Is Ford developing a family of Mustangs?

TStag

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ford was considering expanding Mustang into making things like 5 door cars. Are they planning this? I think that Ford has tremendous untapped potential with Mustang. Like BMW's sucessfull MINI I could see the Mustang brand spawn an entire range of premium models. I also think that Mustang has fantastic Euro appeal.

Ford seems to be debating the future of Mercury quite intensely. Well how about this for an idea. Why not kill off Mercury, create a range of Mustangs and then sell them alongside Lincolns? Mustang could so sport and Lincoln luxury.... Makes for a more exciting future I think.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ford was considering expanding Mustang into making things like 5 door cars. Are they planning this? I think that Ford has tremendous untapped potential with Mustang. Like BMW's sucessfull MINI I could see the Mustang brand spawn an entire range of premium models. I also think that Mustang has fantastic Euro appeal.

Ford seems to be debating the future of Mercury quite intensely. Well how about this for an idea. Why not kill off Mercury, create a range of Mustangs and then sell them alongside Lincolns? Mustang could so sport and Lincoln luxury.... Makes for a more exciting future I think.

Didn't that rumor come out last year before the Interceptor and MKR concepts debuted....and all the magazines were saying a Mustang sedan was on it's way (Interceptor) or something like that.

While there may be untapped markets for Mustang, I believe whatever is done (if anything) should be done in moderation, don't use the name on too many things b/c IMO, you'll pollute and distort the Mustang's image.

I think such an action would dilute the Mustang into just another multi-purpose car line. Ford did something similar to this with the Thunderbird over several years. They enlarged the original to a four place car, then eventually went to a four door car, then reversed to a less expensive car based on the mid-size Ford Elite. And the fact that we no longer have a Thunderbird speaks volumes about that process. The Mustang is just what it is. It would hurt the brand do do anything more with it, in my opinion.

I see no problem with using the Mustang platform for other cars, just keep the sporty style body in coupe or convertible format.

There was a design study back in 60s (along with several others) that was an estate wagon....looked pretty good!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/14/german-...-mustang-wagon/

"The Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car," the statement says.

No where does it state it CAN'T or even won't be a shooting brake/estate version.

post-19198-1199064812_thumb.jpg

Ford destroyed the Thunderbird in the late 1960's by making it a 4-door sedan, hopefully they remember that mistake.

But in 1969 there were a lot of Mustangs:

Standard, coupe, fastback and convertable

GT

Grande

Mach-1

Boss 302

Boss 429

Shelby Gt-350

Shelby Gt-500

That is rediculous, Mustang is a model not a brand. such an action would eliminate the meaning behind the whole reason for the Mustang! I mean it would serve only one purpose, to bolster sales while in the long run take the potency from Ford's crown jewel of muscle! Not one other traditional U.S. muscle car has had as long of an uninterupted run as the stallion, and now you want to chop it up for one good meal, GTFOH!

Edited by Furious1Auto

There was a design study back in 60s (along with several others) that was an estate wagon....looked pretty good!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/14/german-...-mustang-wagon/

"The Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car," the statement says.

No where does it state it CAN'T or even won't be a shooting brake/estate version.

I like those renderings of the Mustang on that website.

Stretch the hood out on a focus and throw a pony on it and bam! you have a Mustang hatch-wagon. Falls squarely into the "not a good idea" category, but they are pretty sketches.

I think we're overdue for the focus RS. It would be nice, again, to see some different engine choices.

I really liked that 5 door Mustang. I see a lot of sales potential in a full Mustang range worldwide. People import Mustang's into the UK because they like them a lot. Ford should have brought the Mustang to Europe a while back.

As a European I think the Lincoln brand and all it stands for will be a total flop, just like that Cadilac BLS thing or whatever they call it. If Ford really want a global Luxury brand, that's not JLR or Volvo then they should forget Lincoln and go for Mustang. That's a car we like in Europe and would pay a premium for. Ford should be thinking about it's long term strategy in the premium car sector. Mercury looks close to death, in Europe Lincoln will be considered a joke. Only Mustang could take the likes of Audi on. It's brash, it's American, they sound great and they go well. In Shelby, Ford has a "Cooper" type brand to work with. Forget Lincoln/ Mercury. Give us Europeans Mustang! Please.... :)

Using the Mustang platform, they should market a Mercury Cougar and a sporty Lincoln retractable hardtop like Caddy, Mercedes etc. have.

Here you go:

A new Mercury Cougar, and a new Lincoln Mark X (could be made a hardtop)

sorry about the Mark X picture quality, I had to scan a printed picture into this computer (the original is on a computer that was stolen)

post-28332-1199145486_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1199145529_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523