Explorer America Concept

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max torque load on the JV transmission is somewhere around 300-315lb-ft.

Perhaps an updated version will be on the market in a year, when the TwinFource EcoBoost arrives in the MKS, or perhaps Ford will go with an off-the-shelf Aisin unit that can handle that much torque.

Ultimately, it seems, Ford will want an inhouse solution that can handle that much torque, but I think that may come after, not at the same time as, the EcoBoost.

Sourcing ANY other vendor for a transmission (other than the JV) for the TwinFource EcoBoost MKS is just not cost effective ! You will likely see "torque truncation" on WOT shifts.

Well that settle's it, Explorer is dead, Ford gives up another segment to the Japs... :banghead::censored:

Why??

Let me hear your reasoning................ oh he who knows everything about everything.

You have never laid eyes on this vehicle. You have never driven this vehicle. You have not even read all the specs on said vehicle. Yet, you state, with absolute certainty, that it sucks............ that Explorer is dead............. and that Ford will completely lose the market (to whom I ask, since pretty much everyone else is getting out of midsize SUV's).

The reality is, noone will even know what platform it is on, if Ford does it right.

You know, I would really like to see your crystal ball............. you know, the one that can see a couple of years into the future. Could you let us know what gas prices will be at that time???

I hope it is not based on the D3. In fact, I don't like the fact that the majority of Fords new cars are D3 based. Seems like they are putting all of their eggs in one basket...which has not proved good for them in the past.

Using a common architecture under many vehicles is a good thing. It amortizes cost.

Why??

Let me hear your reasoning................ oh he who knows everything about everything.

You have never laid eyes on this vehicle. You have never driven this vehicle. You have not even read all the specs on said vehicle. Yet, you state, with absolute certainty, that it sucks............ that Explorer is dead............. and that Ford will completely lose the market (to whom I ask, since pretty much everyone else is getting out of midsize SUV's).

The reality is, noone will even know what platform it is on, if Ford does it right.

You know, I would really like to see your crystal ball............. you know, the one that can see a couple of years into the future. Could you let us know what gas prices will be at that time???

Oh good. He brings out this response in other people too.

I hope it is not based on the D3. In fact, I don't like the fact that the majority of Fords new cars are D3 based. Seems like they are putting all of their eggs in one basket...which has not proved good for them in the past.

CD3 - 400,000

D3 - 131,000 + Flex + MKS + Lincoln Flex + Explorer

See the pattern?

Edited by jpd80

Why??

What part of FWD D3 sled do you not understand? I know some of you feel the need to rationalize everything dumb Ford does, I don't need to see or drive it to know that it isn't an Explorer as much as as a FWD V6 Mercury Cougar wasn't a Mustang. Understand?

Yea, my crystal ball on page 5 that says this is a D3... :finger:

READ the thread before getting your panties in a knot...

Where has it been said that it is FWD? The same poster who said it's D3 has been hinting at a RWD D3 for some time.

Let's not forget that the concept is on D3. Remember the 2005 Mustang concept rode on a DEW98 platform but ended up on something else. Until the production version is announced, we don't know what will underpin it.

D3 (or D4 by the time this and the new Taurus debuts) is a great platform that has proven itself to be reliable (500/Freestyle/Taurus recommendeds from Consumer Reports, a far better record than the 300 by the way) and is large and flexible enough to support a large sedan and several crossover offerings. It also makes sense for Ford to have a primary platform (ala d3/d4) for North American vehicles such as Taurus, Flex, Explorer, so that international products such as future Fusion/Mondeo, Focus, Escape/Kuga, etc can be shared while giving Ford the ability to make no compromises what so ever on NA specific vehicles.

BTW I love this new Explorer and everything about it. GREAT JOB FORD!!!!!!

Let's not forget that the concept is on D3. Remember the 2005 Mustang concept rode on a DEW98 platform but ended up on something else. Until the production version is announced, we don't know what will underpin it.

BlueII said it's D3 and he's a Ford insider. In fact, he's been saying that the next Explorer would be D3 for some time now.

A Sportrac version of this would look awesome. A unit-body "lifestyle" truck would be a nice compliment to Ford's stable.

I wonder if Ford has gotten anywhere with Hybrid D3s. (Hybrid Explorer SUV and Trac would be awesome).

A Ford Ridgeline, I don't know, maybe. If done right, I guess a unibody Sport Trac might work. Couldn't really do any worse then the current one. There was a rumor that there was going to be an F100 unibody based on the next Explorer, but lately the rumor has been that the F100 will be on a narrowed and shortened F150 frame.

BlueII said it's D3 and he's a Ford insider. In fact, he's been saying that the next Explorer would be D3 for some time now.

Actually he knows people on the inside but he's not an insider. However, point taken. I was merely offering up another possible alternative.

Edited by TomServo92

No side mirrors.

Driver's side has 2 regular doors, passenger's side has a slider and no B-pillar.

Clever, but impact regs mean that probably won't happen, unless Ford spent a lot of money on high-strength alloys to reinforce the passenger-side. The slider gets around using a half-pillar (like the 50's 'hardtops') or reverse, 'suicide' hinges.

I'd assume the sliding door would be so people can see the interior better on the concept.

Actually he knows people on the inside but he's not an insider. However, point taken. I was merely offering up another possible alternative.

I thought he was an insider, oh well. He also said they were working on a RWD version of D3. Maybe GRWD program is D3 based.

I've looked under a new AWD Taurus and if you were to yank out the engine and transaxle and mounted an engine & transmission longitudinally, it would be pretty easy to make it RWD. Plus, there is a ton of room under the hood. Only thing I don't know, is how much the firewall and tunnel would need to be modified to fit a tranny. Imagine a Taurus with the GT500 drivetrain, what a sleeper!

I thought he was an insider, oh well. He also said they were working on a RWD version of D3. Maybe GRWD program is D3 based.

I've looked under a new AWD Taurus and if you were to yank out the engine and transaxle and mounted an engine & transmission longitudinally, it would be pretty easy to make it RWD. Plus, there is a ton of room under the hood. Only thing I don't know, is how much the firewall and tunnel would need to be modified to fit a tranny. Imagine a Taurus with the GT500 drivetrain, what a sleeper!

What about a GT motor like that one Five Hundred? LOL.