fiesta in 2010

blazerdude20

i like the fiesta but i am worried that by the time it goes on sale here for 10' the competition will have just as nice b' segment cars.

why cant we have it here when europe gets it?

Excellent question !

If Mulally is going to push "world vehicles" he will have to launch them closer together.

But to answer your question, there are huge differences between the European version and the US. Emission and safety in general, but these are really very big differences. With all of the engineering for both vehicles being done in Europe, it is really a manpower issue.

1) the only new B-car coming before 2010 is the Fit

2) The reason for the delay is simple - the US model was added to the mix only 2 years ago. Ford Europe and Mazda had already been working on them for 2 years - giving them a 2 years head start. There is a lot of work needed under the sheet metal to ensure the car will do well in US, and if the EU spec does not do, parts have to be re-made for US market.

The final problem is assembly. Originally the US model was to be built in Brazil, then it was moved to China. There it could have been built on time - summer 2009, but Ford chickened out of having a China-assembled car on sale in US, so they will be upgrading the Cuatitlan plant in Mexico (builds F-series, and Ikon) for the new Fiesta- that adds another 6 months to the plan.

Overall, we are lookng at very early 2010 - so by this time in 2 years.

Igor

2) The reason for the delay is simple - the US model was added to the mix only 2 years ago...

Not completely true.

3 years ago, there was a plan to bring a B-car to the US at least 1 year earlier, 2009MY. It was canceled because the styling was so bad that they did not think it would sell. I'm glad they waited for the Verve !

Also 3 years ago gasoline was (occasionally) under $2 in parts of the US, so the need was not so urgent.

Never heard the China rumor ! That is wild ! I'm glad it never went to Brazil.

If Cuatitlan can build Fiestas as well as Hermosillo build Fusions, it will be a winner ! Besides, getting rid of the Ikon goes along with a "global" Fiesta.

oh, does sound like a toyota refresh.

all the pics i've seen of the fiesta have power windows and push button start. does anyone know if those are going to be standard items?

there is a small chance they will, but it is very unlikely. The B-segment in EU does reach very high ($19k) equipment levels with HID headlamps, navigation, etc, but in its base it is the cheap family car - so the base equipment is usually quite low. This is contrasting with the recent small SUV's in Europe - they usually begin with a very nice standard equipment, as they are aimed at those with more disposable income looking for more than basic transportation.

US will almost likely get a base model with manual windows and key-in start, and most likely NOT get the $19k equipment level shown on the show cars. The market for such a high equipment level in US seems minuscule is existent at all.

Igor

Edited by igor

there is a small chance they will, but it is very unlikely. The B-segment in EU does reach very high ($19k) equipment levels with HID headlamps, navigation, etc, but in its base it is the cheap family car - so the base equipment is usually quite low. This is contrasting with the recent small SUV's in Europe - they usually begin with a very nice standard equipment, as they are aimed at those with more disposable income looking for more than basic transportation.

US will almost likely get a base model with manual windows and key-in start, and most likely NOT get the $19k equipment level shown on the show cars. The market for such a high equipment level in US seems minuscule is existent at all.

Igor

Igor, any clue what engines will be offered and will there be a small Diesel in the fiesta?

• 1 month later...
Is the Aveo a B car or does that compete with Focus?

Its a B-segment (sub-compact) car, the Chevy Aveo competes with cars like the Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio and Honda Fit.

Expect an all-new Aveo in about 2 years.

The Chevy equivalent of the Ford Focus is the Cobalt(North America) and Optra/Lacetti(in most global markets)

The Cobalt and Optra/Lacetti will be replaced by one global Chevy model based on the updated GM Delta platform.

Edited by AM2

...There is a lot of work needed under the sheet metal to ensure the car will do well in US...

There is a huge amount of work needed under the sheet metal to ensure the car meets all US regulations !

Now a days, meeting the regs is not enough. You need to get good ratings on all IIHS tests as well.

BTW for those interested - the Ikon production has ended - they have not produced ANY Ikons in Mexico for over a month ...

Interesting !

It sounds like they are going to gut the entire plant to the walls and do a first class refit. This should result in a first class vehicle.

I wonder if it will be rebuilt for flexible manufacturing ?

There is a huge amount of work needed under the sheet metal to ensure the car meets all US regulations !

Now a days, meeting the regs is not enough. You need to get good ratings on all IIHS tests as well.

I guess development of the USDM Fiesta started much later than the euro/global version.

In Honda's case even if the new USDM Fit was redesigned with a longer nose, it was previewed just a few months after the debut of the new JDM version. I guess thats what happens when you develop them side by side.

Exterior: Based on the 2 Verve sedan cocnepts that preview the Fiesta sedans, the US version will have a bigger upper grill and a restyled bumper.

Verve sedan concept

carscoopfordvervesedan1xs4.jpg

..front of the euro/global Fiesta

fordfiesta2008800x600wavh6.jpg

Verve sedan concept(US)

fordvervesedanconcept20bz1.jpg

Edited by AM2

Interesting !

It sounds like they are going to gut the entire plant to the walls and do a first class refit. This should result in a first class vehicle.

I wonder if it will be rebuilt for flexible manufacturing ?

I would hope they invest in some flex tech for it. Perhaps if the refreshed CD3's sell a little better, it would be a good alternative location to build some overflow if needed.

img0267eq8.jpg

Is that a reverse-sensing system I see on there? Does a car that small really need it??

I guess it depends what country the car is sold in, for example in some asian countries backup sensors for small cars are available, usefull for tight parking spaces and small garages.

I'm just not sure about Luxembourg, haven't been there so i'm not familiar with the place.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe they are not going to build this in the U. S. . After all the concessions they received from the union. If Honda and Toyota can build cars in america, why can't Ford .

The Fusion should be made at one of the closed US plants. They need another plant. If they just advertised, they could sell a hell of a lot of them.

Chrysler is just as bad, with their new Journey.