Ford’s moving up with Focus MkIII

Edstock

In all fairness I think having JUST the Focus being a discount car was not a bad stratedgy. The Focus has to compete with Toy and Honda, which have established reputations. For a car of Focuses price, it would be hard to make it desirable, so they went cheap. I don't think it was a terrible idea. As Focus buyers could graduate to the Fusion. When I replace my *ahem* Civic I am going to buy either a Mazdaspeed3 or a Performance Focus.
? And you're not buying an Si because...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even talking toilets...if you fill a sink then pull the plug....one way one hemisphere, another the other....no jets involved except to get to the country, drinking copious amouts of new zealand pinot to help deal with uncontrolled german toddlers screaming for close to the whole 12 1/2 hrs and getting rib prodded by a Jewish Spainish court translater ( you figure that one out ) that couldn't figure out how to operate her personal Movie unit but somehow figured that my closed eyes ahd NOTHING TO DO WITH ME TRYING TO CATCH SOME DAMN ZZZZZZZZZZZ's

Deanh, I pulled the plug on my sink 10 times here in Australia, the water spins clockwise,

I'll put down the phone and check my neighbour's sink, he lives 10 miles away.

Deanh, I pulled the plug on my sink 10 times here in Australia, the water spins clockwise,

I'll put down the phone and check my neighbour's sink, he lives 10 miles away.

Hugely off topic, but did you see the travel warnings that your country released about Canada and the US? It was a little funny.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Hugely off topic, but did you see the travel warnings that your country released about Canada and the US? It was a little funny.

Aussies don't usually read travel warnings - especially from their own government.

I see the C2 is set to grow in wheelbase and tread width, this would make it closer internally

to the superceeded Mazda 6. Does this then mean the next Fusion if based on a new EUCD2

design will be as big internally as the Taurus or would that not be allowed?

Does this then mean the next Fusion if based on a new EUCD2

design will be as big internally as the Taurus or would that not be allowed?

It will be much like the new Malibu. A long wheel base like an Impala or Taurus but less overhang, narrower wheel track, lighter weight and lower price.

It looks like the tailgate's come off your Mini Deanh how will you see any thing out the back window its so high and small, is the registration plate at the front attached with tie wraps on the grille

car_photo_239616_25.jpg

It's obviously a chop, notice the backwards Ford emblem and half of a rear wiper?

At the moment we have C1 and C170 for C sized cars and CD3, EUCD and D3 for D / E sized cars.

With dedicated C platforms, there's no need for the C part of CD based platforms. There would also be

be more benefit in having the Fiesta/Verve and Focus on the same platform say, BC3.

Could the line up be like this:

- a DE platform for FWD (Fusion/Taurus /Flex)

- a DE platform for RWD (Mustang/Falcon/Territory/Explorer/Interceptor/MKR)

- a BC platform for FWD (Fiesta/Verve and Focus).

That way, vehicle groups could share more closely related componentry like architecture,

power train, suspension and electrical systems.

Edited by jpd80

If Ford was semi-intelligent, they would use at least 3 different powertrains for this car.

-- "SE" Trim, 1.8 (or somewhere thereabouts) CDI diesel, ~ 125 hp, ~ 160 lb-ft.

-- "SE" Trim, 2.0 gasoline, ~150 hp.

-- "SES" Trim, 2.5 gasoline, ~ 175 hp.

-- "ST" Trim, 2.0 EcoBoost, ~260 hp + AWD.

That gives buyers plenty of options that are actually worth-while. And the Europeans will no longer get the best Foci exclusively...

At the moment we have C1 and C170 for C sized cars and CD3, EUCD and D3 for D / E sized cars.

With dedicated C platforms, there's no need for the C part of CD based platforms. There would also be

be more benefit in having the Fiesta/Verve and Focus on the same platform say, BC3.

Could the line up be like this:

- a DE platform for FWD (Fusion/Taurus /Flex)

- a DE platform for RWD (Mustang/Falcon/Territory/Explorer/Interceptor/MKR)

- a BC platform for FWD (Fiesta/Verve and Focus).

That way, vehicle groups could share more closely related componentry like architecture,

power train, suspension and electrical systems.

The b car is too price sensitive, to be sahred with the C car. thus all the way back in 2001 they thought about putting the fiesta on a shortened C170 platform but couldn't meet the needs for cost and weight.

put it this way the B2E is 2200lbs-2500lbs C1 is 2700-3400lbs EUCD is 3100-4200lbs.

this is a formality. because the architecture and assembly will be common. although B2e will be simpler and less costly it will share where possible.

If Ford was semi-intelligent, they would use at least 3 different powertrains for this car.

-- "SE" Trim, 1.8 (or somewhere thereabouts) CDI diesel, ~ 125 hp, ~ 160 lb-ft.

-- "SE" Trim, 2.0 gasoline, ~150 hp.

-- "SES" Trim, 2.5 gasoline, ~ 175 hp.

-- "ST" Trim, 2.0 EcoBoost, ~260 hp + AWD.

That gives buyers plenty of options that are actually worth-while. And the Europeans will no longer get the best Foci exclusively...

I don't think the TDCi will make it .

I would like to see a 140hp GDI 1.8l engine standard on the focus good for 34/41mpg city/hwy

Optional 175hp 2.5l I4 on limited edition ST model.

220-240hp 2.0l EcoBoost AWD RS.

Is direct injection going to be standard on all engines, or will it be an option?

The smallest engine for NA is probably going to be the 2.0L, but I think a 1.5L with DI would be a better option. I agree that having more engine choices is empowering, but I just don't want it to be like in Europe where you have to choose between a 1.4L, a 1.6L, a 1.6L diesel, a 1.8L, a 1.8L diesel, a 1.8L flex fuel, a 2.0L, a 2.0L diesel and a 2.5L turbo. How does anyone choose between them?

Is direct injection going to be standard on all engines, or will it be an option?

The smallest engine for NA is probably going to be the 2.0L, but I think a 1.5L with DI would be a better option. I agree that having more engine choices is empowering, but I just don't want it to be like in Europe where you have to choose between a 1.4L, a 1.6L, a 1.6L diesel, a 1.8L, a 1.8L diesel, a 1.8L flex fuel, a 2.0L, a 2.0L diesel and a 2.5L turbo. How does anyone choose between them?

They drive each and choose which one they like?

All nine???

"Excuse me, Mr. Car Salesman. Do you have a spare afternoon? I'd like to talk about the Focus."

And yet they cope quite well, a person on a car lot is looking to the salesman for the reason to buy.

More choices makes for less negative excuses from customer..

Eliminate all the perceived impediments for buying a new car and sign up happens very quickly.

Edited by jpd80

I don't think the TDCi will make it .

I would like to see a 140hp GDI 1.8l engine standard on the focus good for 34/41mpg city/hwy

Optional 175hp 2.5l I4 on limited edition ST model.

220-240hp 2.0l EcoBoost AWD RS.

Hi Biker16,

I didn't actually know the powertrain output-- I was just guessing, based on the Focus' competitors' output ratings...

I really do hope to see a turbo-diesel, especially if Ford wants to help their CAFE numbers...