Ford Motor Company Sales: January 2008

Blue Oval Guide

You got the head of world wide marketing at Ford basically telling everyone 2008 is going to be a tough one and you don't think that is a warning for the rest of the year. I guess you know better than the head of world wide marketing when it comes to 2008, NOT!

Secondly, Ford has yet to stop the bleeding and is losing sales every month. The flagship F-Series line just dropped over 8% (Ford sells almost 3X as many trucks as cars) while GM increased over 4%, yet that tells you nothing. What it should tell you is the first half of the year is in the crapper.

Just wait 2-3 years and everything will work out, NOT!

Is it 1988 already?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few engine tweaks and some styling certainly COULD raise the Mustang's sales by 44%. However, Ford doesn't really NEED it to increase that much. It's already a class-leader in sales. Fuel prices be damned, people are going to still buy them if they look fresh (and hate the Mustang II if you want, but Ford sold a TON of them from 74-78), offer ADEQUATE fuel economy, and offer a good performance bang-for-the-buck. The economy will continue to work against it for awhile probably, but it has weathered rougher storms in the past.

Thanks for the reply Nick, l hope all the tweaks and the styling changes turn it back around again for the Mustang in the future, the present Mustang million times better than the one from the Mid 70's, 60's Mustang was the best version lets keep fingers crossed and hope the updates do the trick once more again for Ford. Cheers Nick

Thanks for the reply Nick, l hope all the tweaks and the styling changes turn it back around again for the Mustang in the future, the present Mustang million times better than the one from the Mid 70's, 60's Mustang was the best version lets keep fingers crossed and hope the updates do the trick once more again for Ford. Cheers Nick

It would have been nice if the refresh came this year, but what are you going to do? It will be nice when it finally DOES come though. Think of all the new features that will be ready for it FROM THE START: Duratec 35, new Sony audio, perhaps a 6-speed auto, hopefully at least one Boss V8, updated MOD's....it's going to be a solid effort for sure.

Here's another reason why mlhm5 doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

He compares "F-Series volume" with GM "light truck volume"

Here's Chevrolet's FULL SIZE TRUCK STATS FOR JANUARY 2008

Avalanche			 3,081	4,285  -28.1	3,081	4,285  -28.1
	 Silverado-C/K
	  Pickup			  36,122   38,393   -5.9   36,122   38,393   -5.9
Chevrolet Fullsize
 Pickups				  39,203   42,678   -8.1   39,203   42,678   -8.1

Not so different from the oldest truck on the market today, eh?

Mr. Jensen GOTCHA! Wonder how the troll will try to rationalize those facts. The major reason GM sales are up is because of sales by its new Crossovers, the Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave. I betcha Chevy Trailblazer sales were dismal along with their pickup truck sales as noted above. 2008 is going to be a tough year for EVERYONE if January is any indication. Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota sales DOWN. Nissan had the worst month percentage wise.

F-150 sales should be better last half of 2008 when new F-150 hits dealerships assuming fuel prices are not through roof and economy hasn't tanked completely. I would imagine the new Flex will be considered a truck like Edge and help truck sales also.

Let's put this in perspective. Jag and Land Rover's GLOBAL sales are on target and profits are far ahead of expectations... Over 1 billion dollars in profit for Land Rover in 2007. Land Rover just smashed it's sales records. S and X types are being removed from sale. Hence Jags figures will fall naturally as they aim for 80,000 units a year. Also US economy is in the toilet so it's lucky that they are International premium brands and not over reliant on one market.

Now look at rubbish Lincoln. Sales down 16.8%! In their only market (sorry forgot Canada). Mullally taking it international or taking the piss?

Let's put this in perspective. Jag and Land Rover's GLOBAL sales are on target and profits are far ahead of expectations... Over 1 billion dollars in profit for Land Rover in 2007. Land Rover just smashed it's sales records. S and X types are being removed from sale. Hence Jags figures will fall naturally as they aim for 80,000 units a year. Also US economy is in the toilet so it's lucky that they are International premium brands and not over reliant on one market.

