lincoln dealers

with lincoln coming around, finally, does this mean there will be more lincoln dealerships opening? perhaps more with-in current ford dealerships?

Mehh, I wouldn't bank on Lincoln being on solid footing yet. What we get from the next gen/updated MKZ and MKX should fortify that. As far as I'm concerned up until the MKS Lincoln was behind big time in terms of tech offerings, heck the MKX doesn't even come with something as piddly as HID headlamps.

Ford needs to also offer up sport models of some Lincoln products, and not silly bodykits like the ones we saw on the LS LSE.

Nope. Still trying to shrink dealer base.

I notice Stark Hickey Ford in Metro Detroit just closed their doors recently. Just a big hulk now taking up three square blocks. Another Ford Dealer bites the dust. I wonder which one will be next to go. Stark Hickey Ford was older than me and I'm old. I have a feeling most of the Ford Dealers in the older Detroit suburbs will be going next. Most of those neighborhoods are changing fast and the whole socioeconomic makeup is chaning with it. More used car buyers than anything or Kia buyers. Ford still seems to be strong in farther out suburbs and in places like Novi, Brighton, and Ann Arbor areas.

As a Lincoln/Mercury dealer Lincoln is a niche franchise...There has to be profit in those cars to be a viable franchise...it's not there yet. We've got to allocate money to vehicles that generate profit and volume...Lincoln don't generate either one as of now.... it's a tough market Lincoln is in.

I notice Stark Hickey Ford in Metro Detroit just closed their doors recently. Just a big hulk now taking up three square blocks. Another Ford Dealer bites the dust. I wonder which one will be next to go. Stark Hickey Ford was older than me and I'm old. I have a feeling most of the Ford Dealers in the older Detroit suburbs will be going next. Most of those neighborhoods are changing fast and the whole socioeconomic makeup is chaning with it. More used car buyers than anything or Kia buyers. Ford still seems to be strong in farther out suburbs and in places like Novi, Brighton, and Ann Arbor areas.

Our local Lincoln-Mercury dealer closed down a few years ago (became a Honda dealer).

A few months ago another local Ford dealer merged/consolidated with a Lincoln-Mercury dealer.

Ford is still trying to make their dealer network smaller. They still have too many dealers.

I agree. As Michael Reynolds said, I don't think Lincoln is quite stable enough to keep all the dealers it now has open, let alone open new ones.

Its not only that. Look at Toyota. They sell many cars through relatively few dealerships. Those dealerships are in turn, very wealthy and attractive. It helps to keep people coming in. Most people are also encouraged if a place is busy.

Its not only that. Look at Toyota. They sell many cars through relatively few dealerships. Those dealerships are in turn, very wealthy and attractive. It helps to keep people coming in. Most people are also encouraged if a place is busy.

I thought about adding that, but didn't. I was going to continue by saying Ford's dealers are cannibalizing themselves by over 'covering.' The customer 'radius' of each dealer overlaps with each other. This as you said, causes fewer sales at each dealer, resulting in lower profit, less finacially sound, weaker dealers.

Ford, as it is doing with the rest of it's operations is trying to cut out the excess dead weight, and will do this with it's dealer network. It will slowly trim out the struggling dealers until it sees fit.

Mehh, I wouldn't bank on Lincoln being on solid footing yet. What we get from the next gen/updated MKZ and MKX should fortify that. As far as I'm concerned up until the MKS Lincoln was behind big time in terms of tech offerings, heck the MKX doesn't even come with something as piddly as HID headlamps.

Ford needs to also offer up sport models of some Lincoln products, and not silly bodykits like the ones we saw on the LS LSE.

I think in general Lincoln needs to broaden it's offerings. They really don't have many models, which doesn't make more new shoppers gravitate to the brand. The MKX is nice and all, but it's really the only new car they have, and they sorely need more.

As a Lincoln/Mercury dealer Lincoln is a niche franchise...There has to be profit in those cars to be a viable franchise...it's not there yet. We've got to allocate money to vehicles that generate profit and volume...Lincoln don't generate either one as of now.... it's a tough market Lincoln is in.

Can I ask you a question?

Was 2007 a better year for you than previous ones? Did any of the new models released in 2007 help out? Did any model draw more people/sales than you expected? Did people who normally wouldn't touch FLM show up at your dealship? I'm curious as you and other dealers are realy on the fore front and get to see and experiance things we don't see or even hear of.

my old dealer in California was started in 1948, and stayed in one location. they were family owned and operated, and many employees were there for decades. they sold out in 2005 (but it has stayed a L/M franchise) the owners son told me there was no future in it for them, as nobody in Dearborn has any clue what they are doing, and were running both divisions into the ground. starting with Jack Nasser its hard to argue with that logic. I hope and pray that there is a bright future for both brands, as I am inclined in that direction since childhood. but I'm afraid its not to be with the current leadership's lack of vision (or the current vision anyway)

it wouldn't be a business I would want to invest in, they have overall brand recognition, but zero model recognition outside Navigator and Town Car. both have been left out to pasture too long, and the other models are changing names too fast for the general public to know what they are. also killing off the LS just as it took hold wasn't great either. people who like the LS go to discover it no longer exists, this kills trust in the brand. same with the zephyr, the name change scares people, who don't want to drive an orphan car.

