Ford February 2008 Sales

igor

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not when it keeps out vehicles that get substantially higher mileage than their gas counterparts.

expect gas to become everybit as effiicient whilst costing less to maintain Dr Doom....rather have a car ON the road with a few less miles per gallon than one constantly in the shop....which VW is NOTORIOUS for.....but hey, its slow, stinky, FWD....all traits you LOVE so much

expect gas to become everybit as effiicient whilst costing less to maintain Dr Doom....rather have a car ON the road with a few less miles per gallon than one constantly in the shop....which VW is NOTORIOUS for.....but hey, its slow, stinky, FWD....all traits you LOVE so much

Nothing is stopping any other manufacturer from making a diesel.

And I have heard nothing good about VW diesels. Gas engines not so good.

And a diesel Golf saved the driver almost $300.00 per year in fuel costs over the same car with a gas engine (2006 model year)

I just cannot understand this misdirected dislike of diesels. They are a FAR better option than some silly hybrid, and diesel IS A BY-PRODUCT of refining gasoline.

Nothing is stopping any other manufacturer from making a diesel.

And I have heard nothing good about VW diesels. Gas engines not so good.

And a diesel Golf saved the driver almost $300.00 per year in fuel costs over the same car with a gas engine (2006 model year)

I just cannot understand this misdirected dislike of diesels. They are a FAR better option than some silly hybrid, and diesel IS A BY-PRODUCT of refining gasoline.

cost of engine....maybe 2500? ( an honest guess ) $300 per year = 8.3 years to retreive cost of engine, usual length of vehicular ownership 3-4 yrs, plus oil changes on diesels, filters and basic maintenence are all SUBSTANTIALLY higher ....in the meantime gas engines are getting technology to GREATLY improve their mileage to even cut the $300 as stated to less.....I think the whole point her is basically that...what is the point?.....I don't dislike diesels, hell I'd embrace them, but their best usage is in trucks....NOT sedans, as for hybrids...same point of veiw.....I question their validity in certain applications....and PS, nothing IS stopping any other manufacturers...explains all the diesel cars actually available and NOT pipe dreams

Edited by Deanh

cost of engine....maybe 2500? ( an honest guess ) $300 per year = 8.3 years to retreive cost of engine, usual length of vehicular ownership 3-4 yrs, plus oil changes on diesels, filters and basic maintenence are all SUBSTANTIALLY higher ....in the meantime gas engines are getting technology to GREATLY improve their mileage to even cut the $300 as stated to less.....I think the whole point her is basically that...what is the point?.....I don't dislike diesels, hell I'd embrace them, but their best usage is in trucks....NOT sedans, as for hybrids...same point of veiw.....I question their validity in certain applications....

retard.gif

The cost of the 3.0 diesel in the Jeep GC is ~$1,600.

Get used to it. If Pelosi has her way, all vehicles will fit that description.

don't think one person has THAT power....personally I just think the politicians have set unattainable parameters and will be forced to back off a little....but by inflating said numbers sure has lit a fire under the manufacturers seats....

Some people take everything on the net as gospel. the $35K figure was a ballpark GUESS on my part completely out of the blue. I dont see it as being that far out of line seeing as you can go to VWs site and price a Jetta to just under $32K without much effort as all. Sure, it starts at under $20K but options are easy to take things out of line.

Some people take everything on the net as gospel. the $35K figure was a ballpark GUESS on my part completely out of the blue. I dont see it as being that far out of line seeing as you can go to VWs site and price a Jetta to just under $32K without much effort as all. Sure, it starts at under $20K but options are easy to take things out of line.

I don't think you will be far off at all.....

retard.gif

The cost of the 3.0 diesel in the Jeep GC is ~$1,600.

AND selling like proverbial hotcakes..

Before we ignore reality once again around here let's just keep in mind that the only way to get the 3.0 diesel in the Grand Cherokee is to buy a "Grand Cherokee Limited" model which has a base price of $36,695. (2WD) without adding the diesel option or any other options. Obviously you just aren't going to sell a lot of them in that price range. I would wager the average diesel GC is easily in the 40 to 43 grand price range and even at $3.00 a gallon it would take you a long time to make up the difference in price from a $30,000 to $33,000 Grand Cherokee.

If the 3.0 diesel was offered as a $1600 option on an X model wrangler that bases at $20,000 you can bet they would be selling like hotcakes and if you don't believe that pay visit to just about any Jeep forum and find out.

Before we ignore reality once again around here let's just keep in mind that the only way to get the 3.0 diesel in the Grand Cherokee is to buy a "Grand Cherokee Limited" model which has a base price of $36,695. (2WD) without adding the diesel option or any other options. Obviously you just aren't going to sell a lot of them in that price range. I would wager the average diesel GC is easily in the 40 to 43 grand price range and even at $3.00 a gallon it would take you a long time to make up the difference in price from a $30,000 to $33,000 Grand Cherokee.

If the 3.0 diesel was offered as a $1600 option on an X model wrangler that bases at $20,000 you can bet they would be selling like hotcakes and if you don't believe that pay visit to just about any Jeep forum and find out.

so just plain BAD marketing strategy.....so what is the cost of a base Cherokee?....bringing the Wrangler into the mix is WAY off course...same as if we had the Escape hybrids powertrain in the taurus Focus....it too may then sell like hotcakes....point is the engine is model specific....

so just plain BAD marketing strategy.....so what is the cost of a base Cherokee?....bringing the Wrangler into the mix is WAY off course...same as if we had the Escape hybrids powertrain in the taurus Focus....it too may then sell like hotcakes....point is the engine is model specific....

It's not model specific. The 3.0 was offered in the Liberty for a few years as well, although again you had to buy the premium package. It did not however meet emissions requirements and Chrysler did not want to invest the cost of making it compliant.

It's not model specific. The 3.0 was offered in the Liberty for a few years as well, although again you had to buy the premium package. It did not however meet emissions requirements and Chrysler did not want to invest the cost of making it compliant.

It was a 2.8 l in the Liberty.

they didn't sell well either...even AT the lower MSRP...must admit it was an enticing package though....but i do remember reading the tests and the mags even stated it wasn't worth the extra and mileage did NOT improve as mush as they thought...then again they were probably trying to impress the readers with their 0-60 times......and funny how it didn't pass emmisions in the Liberty but remains avail in the GC,,,theres my case for not just a bolt in on different chassis....( then i read its a 2.8 in the liberty...same engine different stroke? ) So....we have a 34mpg Escape @ 27k...or a 19mpg Liberty @30k?????guess the public spoke.....

Edited by Deanh

they didn't sell well either...even AT the lower MSRP...

Really?

Chrysler Group was the first automotive manufacturer in the United States to offer a mid-size, diesel-powered SUV, the 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8-liter CRD engine. Based on consumer response, the diesel-powered Jeep Liberty exceeded the company's expectations. More than 11,000 diesel-powered Jeep Liberty vehicles have been sold since production began. The Jeep Liberty diesel continues to be a strong seller, as consumers realize the benefits of diesel technology.

http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/diesel.html

As far as your comparison with the Escape goes let me just say :hysterical:.

You bring your 4WD gas burner escape and match it up against a 4WD diesel powered Liberty in an off road setting. Just be sure you make friends with the Jeep guy first so he can pull you out when you get stuck.

Edited by BlackHorse