2009 Mazda 6

Blueblood

I have a nagging suspicion that the reason the car is so different is simple - it is a difference car under the skin ...

Igor

Not sure why you think that.

Here are my thoughts so far.

First, Atenza, Mazda6, and Fusion/Milan/MKZ are all CD3 and will stay that way until the CD3 and EUCD are unified in around 2011 or 2012. All you need to do is look at the description of the front and rear suspension to verify (in particular SLA front on CD3 vs. Mcpherson on EUCD).

Let's concentrate on wheelbase:

2008 Mazda 6: 105.3"

2008 Fusion: 107.4"

2009 Japan/Europe Atenza: 107.3"

2009 Mazda 6 (USA): ??

The "C/D" entries have been growing, and the Mazda 6 ended up on the smaller side, so the increase in wheelbase and rear seat package makes sense. It looks to me like Mazda took the longer front floor pan designed in the US for the triplets, and applied it to the Atenza produced in Japan. And probably developed some other platform mods which will likely get passed back to the freshened triplets.

I really don't think Mazda will stretch the US version any longer. Turning circle is already wide on the triplets, and it could become cumbersome with a further stretch. And, even though the body panels are stamped in different locations, the development costs would increase.

I think when Mazda has been bragging about how the US version will be unique, they are exagerating the situation and merely taking advantage of the fact that they can develop minor unique surfacing and lenses because the parts are sourced from the US rather than Japan.

So will the new Mazda ride on an identical Fusion platform, or is it leapfrogging ahead with a a different one?

See my post above. Still CD3, but might have some other revisions which would be typical of a platform mid cycle. The Fusion is basically just a stretch of the first gen Mazda 6 with a new body. The AWD floorpan was developed from the Mazdaspeed 6. The new Atenza grew a bit. Mazda had the Fusion design available to them; whether they adopted it totally or developed it themselves is TBD, but a stretch is not a huge deal as it occurs in the middle of the vehicle. If they made other mods in the Atenza that changed underbody stampings, those changes would likely be passed to the Mazda 6 for the US and also made available for the Hermosillo triplets if Ford chooses to adopt them.

There are certain areas of the car that are critical to maintain to keep development costs in check. Even though the metal is stamped in three different locations (Hofu, Hermosillo, Flat Rock), the underbody structure is an area that you want as common as possible. Also, there can be changes in the exterior sheetmetal between the European/Japanese Atenza and the US Mazda 6 without incurring huge costs. But...if Mazda were to change things like wheelbase, or door openings and seals, development costs go up. One thing to look at would be a side view of the doors to see how similar they are.

Go to the bathroom. See that thing staring back from the mirror?? You just found the real troll!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

Wow, you can't even be an original troll. You pretty much stole that comment from one of my replies to you:

Well, glad at least you found that funny.............. :boring:

And you didn't find it funny because it's TRUE!

Of course, if you want a really, really funny joke, take a look in the mirror! :hysterical::hysterical:

Wow, you can't even be an original troll. You pretty much stole that comment from one of my replies to you:

And you didn't find it funny because it's TRUE!

Of course, if you want a really, really funny joke, take a look in the mirror! :hysterical::hysterical:

I can always count on the village idiot Servo to jump in where he is not needed. Show me your copyright on the well used combination of words indicating ones reflection from a mirror and i will send you $50.

Yeah, just like i thought....................no copyright!!

I can always count on the village idiot Servo to jump in where he is not needed. Show me your copyright on the well used combination of words indicating ones reflection from a mirror and i will send you $50.

Yeah, just like i thought....................no copyright!!

I can always count on you to come back with moronic bullshit like this. :boring:

I really don't think Mazda will stretch the US version any longer. Turning circle is already wide on the triplets, and it could become cumbersome with a further stretch. And, even though the body panels are stamped in different locations, the development costs would increase.

Mazda fixed the turning radius with the MS6, surely that will be passed onto the new Mazda6 and to the triplets. The AWD MS6 has a turning radius of 36.8 ft verus the 39 in the 2003-2008 Mazda6. Those spyshots are at weird angles, I hope more pictures will surface.

• 1 month later...