Ford to Sell commerical Van in US

silvrsvt

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1201643874...hs&ru=yahoo

Ford Motor Co. plans to bring its European commercial van, known as Transit Connect, to the U.S., people familiar with the company's plans said.

Ford executives will announce the move at next week's Chicago Auto Show, people familiar with the matter said. Ford, looking to compete with Chrysler LLC's commercial van, the Dodge Sprinter, will aim for modest volumes of about 20,000 vehicles toward the end of 2009, one of these people said. Chrysler sold 16,586 Sprinters in the U.S. in 2007, according to Autodata Corp, off about 25% from a year earlier.

Another interesting quote:

Meanwhile, Ford will attempt to prolong buzz for its redesigned F-150 pickup truck at Chicago's auto show. The auto maker plans to tout new technology that will allow drivers to locate tools or other items in the bed of the truck. Ford introduced the truck, which goes on sales later this year, in January at the Detroit auto show.
Edited by silvrsvt

With the exchange rate, how could this possibly be profitable?

If it's made in Turkey, the exchange won't be onerous; if it's EU sourced, that might be a problem, but, if sales are great enough, then you can produce it in NA.

Is there a real market for these type of vehicles?

This is the question. Much better to import a few, to see how the market reacts. If it's a success, then you can tool up the next one domestically. But, compared to tooling up in NA, importing a new model is cheaper, less risky, and these days, Ford needs all the new models it can get, especially where the competition doesn't exist.

AutoWeek has the story correct (link)

While the diesel engine is a hot seller in Europe, I don't know what engine the Transit Connect will be sold with in the US.

Interesting quote from AutoWeek

Some analysts have said that Ford could begin assembling the Transit Connect in North America during the next decade.

You know, if this thing had some rear windows and seats, it could give the Honda Element a run for its money !

The "full size" Transit is still a US possibility a few years down the road.

AutoWeek has the story correct (link)

While the diesel engine is a hot seller in Europe, I don't know what engine the Transit Connect will be sold with in the US.

Interesting quote from AutoWeek

You know, if this thing had some rear windows and seats, it could give the Honda Element a run for its money !

The "full size" Transit is still a US possibility a few years down the road.

2.0 ecoboost would be pretty cool!

transit_connect.jpg

The Transit looks like it would be a great vehicle for rural postal carriers, if Ford offers right hand drive as an option, and if those carriers don't mind the look.

As long as if it's priced right and offers a ton of options, then I think there would be a pretty decent market for it, especially if Ford markets it correctly.

In addition to rural postal carriers, many small businesses could benefit from a small, practical vehicle like the Transit, I think.

...You know, if this thing had some rear windows and seats, it could give the Honda Element a run for its money !...

A run for what? On which one is uglier? I doubt anybody will be buying a TC for a daily drier that's not using it for business. I did courier work for a short time. A vehicle like this would have been perfect!

I hope they offer it with 3 rows of seats and sliders. If you have several kids in car seats, you just cant beat sliders. This could be there "in" to the minivan market again if they play there cards right. Diesel would be sweet, i know someone wiht the dodge that gets 26mpg highway, though it isnt a powerhouse.

Please make a family version :hyper:

I hope they offer it with 3 rows of seats and sliders. If you have several kids in car seats, you just cant beat sliders. This could be there "in" to the minivan market again if they play there cards right. Diesel would be sweet, i know someone wiht the dodge that gets 26mpg highway, though it isnt a powerhouse.

Please make a family version :hyper:

They sell one in Europe call the Tourneo (link). 5 or 8 passenger.

Edited by theoldwizard

They sell one in Europe call the Tourneo (link). 5 or 8 passenger.

I think "sell' is a wrong word for this - the Tourneo Connect is not the most successful small van on the market. the problem is that while the commercial Transit Connect customer can appreciate the rugged construction of the little van, it is useless and even a hindrance to the van customers - there are other vans that ride smoother, offer more space, fold flat seats and whatnot - the Tourneo connect cannot hide the fact it is based on a dolly. The solid rear axle, rear leaf springs, and basically a frame under the van help the Transit Connect be the most capable small van out there for cargo, but it doomed it from the passenger duty.

Igor

I dig it. I think a lot of small business would take a liking to it, with a small diesel and charming little european looks, small stores in metro areas like DC/LA/NY would see it as 'hip' in bright colors. Contractors are already programed to Ford, so any light-duty use that gets decent mileage would be a no-brainer as long as it dances around the $20-25k mark.

Apparently Ford already has a small fleet of these running around US working for different businesses - THEY ALL HAVE THE DIESELS!!!

I am very hopeful the diesel will b offered as an option - that would be an insane option.

Igor

I wonder where, haven't seen any, the Sprinters are everywhere!!

I wonder where, haven't seen any, the Sprinters are everywhere!!

I have heard of some in california, some in Texas, and some in Michigan

Sprinters are on sale - these are "test" vehicles Ford gave to some companies to use and provide feedback.

PS: Dodge only sold 16,000 Sprinters in 2007 - 16K!!! That is barely more than E-series sold in the month of December 07

Igor

Edited by igor

I dig it. I think a lot of small business would take a liking to it, with a small diesel and charming little european looks, small stores in metro areas like DC/LA/NY would see it as 'hip' in bright colors. Contractors are already programed to Ford, so any light-duty use that gets decent mileage would be a no-brainer as long as it dances around the $20-25k mark.

Here in the UK, the Transit Connect sells for a little less than a base focus. Granted the Focus is a little more upscale here than back in NA, but you get the idea.