Is that IRS on that 2010 Mustang??

igor

Man you cheerleaders are all over the map. The sky is the limit when it comes to the F-150. Computers, printers, fancy tow hooks, stair cases...it's all good.

BUT, when it comes to something that would make the Mustang better for the average buyer...you say screw that, it is too heavy and it costs too much, boo hoo.

Unless, of course, people that drive a Mustang only drive in a straight line and on a perfectly smooth surface.

I think we are all in agreement here that you would be one of the first to go into a tyrade about the Mustangs weight if IRS was added along with"pimp" your ride options.....no? I can see it now....non competitive 0-60, another below the bar effort.... and hmm, here we go...F-150s cover ALL bases...don't want the bling there is a model...correct?...the Mustang is considered a MUSCLE car...best kept relitively simple....it has always been this way...course we could turn it into a Blvd cruiser if you prefer....and didn't you mention a certain SOLID AXLE RWD car being a great handler? whos all over the map? And please add icing and tell evryone how you could blow the doors off of the mustang.........yet another car you probably haven't driven or drove with pre-conceived complaints....

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The powered Control Blade IRS Ford Australia developed for the Falcon 6 years ago has no weight

or cost penalty, employes stamped steel brackets and can be tuned for comfort independantly of

handling. It is the ultimate IRS.

Ttoday the base Falcon costs as much now as it did in 1995 so Ford must be doing something right.

Compare the Cobra IRS with the Falcon Control Blade unit:

BA_IRS2_lrg45.jpg

BAirs_productionline.jpg

New Falcon IRS units on the production line at Dana, Broadmeadows.

rear%20cobra%20irs%20tn.jpg

Edited by jpd80

I think we are all in agreement here that you would be one of the first to go into a tyrade about the Mustangs weight if IRS was added along with"pimp" your ride options.....no? I can see it now....non competitive 0-60, another below the bar effort.... and hmm, here we go...F-150s cover ALL bases...don't want the bling there is a model...correct?...the Mustang is considered a MUSCLE car...best kept relitively simple....it has always been this way...course we could turn it into a Blvd cruiser if you prefer....and didn't you mention a certain SOLID AXLE RWD car being a great handler? whos all over the map? And please add icing and tell evryone how you could blow the doors off of the mustang.........yet another car you probably haven't driven or drove with pre-conceived complaints....

So it is impossible for Ford to do it? They over-engineer tow hooks...but they can't make a competitive IRS for the Mustang.

I guess thats called having faith.

I don't care about the drag racers. If they're already going to rip out the back seats and dashboard and Lord knows what else, they can do the swap themselves. The IRS could very well make the Mustang more appealing to the majority of non-enthusiasts who actually buy them. That's what's important. I've always found that to be an exceptionally stupid reason for keeping the SRA.

As for cost, well...I'm part of the camp that believes it would be money well spent. Low cost isn't the only reason (IMO not even the primary reason) why the Mustang has remained so popular. Especially not nowadays. People aren't going to compromise handling and comfort just to save a few bucks.

I don't want or need a IRS rear suspension. Unlike you, I bought the 07 Mustang...will you buy a Mustang if it has an IRS with the associated weight penalty? Have you driven a new generation Mustang? Handles great...solid rear axle and all. That cruedness is part of what makes a Mustang a Mustang. If you take all the little subtle issuse out of the car, then it just becomes another appliance with no soul.

If I want to tune the car for maximum performance, I am glad that I don't have to worry about the reliablity of the IRS.

I don't want or need a IRS rear suspension. Unlike you, I bought the 07 Mustang...will you buy a Mustang if it has an IRS with the associated weight penalty? Have you driven a new generation Mustang? Handles great...solid rear axle and all. That cruedness is part of what makes a Mustang a Mustang. If you take all the little subtle issuse out of the car, then it just becomes another appliance with no soul.

Then why not just buy a 40 year old Mustang...rather than some modern car thats trying to be a 40 year old Mustang?

Edited by P71_CrownVic

So it is impossible for Ford to do it? They over-engineer tow hooks...but they can't make a competitive IRS for the Mustang.

I guess thats called having faith.

its to do with hard points and the platform i beleive...however if the Mustang platform becomes that coming from our Aussie stalwarts then it IS possible, and according to jpd80 at little or no weight penalty....

I don't want or need a IRS rear suspension. Unlike you, I bought the 07 Mustang...will you buy a Mustang if it has an IRS with the associated weight penalty?
Sure. Why not?

Have you driven a new generation Mustang?
No, but I've had the misfortune of riding in one. Never again. Took me at least a couple hours to fully unclench.

Handles great...solid rear axle and all.
No. Just no.

That cruedness is part of what makes a Mustang a Mustang. If you take all the little subtle issuse out of the car, then it just becomes another appliance with no soul.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in all my life. Something bad about a car makes it good. If you take away all the bad from a car, you make it worse. Honestly, folks. You have to start making sense.

If I want to tune the car for maximum performance, I am glad that I don't have to worry about the reliablity of the IRS.
Well I don't want to tune the car for maximum performance. I just want to drive my car through the badly-maintained roads of Michigan without financing an osteopath's new ski boat or careening into a ditch.

No, but I've had the misfortune of riding in one. Never again. Took me at least a couple hours to fully unclench.

Nothing to do with Solid Axle. Has to do with tuning. Case in point. Crown Vic with a solid axle has soft ride, 300 with IRS has very bumpy ride. Expy with IRS has bumpy ride, Tahoe with SRA has soft ride.

How so?

this is why you get lambasted and :redcard: vehicles keep getting brought up...you bring retaliation, we have an absolute negatard armchair opinion, lambasting a vehicle whom has never driven one, probably even ridden in one, read articles on one yet harps on the SAME solid rear axle setup that he praises the handling of in his OWN car....doesn't make that opinion very valid P.

this is why you get lambasted and :redcard: vehicles keep getting brought up...you bring retaliation, we have an absolute negatard armchair opinion, lambasting a vehicle whom has never driven one, probably even ridden in one, read articles on one yet harps on the SAME solid rear axle setup that he praises the handling of in his OWN car....doesn't make that opinion very valid P.

If you would read every now and then...you would find that I believe that everything that makes my car GREAT for a fleet vehicle makes it HORRIBLE for a retail car.

I hope the Mustang does launch with a solid rear axle. Then it will be behind the competition from the start.

And if we can take Top Gear's test of their Pontiac G8, then the Mustang will have it's ass handed to it by a 4-door family sedan. After all, their 415 "Pontiac G8" murdered the GT"500" on the track. :hysterical:

If you would read every now and then...you would find that I believe that everything that makes my car GREAT for a fleet vehicle makes it HORRIBLE for a retail car.

I hope the Mustang does launch with a solid rear axle. Then it will be behind the competition from the start.

And if we can take Top Gear's test of their Pontiac G8, then the Mustang will have it's ass handed to it by a 4-door family sedan. After all, their 415 "Pontiac G8" murdered the GT"500" on the track. :hysterical:

But the :redcard: make money no? check the sales figures for both the G8 and Stang...the PUBLIC, not you has spoken....as i have said there is a reason the mustang is what it is, and the reason it is so sucessful.....why compromise sales if one does not have to....if youd ever driven one i would value your assessment, but once again you are just stoking the fire P....

But the :redcard: make money no? check the sales figures for both the G8 and Stang...the PUBLIC, not you has spoken....as i have said there is a reason the mustang is what it is, and the reason it is so sucessful.....why compromise sales if one does not have to....if youd ever driven one i would value your assessment, but once again you are just stoking the fire P....

Right...the solid rear axle is why people go out in droves to buy a V6 Mustang. rolleyes2.gif

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Right...the solid rear axle is why people go out in droves to buy a V6 Mustang. rolleyes2.gif

yes they do, because its so high on their lists........are you a blackbelt in nimrod ? :banghead: P, I don't come here just to argue unlike you, and i'll also admit when i'm wrong...people DON"T care if the Stang ( ESPECIALLY the 6 ) is IRS or not.........

Edited by Deanh

I am not trying to burn you, just trying to understand you. What is the hate with the Mustang when you drive a Panther with a solid rear axle and have no issues with that setup?

because he just likes arguing about issues he knows NOTHING about.......nice lazyboy though

yes they do, because its so high on their lists........are you a blackbelt in nimrod ? :banghead: P, I don't come here just to argue unlike you, and i'll also admit when i'm wrong...people DON"T care if the Stang ( ESPECIALLY the 6 ) is IRS or not.........

I agree wholeheartly with this post.