Now look at rubbish Lincoln. Sales down 16.8%! In their only market (sorry forgot Canada). Mullally taking it international or taking the piss?

Knew it wouldn't take you long to put some ridiculous spin on J-LR's horrible month in the states. Are we going to stop seeing you once this sale is complete? If so, it can't come quickly enough!! :happy feet:

HUH? Jaguar sales SUCK and are even so far this year worse than last year. Even the new XK has dismal sales. Read the Lincoln sales figures carefully. MKZ and MKX sales UP. Only reason Lincoln sales have been down lately is because production just started on Town Car after 6 month hiatus. Once Town Car supply gets adequate, numbers will come back up and with new MKS Lincoln sales should be up again in 2008. Lincoln will lose LT sales this year, but MKS and freshened MKZ should more than make up for it. Town Car is good for another 25,000 extra sales as it's still popular with livery crowd.

HUH? Jaguar sales SUCK and are even so far this year worse than last year. Even the new XK has dismal sales. Read the Lincoln sales figures carefully. MKZ and MKX sales UP. Only reason Lincoln sales have been down lately is because production just started on Town Car after 6 month hiatus. Once Town Car supply gets adequate, numbers will come back up and with new MKS Lincoln sales should be up again in 2008. Lincoln will lose LT sales this year, but MKS and freshened MKZ should more than make up for it. Town Car is good for another 25,000 extra sales as it's still popular with livery crowd.

mustang sales are fine..people here are still paying 10k to 20k asnine adm fee for the shelby...refresh is needed soon or camaro will make a big dent in sales...new chally wont help stang sales either

I know the Mustang sales are still higher than the Mini Nick, and what Mustang owner ever talks MPG. You can't come out with the Mustang needs a styling refresh Nick its bullshit, the Mini is on it's third at the moment and it older than the Mustang (1959) and doing well on it sales up 44%. A refresh can ruin a car as well look what happed to the Mustang refresh it had in the mid 70's it was dreadful.

So what do you think Ford could change on the Mustang to give it a 44% sales boost Nick, the only thing l can think of is $1 a gallon gasoline.

I don't think you can compare the Mini to the Mustang. At least not in the U.S. The original Mini never sold here in any great quantity had sold nothing at all from 1968 until the BMW MINI was introduced. It may be on its third refresh in Europe but it's a brand new car here. There are few here who have any recollection of the original Mini other than from TV and movies. My brother has a '64 Cooper S and most people around here have no idea what it is.

In addition the Mini is still a niche car here with a tiny dealer network.

Mr. Jensen GOTCHA! Wonder how the troll will try to rationalize those facts. The major reason GM sales are up is because of sales by its new Crossovers, the Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave. I betcha Chevy Trailblazer sales were dismal along with their pickup truck sales as noted above. 2008 is going to be a tough year for EVERYONE if January is any indication. Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota sales DOWN. Nissan had the worst month percentage wise.

F-150 sales should be better last half of 2008 when new F-150 hits dealerships assuming fuel prices are not through roof and economy hasn't tanked completely. I would imagine the new Flex will be considered a truck like Edge and help truck sales also.

Add back in GMC because it is the same truck from the same company and then where are you?

Just a quick note from the conference call:

Farley noted that Ford's cars shifted to 54% of all volume this month, where they were only 30% of sales about two years ago.

whats killing ford in truck sales besides cost of gas...is antiquated engines....they need the hurricane as optional choice in the f150 like yesterday..ram is going to have significantly beter ride and handling..f150 sales i suspect are going to be a downer for some time

January does not look all that bad considering the economy...

The Escape is still doing well...

The new engine/trans just might make this little guy the "sleeper" of the Ford lineup...

Glad to see the Edge doing so well... ( I love mine )

I am seeing more of the new Focus on the road...

Saw a really sharp Black/Tan Tarus X today... It is VERY nice! ( FORD advertise the damn thing!!!! )

The Fusion needs a little more juice ( 3.5L = far more sales in my opinion... ) Like it or not, the new V6 Camry and Accord are just a little more attractive on paper. They have more HP and the same or better gas milage. I think many people simply see the numbers and never bother to take a look at the Fusion.... I can't believe it would cost all that much to get the 3.5L in the Fusion...

