2008 Focus an "out of the park" hit

twintornados

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Focus will probably have to move a bit higher in context and price to make room for the Fiesta...Corolla and Civic have done it, some of those models hit $20K easily. What they lack is an engine with some guts though...it would be interesting to see even a LT version of the 2.5L, even the 197HP version of it would be sufficient...

No, Ovaltine is spot on:

* Chevy Cobalt: Down 23.8%

* Dodge Caliber: Up 10%

* Ford Focus: Up 24%

* Honda Civic: Up 18.3%

* Honda Fit: Up 73.8%

* Hyundai Elantra: Up 11.1%

* Kia Spectra: Up 41.3%

* Mitsubishi Lancer: Up 32.7%

* Nissan Sentra: Up 21.4%

* Nissan Versa: Up 34.2%

* Toyota Corolla: Down 21.3%

* Toyota Yaris: Up 83.2%

* VW Jetta: Up 19.7%

Give it a rest people. It's not because of the redesign.

Ford's SHARE of the C segment has also increased with those sales. Explain that one away, negatard.

Ford's SHARE of the C segment has also increased with those sales. Explain that one away, negatard.

Reposting, reordering, and annotating the list you quoted from that idiot I've blocked:

* Kia Spectra: Up 41.3% - Up from a much smaller base; a respectible 8000 units, up from 5600 last year, but still nothing compared to the 21k for the focus; significantly redesigned

* Mitsubishi Lancer: Up 32.7% - Up from a much smaller base, only sold 2500 units! It was also significantly redesigned

* Nissan Sentra: Up 21.4% - still in its first year after a significant redesign

* Chevy Cobalt: Down 23.8% - This is where the Focus would be if they hadn't redesigned it

Not Compacts -- all were barely ramping up a year ago

Edited by Noah Harbinger

What is there to explain Nick? The Focus has always been a fleet queen and now fleets are downsizing too.

Here, one of the many examples of that:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ohio-to-downsi...icle-fleet.html

Feel free to go on record and say you fully believe Ford sliced fleet sales by 50% or more, or keep flip flopping further. I love how you went from "bububu look at Corolla's sales" to "bububu it's not an effect of the economy/gas prices" to "bububu only the Focus posted significant % gains" to "bububu what matters is Ford's share cry.gif"

Edit: LOL @ Noah's damage control... everything to keep Ford's hoax alive I guess lol_2.gif

Edited by pcsario

What is there to explain Nick? The Focus has always been a fleet queen and now fleets are downsizing too.

Here, one of the many examples of that:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ohio-to-downsi...icle-fleet.html

Feel free to go on record and say you fully believe Ford sliced fleet sales by 50% or more, or keep flip flopping further. I love how you went from "bububu look at Corolla's sales" to "bububu only the Focus posted a big % gain" to "bububu what matters is Ford's share cry.gif"

LOL @ Noah's damage control lol_2.gif

1. Neither you nor I know what Ford's current Focus fleet allocation is. Scratch that one off the list.

2. I never stated that ONLY the Focus has seen a big % gain.

3. Yes, market share certainly does matter. Especially in a declining overall auto market.

If the Focus is such a colossal failure, WHY on earth would it be INCREASING market share? (According to Ford's latest press releases, its retail share has increased also -- one more reason to discount your blabbering about fleet sales.)

You fail. At least you do it in style though.

I don't see why the European Focus ST couldn't be imported as a low volume car. They could even call it SVT if they still want to revive the SVT name. If Volvo can sell a C30 for $22,950, I don't see why a non-luxury C30 (Focus ST) couldn't be here for $19,950 or so (right below Mustang and 3-5k above the top US Focus).

It might cause a bit of a riot in Europe as the Focus ST costs $41,148, gotta say you could buy a decent Mustang for the price of that boring bland shit.

1. Neither you nor I know what Ford's current Focus fleet allocation is. Scratch that one off the list.

We have all the data from all but this years numbers. The pattern is clear. Return that one to the list or openly claim you fully believe Ford sliced Focus fleet sales by more than 50%.

2. I never stated that ONLY the Focus has seen a big % gain.

That was certainly the glossy picture you and the other :cheerleader: wanted to paint.

"OMG CIVIC'S SALES WERE UP ONLY 18% LOLOLOL TAEK TAHT HONDA!!111!"