Ford has burned its traditional base with all three brands, that will take a long time to win back, and in the meantime its appears to be drifting aimlessly around changing names.

speaking from a customer viewpoint, Lincoln isn't always user friendly. when I recently asked about a 08 Mark LT I was looking at online. I called the L/M dealer to simply ask what three optional packages consisted of. (the website does not explain them at all)

I assume they have ordering guides, and perhaps a few in stock, but in 20 minutes on the phone, nobody on that end had any idea what the packages consisted of.

2008 Lincoln Mark LT - Mark LT 4x4 6.5

Class IV Trailer Tow

Deluxe Power Package $1,195.00

Elite Package $4,695.00

Chrome-Plated Running Boards

Skid Plates $160.00

35.7 Gallon Fuel Tank $95.00

SIRIUS® Satellite Radio Package (NA in Alaska and Hawaii)

All Weather Floor Mats– Color Keyed, Front and Rear $75.00

Leather-Trimmed Captain's Chairs with 60/40 2nd Row

18" 7-Spoke Aluminum Wheels

Electronic 4-Speed Automatic Transmission w/Overdrive

3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio

P275/65R18 BSW All-Terrain Tires

Vivid Red Clearcoat Metallic

Interior - Ebony

Destination and Delivery $925.00

Total $47,690.00

Technology Package $2,210.00

Elite Package $4,695.00

I suppose there are folks that are willing to plop down $4700 on an unknown option package, but I'm not one of them.

Edited by Marauder2299of7839

speaking from a customer viewpoint, Lincoln isn't always user friendly. when I recently asked about a 08 Mark LT I was looking at online. I called the L/M dealer to simply ask what three optional packages consisted of. (the website does not explain them at all)

I assume they have ordering guides, and perhaps a few in stock, but in 20 minutes on the phone, nobody on that end had any idea what the packages consisted of.

2008 Lincoln Mark LT - Mark LT 4x4 6.5

Class IV Trailer Tow

Elite Package $4,695.00

Chrome-Plated Running Boards

Skid Plates $160.00

35.7 Gallon Fuel Tank $95.00

SIRIUS® Satellite Radio Package (NA in Alaska and Hawaii)

All Weather Floor Mats– Color Keyed, Front and Rear $75.00

Leather-Trimmed Captain's Chairs with 60/40 2nd Row

18" 7-Spoke Aluminum Wheels

Electronic 4-Speed Automatic Transmission w/Overdrive

3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio

P275/65R18 BSW All-Terrain Tires

Vivid Red Clearcoat Metallic

Interior - Ebony

Destination and Delivery $925.00

Total $47,690.00

Technology Package $2,210.00

Elite Package $4,695.00

I suppose there are folks that are willing to plop down $4700 on an unknown option package, but I'm not one of them.

http://www.lincoln.com/marklt/models.asp

Go over to "Packages" tab

Deluxe Power Package includes: (is included in Elite package)

-Power Moonroof

-Power adjustable pedals

-Power folding, heated, electrochromic mirrors featuring chrome mirror caps, memory and security lamps

-Power, rear-sliding window

-Not available with overhead rail system

-Not available with rear defrost

-When Monochrome Appearance Package is ordered, exterior mirrors will have body-color mirror caps

Elite Package includes:

-Chrome plated running boards

-Deluxe Power Package

-Navigation system

-Power moonroof

-Reverse Sensing System

-Reverse Camera System (Mirror-based)

-Trailer Tow Package

-Limited Slip Differential

--Not available with: Rear defrost or Monochrome Appearance Package

Technology package wasn't listed, but I'd assume it'd include things like Nav system, reverse camera, reverse sensors, maybe a moonroof, etc.

Within the past year in the Houston area, there have been two standalone L-M stores absorbed into Ford stores. One was a family-owned operation which had multiple dealerships, mostly imports. Their L-M dealership was a small operation in an outlying location, combined with Mitsubishi. The dealership facilities were merely OK and were in need of upgrading. I had bought two vehicles there and used them for service. I was friends with a service writer, and he was pretty sure the dealership was on the bottom of the family's totem pole and would at some time be sold or closed. As it turns out, the nearby Ford dealer with the new multi million dollar facility took over the L-M franchise.

I am not as familiar with the other consolidation. I just recently noticed that one of the other mega suburban Ford dealers started advertising Lincolns and Mercurys, I believe out of the same physical location as the Ford store. I assume the L-M dealership up the road has closed.

This seems to fit the pattern we have heard from other cities/ situations.