The Mustang is in desperate need of a significant update. It needs a 400hp V8 in the GT and a 275-300hp 3.7L in the V6... That is the ONLY thing in my opinion that might increase the numbers back to the recent 2005-2006 glory days. The interior is still pretty cheezy, but it's a Mustang. People DO NOT buy them for economy or the interior. I would just love to see one with a dash/interior that does not squeek, and rattle so badly... I drove a friends new 2008 GT vert and it's dash is as bad as the one in my 2005. I helped him locate and fix two squeeks and three rattles...( sloppy assembly ) One we just could not find.... ( I think it is in the heater core support ) Without 400hp the Challenger and Camero are going to steal a lot of sales....period....

The Fusion needs a little more juice ( 3.5L = far more sales in my opinion... ) Like it or not, the new V6 Camry and Accord are just a little more attractive on paper. They have more HP and the same or better gas milage. I think many people simply see the numbers and never bother to take a look at the Fusion.... I can't believe it would cost all that much to get the 3.5L in the Fusion...

Pipas confirmed CD3 triplets updates hit production late this year on the conference call.

Also those January Mustang numbers from last year are freakishly high. Mustang should be off again this year, but not uniformly by that amount.

As I mentioned earlier, those numbers from last year translate to a SAR Ford hasn't seen with the Mustang since '05.

Another note: Ford doesn't do DSR numbers because, according to Pipas, "Every day is a selling day around here."

Someone asked if there were more or fewer selling days in January and Pipas said, "Well, there were 31 days in January this year and 31 days in January last year, so I'd say the number of selling days was the same."

===

Also, Fusion fleet sales off 50% for the month, Fusion retail flat, and Milan higher.

Another note: Ford doesn't do DSR numbers because, according to Pipas, "Every day is a selling day around here."

Someone asked if there were more or fewer selling days in January and Pipas said, "Well, there were 31 days in January this year and 31 days in January last year, so I'd say the number of selling days was the same."

===

Also, Fusion fleet sales off 50% for the month, Fusion retail flat, and Milan higher.

the 1979 olsdmobiles must be out early this year

Retail sales were up on the Fusion, Milan, and MKZ too. And Taurus sales have been good two months in row. Last month, Taurus beat Avalon and Lucerne in sales by good margin and should this month with Jan. being a very slow month for everyone. Taurus X sales are not bad either. Once Town Car sales get back up to 3,000/month or so, Ford sales should be better. Lincoln is really missing Town Car sales as Town Car production started only couple weeks ago. Ford sales would have been down only about 1.5% if they they had 3,000 Town Cars to sell.

For those who keep saying Ford should not sell JLR to Tata, look at Jaguar sales. They are horrible and getting worse. The sooner Ford can get rid of Jaguar the better. Those sales only drag down Ford sales further. Nothing at Jaguar sells, including new XK. Maybe Jaguar does OK in Europe, but not here. Let Tata have the problem.

And where do you think Ford will get 3000 Town cars a month from ...not from STAP try half that.

The Ranger though? Up 19 percent? No there's no market for these trucks now that gas is high. lol Lets shitcan the Ranger and completely refuse to do any kind of refresh on it. lol

Yeah look how the full-sized truck sales tanked almost as much as the Ranger sales picked up. Well, maybe Ford can find the kindness in their heart to adapt one of the newer steering wheels to update it... Oh yeah and give it an ugly Super Chief grille...

Edited by Watchdevil

And where do you think Ford will get 3000 Town cars a month from ...not from STAP try half that.

What is so high about 3,000/month. Ford sells over 4,000 Crown Vics and 4,000 Grand Marquis/month and could go higher no problem. The Town Car has been in same range when it was made at Wixom. I doubt if Ford went to all the trouble of shipping all the Town Car tooling to Canada to make 250 Town Cars a week. There is probably some pent up demand for the Town Car since it's been out of production and I bet they will try to make about 700/week which should be doable.