One Year Blip

FordBuyer

Even if the F series loses the sales title to the Silverado in 2008, GM's victory could end up as a one-year blip. The 2009 F-150 is good enough to keep Ford in front once it has a full year of sales under its belt, predicts Erich Merkle, an industry analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids, Mich.

Says Merkle: "I think they can get it back in 2009."

Looks like this year Ford is going to have to rely more on Super Duty to keep sales crown as GM will aggressively market Silverado this year. If recession deepens, gas prices will go down and make pickups more desirable again. It will be September before Ford has ample supply of new F-150's and I imagine they will keep F-150 inventory on low side to transition to new F-150. But if gas prices drop like rock maybe Ford should try to meet demand by working DTP overtime to have good inventory of 08's on hand. This is going to be hard market to read with dropping interest rates and fuel prices maybe if recession deepens anymore which it seems to be doing daily. Looks like mortgage rates could be going to below 5% and gas may drop big time too if consumers go to sidelines like they are appearing to do.

As I understand it, the F-150 still outsold the Silverado? Where is this coming from ?

that the difference was down to 72k units, and GM has about 60k units more Silverados in stock than Ford. Moreover , Chevy (and Gm in general ) has been much more willing to play with Toyota the incentive game on their trucks - Ford is stubborn and going 100% after profitability this year - even if it means that they lose the crown this year.

Ford will give in somehow actually if they dont wish to play the incentive game. They have what, 2-3 factories they gotta keep pumping F-150's out of? Plus you have the phase in of the new truck, while they will need to get rid of the old truck, so somehow they'll have to pump up incentives on those and get them out the door, I'm not worried...

GM, Nissan, Dodge and Toyota lots are overflowing. They all have them parked out in the grass, in closed dealership lots, vacant property and anywhere else they can warehouse them...except the Ford dealers. 5Star Ford near me has only half a lot of them. Last year the dealership was covered up in trucks. Not this year. The nearby Dodge dealership closed and has been bought out twice in the past two years. Certainly not a good sign of the times for Chrysler.

Edited by jonas1022

GM, Nissan, Dodge and Toyota lots are overflowing. They all have them parked out in the grass, in closed dealership lots, vacant property and anywhere else they can warehouse them...except the Ford dealers. 5Star Ford near me has only half a lot of them. Last year the dealership was covered up in trucks. Not this year. The nearby Dodge dealership closed and has been bought out twice in the past two years. Certainly not a good sign of the times for Chrysler.

I HATE to say it but it is a reflection of overall slow sales....dealers dont replenish their inventory when #'s are down in order to keep flooring down....our lot WAS carrying upwards of 600 cars/ trucks, we currently are at less than half that....

This is on par with looking at a painting through a straw from 2 feet away and trying to describe the whole thing. In contrast the Ford dealer here has plenty of trucks on the lot and the Dodge dealer has the shortage. The Toyota lot is overflowing. The Mistubishi truck (?) is barely noticeable, maybe two or three on the lot that's it. They Chevy lot is about average.

What really confuses me is that nearly everyone's full-size pickup starts above $20,000 or more, but also has $5000 in incentives on the hood. In actuality, the full-size pickup class starts about $17,000, where the stripped F-150 and Silvy "work truck" live, which has to kill compact/mid-size pickup sales.

This is on par with looking at a painting through a straw from 2 feet away and trying to describe the whole thing. In contrast the Ford dealer here has plenty of trucks on the lot and the Dodge dealer has the shortage. The Toyota lot is overflowing. The Mistubishi truck (?) is barely noticeable, maybe two or three on the lot that's it. They Chevy lot is about average.

Auto News inventory figures for what they're worth, show Ford consistently at the bottom of the days in stock list for trucks. Numbers are around a hundred days worth (which is, given there's 35 different kinds of Ford truck, without going into colors and options, to be expected).

If you figure their margin for error is consistent for all three brands, Ford is definitely not swimming in inventory right now.

Auto News inventory figures for what they're worth, show Ford consistently at the bottom of the days in stock list for trucks. Numbers are around a hundred days worth (which is, given there's 35 different kinds of Ford truck, without going into colors and options, to be expected).

If you figure their margin for error is consistent for all three brands, Ford is definitely not swimming in inventory right now.

Post the days worth of inventory for Dodge, Chevy and Toyota.

Post the days worth of inventory for Dodge, Chevy and Toyota.

I don' wanna!!!!

Igor does it about every month.

I'm going to spend two minutes looking for it. If I don't find it by 10:25, you're on your own.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=16107

Sorry. That's all I could find and I looked for four minutes instead of two.

Trust me, the numbers are on this site somewhere.

I don' wanna!!!!

Igor does it about every month.

I'm going to spend two minutes looking for it. If I don't find it by 10:25, you're on your own.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=16107

Sorry. That's all I could find and I looked for four minutes instead of two.

Trust me, the numbers are on this site somewhere.

LOL Cheapskate. My guess is that even though Fords numbers are the lowest the numbers overall are probably within 15 to 20 days of that. I think last I heard Dodges numbers were 125 or something like that.

GM has the bestselling Full Size line in the country, the F-150 wins by a technicality. However, Ford has a relatively exciting and fresh new entry for 2008/2009, I don't understand the argument that they will loose it to the Silverado.

They're referring to it losing sales in 2008 (while the F-150 is still selling the current body style) and losing the crown for 2008. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, the F-150 will be on sale when? Next fall? Early or late? Depending on when it goes on sale, it could help boost F-series numbers at the end of 2008.

What really confuses me is that nearly everyone's full-size pickup starts above $20,000 or more, but also has $5000 in incentives on the hood. In actuality, the full-size pickup class starts about $17,000, where the stripped F-150 and Silvy "work truck" live, which has to kill compact/mid-size pickup sales.

That's why nobody buys midsize and compact trucks, you can get a larger, more capable truck for the same price and sometimes less than a compact/mid-size truck.

LOL Cheapskate. My guess is that even though Fords numbers are the lowest the numbers overall are probably within 15 to 20 days of that. I think last I heard Dodges numbers were 125 or something like that.

I don't blame him, there are many times when I don't feel like looking something up when somebody asks me to.