Explorer America Concept

Well done, what a great job of modernizing a recognizable design!!!!

This concept just changed the way I feel about the future of the company. Of course, bringing the product to market in a similar form (obviously without the futuristic interior) is the hard part.

I agree. I was always positive, but I have not recently been so excited by Ford. I am also excited to see how the reviews of the MKS with Ecoboost go. I think what comes to market, though it will obviously not be exactly the same, will be very positive.

Edited by suv_guy_19

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I was always positive, but I have not recently been so excited by Ford. I am also excited to see how the reviews of the MKS with Ecoboost go. I think what comes to market, though it will obviously not be exactly the same, will be very positive.

What FWD tranny are they using in the MKTaurus again?

Probably the Aisin unit Rich harassmed about about ages ago.

You may be right. I hope you're wrong, and that the Ford/Getrag unit is ready.

If the Mull can get anything speeded up, that would be it, because it would simplify things for a whole range of Ford product. The S wouldn't need the reduced-power starts required to keep a 'marginal' transmission alive, for example.

I think the concept looks great, hopefully it is around the corn because the current Explorer is was DOA after the 2005 refresh.

I'm actually rather surprised the Explorer is still doing as well as it is! I mean its ridiculously "old school" in its design and execution, has added competition from within in the form of the Edge and Taurus X, and it's STILL managing to maintain volumes around 10,000 a month. Sure, that's nowhere CLOSE to where it once was, but that's hardly volume to flat out ignore.

About this concept -- I definitely think it's a step in the right direction to keep the Explorer viable into the future. Let's just hope it ends up going somewhere and doesn't end up collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere next to all of Ford's other concept cars.

I'm actually rather surprised the Explorer is still doing as well as it is! I mean its ridiculously "old school" in its design and execution, has added competition from within in the form of the Edge and Taurus X, and it's STILL managing to maintain volumes around 10,000 a month. Sure, that's nowhere CLOSE to where it once was, but that's hardly volume to flat out ignore.

About this concept -- I definitely think it's a step in the right direction to keep the Explorer viable into the future. Let's just hope it ends up going somewhere and doesn't end up collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere next to all of Ford's other concept cars.

Well, as to the Explorer, even though its ugly, its still the best selling midsize SUV, so its not only its fault that sales have fallen but more the market in general. As to the concept, Mulally has already said he does not like showing a concept and not following through on it, so this should turn into something good.

(emphasis mine)

I'm not actually in the Explorer market, but it occurs to me that one thing Ford hasn't mentioned is the actual towing capacity. I don't think the Ecoboost engines are going to be able to maintain towing. Turbos are notoriously good at 'instantaneous' (sort of) torque, but not being able to sustain it. <speculation> Maybe Ford will have a diesel solution as well. </speculation>

This is from Ecoboost article on BON's front page:

Ford’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, for example, can deliver upwards of 340-plus lb.-ft. of torque across a wide engine range – 2,000 to 5,000 rpm versus 270 to 310 lb.-ft of torque for a conventional naturally aspirated 4.6-liter V-8 over the same speed range. At the same time, this V-6 gives customers an approximate 2 mpg improvement and emits up to 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions to the environment.

Following that logic, the Ecoboost 2 liter should deliver 270 lbft from 2,000 to 5,000 rpm equalling

the 4.6 V8 down low but fading slightly by 5,000. Not bad at all!

But it's not rated to the TT 3.5L's torque output.

Look for an upgraded version by Ecoboost 35's arrival.

Meerly more clutch packs to improve torque capacity, at worst new input and output shafts.

Also, I read that more power would be available for RWD models (ZF Auto?)

Edited by jpd80

Overall, Its pretty good, but the rear windows remind me too much of an FJ Crusier and the dash is boring/blandsville....

Still a few concept gimmicks in there, product confirmation models usually arrive 12 months

before release to the public, so there's probably much more we're not seeing yet.

Brilliant concept. Purely - it instantly conveys "Explorer" while looking bang up-to-date. And it would look brilliant sitting next to a b-market "Bronco" on the showroom floor.

So, the Ford SUV lineup:

Bronco - Escape - Edge - Explorer - Flex - Expedition/EL

If I were any other manufacturer I may be a bit worried - it looks like Ford has it's A-Game on.

Scott

Correct, but it was explained that the Engine would be Torque limited via boost much like the Mazdaspeed 3 is.

Max torque load on the JV transmission is somewhere around 300-315lb-ft.

Perhaps an updated version will be on the market in a year, when the EcoBoost arrives in the MKS, or perhaps Ford will go with an off-the-shelf Aisin unit that can handle that much torque.

Ultimately, it seems, Ford will want an inhouse solution that can handle that much torque, but I think that may come after, not at the same time as, the EcoBoost.

Studying these pictures, I keep thinking it looks just like an Escape, even the same size.. Above I notice the Euro side marker light, like what is tossed onto Mercury's. Has anyone else noticed the sidewalls on those tires? I like the rear tailight's, and I'm glad they are not doing those stupid Jap/Europe tailights on this concept.

However I still keep seeing this as an Escape redo, rather than an Exploder.