"OMG COROLLA'S SALES WERE DOWN HAHAHAHAH SO MUCH FOR HELP FROM THE ECONOMY & GAS PRICES!!11!!11"

retail share has increased also -- one more reason to discount your blabbering about fleet sales

So sales were up, and because of that, marketshare went up? Are you kidding me? And Ford has a trademark on that formula, because Ford praised the performance of a Ford product in a Ford press release? Really? So, turns out only the Cobalt and Corolla posted losses, yet only Ford posted retail and marketshare gains? lol_2.gif You people never fail to crack me up.

Edited by pcsario

Based on my very rough analysis that I've made through last year's fleet stats and this year's sales call, I estimate that the Focus' fleet sales are down 10% overall from 10k to 9k units. All of that loss (and more) was in rental. Focus had good gov/corporate (ie - good fleet) months in Jan and Feb if the sales call were accurate. I have no idea what the absolute breakout is, though.

If my above assumptions are correct, the Focus sold more units at retail this year than they did in TOTAL last year. I'd say that's pretty successful.

If you look at the sales increases in Q1, you have to remember that although Focus is up 24%, their total RETAIL sales are up 36%. So we know that fleet, regardless of what you think, is down. On the retail side, Focus is gaining a lot of marketshare. That seems to suggest that the redesign (no matter how incomplete it might be) has been moderately - or hugely, if you are a Ford marketing guru - successful.

Fact of the matter is pretty much everyone's growing.

Hardly proves there's somehow a Focus phenomenon out there.

Launching the wrong decision at the right time doesn't validate Ford's fuckups.

Fact of the matter is pretty much everyone's growing.

Hardly proves there's somehow a Focus phenomenon out there.

If it's 1) gaining market share, 2) increasing retail sales, 3) selling at higher transaction prices - how the heck can it be considered a fuckup on any level?

We get it. YOU don't like it. Fortunately for Ford, you aren't representative of the entire C segment. Heck, I don't really like it either, but that doesn't change the fact that it's doing surprisingly well in the marketplace.

Same thing could be said about the Sentra.

Fact of the matter is there's not a success story here, just a segment getting a boost from the economy and gas prices.

Multiple success stories? Sure, but there's certainly not this reported Focus frenzy out there - almost everyone's growing.

Edited by pcsario

Focus is not the only one doing well - BUT - its GAINING RETAIL MARKET SHARE - means that it is beating its competition in the race.

PC - there is no way around it - market share is market share - but you are right on one count - it is hard to have declining sales in this segment (but Toyota and GM somehow managed). The Focus just outsold the Cobalt and is within reach of the Corolla - whether the Corolla's sales are jsut a lull or a trend remains to be seen. So we have a Ford in the Top 3 (and within reach of #2 spot) in one of the 2 hottest segments in the industry and gaining footing ... there really is no way in which this can be spun in a negative news - Focus is doing very well in its segment.

Igor

Edited by igor

:hysterical:

Not sure what you mean by a wrong decision, because Ford product seems to be doing fine in the market. If you're referring to the Focus, it seems to have been the right decision. Sure, there have been fuckups, but any attempts to validate exist only within your skull. That's why there's a new Taurus coming, to replace what PD got wrong. Mistakes were made, and acknowledged and re-designed. Another example is the up-grade of the Focus to a 6-speed for 2K9.

Dwell in the past. Stay there. Meanwhile, Ford product gets better. :finger:

:hysterical:

Not sure what you mean by a wrong decision, because Ford product seems to be doing fine in the market. If you're referring to the Focus, it seems to have been the right decision. Sure, there have been fuckups, but any attempts to validate exist only within your skull. That's why there's a new Taurus coming, to replace what PD got wrong. Mistakes were made, and acknowledged and re-designed. Another example is the up-grade of the Focus to a 6-speed for 2K9.

Dwell in the past. Stay there. Meanwhile, Ford product gets better. :finger:

Focus gets a 6-speed ? or are you talking about the escape?

6speed in the Focus would be a coup ... man imagine that .. OK I am done dreaming.

Igor

"OMG CIVIC'S SALES WERE UP ONLY 18% LOLOLOL TAEK TAHT HONDA!!111!"

"OMG COROLLA'S SALES WERE DOWN HAHAHAHAH SO MUCH FOR HELP FROM THE ECONOMY & GAS PRICES!!11!!11"

If I recall correctly, BOTH those models outsold the Fukkas last month...hmm...

Maybe the lack of standard ABS is keeping it down?