Explorer America Concept

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in with Pioneer... I'm not an anti-unibody guy, but the Explorer they got here is another D3 BS machine. I consider the Aussi Territory an equivelent change, and the GMC Adadia as an equivelent change. But if Ford goes with 3500lb towing they've lost a costumer (one who traces his Ford loyalty back three generations). To think the Explorer will have less towing capabilities than a Jeep Liberty... Talk about idiocy. And before you go a scoff consider why I chose what I chose (only last year):

1) Altitude and driving over moutains means need to take seriously the whole 75% capacity rule. We have such things as 10% grades out here... not the little hills I grew up with in Michigan. And I don't want to have to get in the semi-trailer lane. So I'm looking for around 5000lb capacility to tow by 3500lb trailer. Agree the 7000lb+ capacity V8 is overkill, but I thought the V6 was too much of a dog.

2) I don't live near family, so when they come into town the 3rd row is exactly whats needed. Else we're paying for rental cars. Also with the 3rd row we can get up to 7 to the mountain. All which saves money compared to driving multiple cars (low mpg and all).

3) I hate big cars... Even this is too big. And therefore I'm going to buy the smallest car that fits my needs. And while an Expedition would do... It's too big to fit in my garage, and hail is a pretty common occourance out here (my 12 yrs old house already is on 2nd roof because of it).

I was very close to buying a new GMC Adadia when I decided my Ford loyalty would win out. If the new Explorer doesn't match it than GM will have a conquest when the time comes to trade in.

I was very close to buying a new GMC Adadia when I decided my Ford loyalty would win out. If the new Explorer doesn't match it than GM will have a conquest when the time comes to trade in.

Just going over your posting, the Acadia can only tow 4500lbs, and the 3500lb number thrown out there is just talk...for now. The Flex can do 4000lbs, but I'm sure Ford is low balling that at this time.

I've only been on here a short time, but you sure do have an ax to grind. What is it that drives you? Do you have anything in your life that brings happiness into your world?

Well, lessee. Ford is closing my plant, not telling me where I will land in the future, and taking a vehicle away from their lineup that is a perfect fit while trying to use it's name to sell a vehicle that is nothing like it.

Other than my family, my fun in life comes from pointing out the shortcomings of others, and the results of their boneheaded decisions. Lately, other than the job stuff, Ford has made me a very happy man.

Well, lessee. Ford is closing my plant, not telling me where I will land in the future, and taking a vehicle away from their lineup that is a perfect fit while trying to use it's name to sell a vehicle that is nothing like it.

Other than my family, my fun in life comes from pointing out the shortcomings of others, and the results of their boneheaded decisions. Lately, other than the job stuff, Ford has made me a very happy man.

sorry to hear that...does explain the angst a little......hey ...I SELL the damn things...theres my excuse. Must step back from the ledge....

Edited by Deanh

The 4500lb towing rating didn't quite meet me list... But as you know no vehilce is perfect. And I was willing to consider giving up 500lb towing for better fuel economy. In the end the Ford loyalty angle had me pretty well hooked, and my wife really liked the Mountaineer so we went that route. Had planned going over to the GMC dealer once done with the Lincoln/Mercury, but it wasn't neccessary (as many of you know my Colorado move was delayed and I've been car shopping fro 2 yrs).

We are absolutely happy with the choise BTW (thumbs up to the guys in Kentucky). Drove it out to LA and Vegas for the Christmas holiday and it ended being a great road trip car (came back loaded with Christmas gifts for my daughter). And it's performed flawless in the snow too. So dispite all the ugly, old school comments we love it. I'm always recommending it (and the TaurusX which my sister has) to all my coworkers who made the move to Colorado this summer with me (many are looking for a 4WD/AWD snow utility).

I was shocked yesterday....I was over my parents for dinner and I forwarded my dad an article on the Explorer America, and hes one that never was into concept cars...told me this: Wow I really like that new Explorer, maybe I'll go out and rob a bank to get one! They had an 02 Explorer that was just replaced by an 08 Sable and he's retired from Ford, so thats where the rob a bank comment came from LOL

Hey Kris, this still could be just the vehicle for you if it is pulled off correctly. As a previous Explorer owner, I understand the vehicle's virtues, and I really think Ford would be wise to maintain them as much as possible. The body on frame design was actually really crutial for how I drove my truck, the snap of tow chains and straps would really eat a unibody vehicle up in extreme off road situations. I've seen the remains of an old cherokee missing the front end, and I at least assume I know what happened... Time after time though Dora took whatever I could dish out...

In your case however, it seems that if the tow ratings were there this would work for you and most others; my money is on the fact that they will be, hoepfully Ford has that much sense. As far as engine grunt, I'm sure you're aware that naturally aspirated engines lose a good deal of power in thin high altitude air while turbos (EcoBoost) are far less impaired. With modern unibody designs I doubt most light truck users will have any issue with the lack of frame rails. Finally, I hope this thing finds room for a third row, though looking at it I'm not so certain. I hope this thing stays generally true to the truck's past and that it sits on GRWD, no more D3 crossovers. Best of luck!

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti