Chrysler 300/Charger facelift due in 2011

Edstock

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/chrysle...ticking-around/

They got it from

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=795

which also had an entry on GM's RWD cancellation

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=759

"The new fuel-economy rules, however, have basically forced GM to reconsider its extensive plans for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Rear-wheel-drive trucks and SUVs are safe for now because the new federal rules will allow some wiggle room for trucks. GM, though, is not in a position to absorb the roughly 1-mpg fuel-economy penalty that comes with building rear-wheel-drive passenger cars"

How does this affect the development of a new RWD platform for FoMoCo?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/chrysle...ticking-around/

They got it from

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=795

which also had an entry on GM's RWD cancellation

http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=759

"The new fuel-economy rules, however, have basically forced GM to reconsider its extensive plans for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Rear-wheel-drive trucks and SUVs are safe for now because the new federal rules will allow some wiggle room for trucks. GM, though, is not in a position to absorb the roughly 1-mpg fuel-economy penalty that comes with building rear-wheel-drive passenger cars"

How does this affect the development of a new RWD platform for FoMoCo?

I would think there are PLENTY of ways to get over a trivial 1mpg, electric steering assistance along with other [parasitic losses, lower curb weights and better aero efficiency, 6 speed transmissions ( soon to probably become 10 speeds....who knows ) to name a few....

Well, as Dean pointed out, 1mpg is a specious reason to switch to FWD. You won't see M-B or BMW doing it anytime soon.

That's why the GM decision for their G-8 replacement is curious. THen again, the G-8 may carry longer than they intended, to let technology advance so its replacement will take advantage of improvements not possible today.

But, 2011 for a 300 re-do? If that's MY 2011, that means the end of 2010 for the new 300, which should be after the Fusion and Taurus.

Well, as Dean pointed out, 1mpg is a specious reason to switch to FWD. You won't see M-B or BMW doing it anytime soon.

That's why the GM decision for their G-8 replacement is curious. THen again, the G-8 may carry longer than they intended, to let technology advance so its replacement will take advantage of improvements not possible today.

But, 2011 for a 300 re-do? If that's MY 2011, that means the end of 2010 for the new 300, which should be after the Fusion and Taurus.

and by that time Chrysler may be in a world of hurting...if the product they are pretty much dependent on is THAt long in the tooth sales will decline even further...and truth be told i can't see many if any big changes on the refresh...looks pretty much the same..future looks a little bleak for Cerebus...

So, it's going to take them until 2011 to refresh these cars?! That's absurd. Chrysler's going to give the Panthers a run for their money in staleness. I feel sorry for Chrysler. I mean, I'm no fan, but I'd hate to see them fall. It'd be a tragedy.

yeah..that is way too long....might as well kiss chrysler goodbye..they need new and innovative models like yeterday

Frankly I have little enthusiasm for RWD cars unless they come with a powerful V8 engine. If CAFE means only 4 cylinder engines, then FWD is fine. I could care less about a V6 powered 300 or Charger.

Have you even driven one of those two cars? The 6 has very good power in the mid range and sounds very nice.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Assuming this is MY 2010.

The 300 was the first to come out....first month of sales was 4/04. Assuming the MY 2010 vehicle comes out in around the same time in '09. Its a five year model cycle.

The Charger's first month of sales were May '05. A 4 year model cycle (if released in the same time frame as stated earlier)

4 and 5 year model cycles are standard. Sure the MCE was mostly interior based, but granted....you guys act like the LX has been out for decades (harumph).

Also, since they are speaking of different greenhouses and completely styling...."refresh" or "face lift" is a bit of a misnomer. This is the "next gen" 300 and will be on a modified LX platform named "LY". No different then the next gen Taurus being on a modified version of its current platform in MY '10.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Assuming this is MY 2010.

The 300 was the first to come out....first month of sales was 4/04. Assuming the MY 2010 vehicle comes out in around the same time in '09. Its a five year model cycle.

4 and 5 year model cycles are standard. Sure the MCE was mostly interior based, but granted....you guys act like the LX has been out for decades (harumph).

Thats the problem your assuming its MY2010....

And thats the other problem, the cars styling isn't aging that well

Everything I've heard from the inside has pointed to MY '10. BUT, things at Chrysler change daily as of late. The article surprised me, because as of this week, I've been hearing '10. I'm not going to pretend that any plans at Chrysler are set in stone on much anything as of late.

Even so, a MY '11 is a 5 and 6 year model cycle. I believe Honda indicated they are on 5 year cycles now. So, I don't believe they are "going to give the Panthers a run for their money in staleness".

Even with fleet sales down, the LX's combined sales have been comparable with sales for the past 3 years.

Edited by Intrepidatious

In EU, the wagon comes with the Chrysler front end, which they should have offered here, for the non-mullet crowd. Saw an EU with the Bentley grill cloth on an EU tuner site. Very nice wagon.

funny thing you said that cause down here, and we do have rednecks, the Magnum if only being held up in sales by the ghetto community same with the charger, they are almost always some ghetto guy or woman driving it

In EU, the wagon comes with the Chrysler front end, which they should have offered here, for the non-mullet crowd. Saw an EU with the Bentley grill cloth on an EU tuner site. Very nice wagon.

One of my friends saw the Audi R8 commercial during the Super Bowl and said oh did you see that commercial where that guy woke up to find that Chrysler 300 grill in his bed? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

And thats the other problem, the cars styling isn't aging that well

I think the car still looks current.

I remember when I first saw a picture of the upcoming 300 and thought that Chrysler had designed one of the ugliest cars I had ever seen. The grill looked gigantic and completely out of place.

Then I saw one in person in Las Vegas back in '04 and thought it was beautiful. I still think they are beautiful.