Caddy's next gen V8 program killed

jasonj80

Welcome to reality "car guys". Many here thought the savior of Detroit would be all RWD V8 cars. Who really thought gas would stay cheap? :speedie:

Get used to it.

Unfotunately, unless you live in the Middle East, that's the way things are going to be. I think high output V6s like in the CTS or 335i's are going to be normal for luxury cars (even regular cars/trucks) within the next few years, except for the more expensive models, of course.

Except of course for foreign makes, who somehow figure it out. And consumers will figure out who to give their money to as well..

If by that you mean BMW, for example, they themselves have said that they will continue to build the same type of cars they've always build, even if that means paying fines for violating fuel economy standards.

If by that you mean BMW, for example, they themselves have said that they will continue to build the same type of cars they've always build, even if that means paying fines for violating fuel economy standards.

BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.. They all build powerful V8's, and don't seem to be throwing in the towel..

Cadillac could still use the 6.2L from the Corvette, and the union documents show that GM is developing a 6.2L OHC V8 for the trucks that could also be used in high performance Cadillacs. However, the 3.6L V6 will clearly be Cadillac's primary engine for the STS/DTS replacement.

BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.. They all build powerful V8's, and don't seem to be throwing in the towel..

And now they will be paying big fines. Just ask Chrysler about the $30,000,000. Much mush of that is Mercedes? They are low volume units as well that cost as ass load of cash. U can have your ultra powerful v8. I'll take my 5.4 over anything from Mercedes. At least Ford lets you check your own oil.

Edited by atomaro

In this article about the DCX CAFE fine, there are these two quotes:

DaimlerChrysler paid the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, fine for imported passenger cars from the 2006 model year. Most of the imported vehicles from that year were Mercedes-Benz luxury cars, which are part of Daimler AG.

and

Five other automakers were required to pay CAFE fines in 2007: BMW ($5.1 million), Porsche Cars North America ($4.6 million), Maserati Automobiles of America ($1.4 million), Volkswagen of America ($1 million), and Ferrari North America ($842,160).

So BMW and Mercedes aren't meeting the present CAFE requirements, much less the new, more stringent regs.

EDIT: I did a bit more reading on the subject and it appears that all the name plates get rolled up under top level corporation. So that means Lexus and Infiniti benefit from the excellent CAFE of Toyota and Nissan respectively (this works for Ford & GM as well). BMW has no such product lines to offset their uber-lux gas hogs and has to eat the CAFE fines. Unfortunately for Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler's CAFE wasn't high enough to offset them.

Edited by TomServo92

I wouldn;t consider that or the 45 to be overly powerful in comparison to their piers.

Yeah, the Navigator is probably the only *peer* it can beat as far as engine performance... plus, it uses premium fuel.

As for the 4.5, yeah, the 3.7 V6 makes more HP, but the 4.5 V8 (of course) makes more torque. Sorta like the DI V6 and the Northstar V8 in the Cadillac STS.

Yeah, the Navigator is probably the only *peer* it can beat as far as engine performance... plus, it uses premium fuel.

As for the 4.5, yeah, the 3.7 V6 makes more HP, but the 4.5 V8 (of course) makes more torque. Sorta like the DI V6 and the Northstar V8 in the Cadillac STS.

That problem will be solved in a few years when the 6.2L Hurricane (or other name) debuts in the Navigator.

That problem will be solved in a few years when the 6.2L Hurricane (or other name) debuts in the Navigator.

the Escalade has a 6.2L Vortec producing 403 hp and 417 tq

so the navigator is late to the game.....even though it will probably be more powerful

hopefully lincoln does not keep this up

Unfotunately, unless you live in the Middle East, that's the way things are going to be. I think high output V6s like in the CTS or 335i's are going to be normal for luxury cars (even regular cars/trucks) within the next few years, except for the more expensive models, of course.

OPEC has killed the new Muscle car era! The last time we got nearly 2 decades this time it only took them 6 years to f-ck it up for us!!! Them bastards, I hope someone burns their houses down with their own gasoline! The refinning companies are deciding for us what will drive, preference is no longer a factor! I'm Furious, and not just by name! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edited by Furious1Auto

OPEC has killed the new Muscle car era! The last time we got nearly 2 decades this time it only took them 6 years to f-ck it up for us!!! Them bastards, I hope someone burns their houses down with their own gasoline! The refinning companies are deciding for us what will drive, preference is no longer a factor! I'm Furious, and not just by name! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oil companies, their refineries (which they intentionally keep running under capacity), and the wall st. speculators are what has gas prices so high for the most part. It used to take major wars to drive the price of oil up, now if a mouse farts in Argentina oil prices go up overnight since speculators are the most $nervous$ people on the planet.

Of course nothing is done about this since they own the white house and most of the other branches of government.

Technology will take care of emissions and FE, it's a shame a handful of elitists are dictating how we live... :censored::censored::censored:

No big deal.....You don't need V8's anymore in passenger vehicles when modern V6's can make 400-500 HP. And V6's can be lighter and more compact. There are advantages in the V6's to be considered other than just fuel economy.

I imagine performance specialty cars will continue to gain performance, no matter the engine type. And it's OK wih me if people mover type vehicles lose some engine performance in favor of fuel economy gain.

Trucks and other work vehicles will need engines designed for the use of the trucks. Hi TQ V6'a, V8's, and diesel.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I do not get why people are hung up on the number of cylinders in an engine. As long as it develops the power who cares? Reminds me of some truck engines "back in the day" - the old 453 Ts (Detriot Diesel, 4 cyl, 53 cu in per cyl, 2 cycle, turboed) would move a load just as good as the Cat 3208 NA (636 cu in V8, non turbo). Yea, that is a 212 cu in 4 cylinder diesel that could power a 5 to 10 ton dump. You could not go very fast with either, but those old Detroits sure could scream.

I do not get why people are hung up on the number of cylinders in an engine. As long as it develops the power who cares? Reminds me of some truck engines "back in the day" - the old 453 Ts (Detriot Diesel, 4 cyl, 53 cu in per cyl, 2 cycle, turboed) would move a load just as good as the Cat 3208 NA (636 cu in V8, non turbo). Yea, that is a 212 cu in 4 cylinder diesel that could power a 5 to 10 ton dump. You could not go very fast with either, but those old Detroits sure could scream.

Why, because a turbo/supercharged V-8 can yeild much higher torque and HP numbers than a turbo V-6! Roush Industries mass produces an aftermarket SuperCharger for the Ford 4.6 V-8 that will not void your warranty whether you put it in a Mustang or a F-150! Power baby, it's all about power!