What happened to the two-car family?

Explorer4X4

Just curious, but how many cars do you or your family own? Not including broken down cars, or cars that aren't being used or aren't road legal. My parents used to say two cars seemed like a lot when they were growing up. Now my family has four road legal cars that are regularly used (Dad's F-150, Mom's Silverado and my Tempo and Cheyenne). Not including an RV, moving van and three restoration projects. Or the Jeep, which is out of service atm.

So how many cars do you all have?

Just curious, but how many cars do you or your family own? Not including broken down cars, or cars that aren't being used or aren't road legal. My parents used to say two cars seemed like a lot when they were growing up. Now my family has four road legal cars that are regularly used (Dad's F-150, Mom's Silverado and my Tempo and Cheyenne). Not including an RV, moving van and three restoration projects. Or the Jeep, which is out of service atm.

5. 2 trucks, 2 cars, and a CUV. In spring one truck goes bye bye and the Magnum gets its registration back. My dad doesn't want his baby driving around in the snow lol.

We have 3 (one is a company vehicle though): an Expedition, an F-150, and a 335i convertible.

Edited by rmc523

2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 4.6L V8 (My car just for fun...)

2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat 5.4L V8 (Current daily driver...)

2007 Ford Expedition EL Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 (Wife's car & our "Toad" that's pulled behind the motorhome)

2004 Ford F53 Chassis 6.8L V10 under my 2005 GBM 3500DS Motorhome (Self explanatory...)

1990 Ford Festiva L Plus 1.3L I-4 (Used to be my daily driver, but I'm going to give it to my Mom...)

3 just for me. When I was married we had 5 for 2 drivers. My Explorer, Mustang and T-Bird and my wife's Lincoln LS and Fiat Spyder. Granted, the older cars were for seasonal use.

Before I got married, I had a '93 Ranger, a '92 Miata, and a '90 Honda Pacific Coast (motorcycle).

Now all I have left is the '93 Ranger. My wife has a Highlander. :boring:

I keep telling myself, I'll get the "fun" car back, but I'm probably kidding myself. :censored:

Edited by RangerM

...I keep telling myself, I'll get the "fun" car back, but I'm probably kidding myself. :censored:

You never should of sold it. Trade the Ranger in on a newer Mustang or something like that and do it soon before you have any kids. Before I had kids, I had an 89 Mustang drag car, 79 Capri SCCA ASedan car & a 22' Larson boat. Now I have a nearly stock 01 Mustang (that I purchased brand new over 6 years ago) and a motorhome for family trips and no other toys...yet.

You never should of sold it. Trade the Ranger in on a newer Mustang or something like that and do it soon before you have any kids. Before I had kids, I had an 89 Mustang drag car, 79 Capri SCCA ASedan car & a 22' Larson boat. Now I have a nearly stock 01 Mustang (that I purchased brand new over 6 years ago) and a motorhome for family trips and no other toys...yet.

Too late. My second daughter was born 6 days ago. Hence, the sale of the Miata. I needed the $$.

2002 T&C gets the most use, family duty, 46k

1995 Taurus is my station car...getting old 125k

1993 Maxima is the backup - slowly deteriorating from disuse - I beg wifey to drive it more, keep the miles and parking lot dings off the van, but she hardly does; 170k

Edited by NJSteve3

2 1/2.

To explain, until a few months ago, we had 3 cars but sold one because we really didn't need it and since I'll be attending college FT, not much cash laying around. As soon as I graduate, however, we get me a personal fun car for my daily commuter. Probably a Mustang, hopefully a Thunderbird roadster.

SO, we currently have:

2007 VW Rabbit (shared commuter)

2005 Toyota Sienna (family mobile)

The Sienna goes bye-bye soon after I get my personal car. Hopefully a 5/6 seater Taurus wagon or Flex.

BTW, RangerM..... MAJOR Congrats!! We guys get called a lotta names in life, but NONE is sweeter than the name - "Daddy."

Two licensed drivers in my household and three vehicles, and each is used for the appropriate application based on fuel consumption. Otherwise I would only own two, I would trade my Fusion and Silverado in for a 04' or newer CrewCab F-Series! (150 or 250)

1. A 06' Ford Fusion- for a work car with good MPG (30.8 MPG)
  2. A 07' Ford Edge- for family activities and grocery shopping ( 25.3 MPG)
  3. A 97' Cheverolet Silverado- for hualing, towing, plowing, and working around my house (16.4MPG

Edited by Furious1Auto

Ok, then I must be nuts...One guy with eight cars.

2005 BMW Z4

2003 PT Cruiser Gt

1995 Taurus SHO

2002 Taurus SES

3 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z's

1989 Caravan ES turbo

I had an '84 Daytona Turbo Z. I loved driving the car and hated the fact that it was constantly in the shop. So are the other 2 just for parts?

I'm a divorced Dad. The 99 F-150 only sits because its a single cab. The 06 F-150 is an extended cab with the Latch system for my daughters car seat. The 99 will more than likely turn into a plow truck for next winter, or be sold. Actually the 06 could be gone soon too. (too expensive with only 1 income and alimony) The Mustang is readfy to drive at a moments notice.

1 licensed driver...3 vehicles...soon down to 2.