luxury SUV-only brand, b/c of lack of future investment funds (along w/ other reasons). Also as you mentioned, the new environmental regulations could limit what companies like Jeep and LR will be able to do, so I'm not sure buying Jeep would be a good thing for Ford.