Explorer America Concept

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Ford is giving us a preview of what the next Explorer will look like. I like it a lot. Looks rugged and very modern with design cues from Explorer and Bronco. Hopefully production version will be very similar. This is what we need...hope for the future. New product.

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding this concept:

The first EcoBoost engine out of the gate is the 340hp 3.5L V-6, This will be the optional engine in the Lincoln MKS starting in 2009 in place of a V-8. Besides having higher specific efficiency than a larger normally aspirated engine, the smaller EcoBoost units also save weight and size. The 3.5L saves over 150 lbs. compared to the 4.6L V-8 also helping contribute to fuel efficiency savings of up to 20%. Following the MKS with EcoBoost will be the Ford Flex and the new Explorer based on the Explorer America concept. The new SUV is expected to use GDTI engines exclusively, with a 275hp 2.0L four as the base engine and the 3.5L six as the option. Ford is by no means the first to do this, with Volkswagen pushing the tech for several years already on their TSI and TFSI engines. aMazda and GM also use the same principle. Ford really wants to make it mainstream, however, with over half a million EcoBoost engines annually within five years.

Source

Edited by TomServo92

OK, Mulally has said that he doesn't like producing concepts that will never see production so I have a good feeling about this one. The question is this: how much will change for production?

Grille and headlights, and hopefully somewhere between 99 & 100% of the interior.

But I am loving the it's an Explorer but it's not side profiling. I love the chiseling, along with how it's kept the blacked out B & D pillar Explorer signature.

I like it. At a glance, you can say "That's an Explorer". Now, salewise it may swing both ways but but you have what was once the most selling SUV doing what everyone wanted: Lose weight and be more efficient. That could bring people back to a SUV without the guilt.

Another D3 or a new RWD/AWD?

I'm curious because Territory replaced Explorer down here in AUS

so maybe this replaces Territory in the long run?

Allegedly it will be here in 2010 ("We will have all of our models replaced or significantly updated by 2010"). It may be GRWD, or it may be D3. The media release is not specific. Shortly, we should have full press kit that provides better specs, and that will have the answer.

Allegedly it will be here in 2010 ("We will have all of our models replaced or significantly updated by 2010"). It may be GRWD, or it may be D3. The media release is not specific. Shortly, we should have full press kit that provides better specs, and that will have the answer.

Thanks Rich,

Territory has to change engines by mid 2010 cut off because Inline 6 doesn't meet Euro 4.

Won't get too excited yet but maybe a new vehicle coming our way.

I'll be reading the covers off that press kit.

I see homerun written all over this. Now that is what we need to keep the faith. This will give hope since Explorer means high volume and it can be just what Ford needs right now. An all new vehicle that Ford knows how to sell in high volume and is exciting enough to get people parting with their money. If this could be out in two years or so, that would be great and in my mind guarantees their future. No one else has anything that looks anything like this with this power and fuel efficiency.