Random Farley comment

NickF1011

From Detroit News:

Show us your Ford tattoo

Speaking to reporters in Las Vegas recently, Ford Motor Co.'s chief marketing officer, Jim Farley, said he can take Ford's message to the masses in a way he never could at Toyota, his former employer. "Nobody has a Toyota tattoo," he said.

One of the journalists asked Farley if he had a Ford one.

"If I did," he said, "it would be some place I couldn't show you."

Talk about true Blue!

------------------------

I think this demonstrates (and Farley realizes) that owners of American cars are typically more passionate about their vehicles. As he said, nobody has a Toyota tattoo. None of them own Toyota t-shirts, or Toyota coffee mugs either. Nobody CARES about their Toyotas. They look at them the same way they look at their refrigerator. As long as it works, it's doing its job.

As a Mustang owner, I have all sorts of other Mustang and Ford-related stuff. Mustang shop stools. Numerous Mustang posters. A Cobra keychain. A Ford blue oval wall clock. Ford t-shirts.

Something tells me the Sienna owner next door doesn't have any minivan memorabilia laying around the house.

This is a yet another good indication that Farlet "gets it" when it comes to the differences between Detroit and Tokyo.

I sort of agree, but on the other hand, there are a LOT of Toyota fanboys out there. Lots of Supra guys, lots of Celica guys.

Your comment about the Sienna might be true, but how many people have Windstar or Freestar t-shirts? (I think we'd all rather forget about those vans and their often problematic life.) You're comparing apples to oranges my friend.

I sort of agree, but on the other hand, there are a LOT of Toyota fanboys out there. Lots of Supra guys, lots of Celica guys.

I think the fact that both of those cars are long since discontinued speaks volumes about the size of that group. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "none". Heck, there are still SOME people out there who are diehard Packard fans.

Ha.. i was at the Knotts Berry Farm Ford show today and a friend showed me his new Tattoo of the 60s Ford Crest and shield.

I have my Ford collection of stuff as well. I have some sets of 60s Motorcraft oil cans and things like that. I like finding old parts boxes from back in the day just for display. Things like a box for a rear lamp lense from a 57 Ford. Posters and model cars come with it too. I have quite a few 1/64th model Cougars. its a passion i guess. but theres always the exception (thanks google)-

toyota_4-runner_tattoo_post_5-31-95.jpg

Of course... the story behind that is he got hit by a 4Runner with an inattentive driver and survived

http://www.tbihome.org/stories/ray_d2.htm

Your comment about the Sienna might be true, but how many people have Windstar or Freestar t-shirts? (I think we'd all rather forget about those vans and their often problematic life.) You're comparing apples to oranges my friend.

I agree to a point. The guy who drives a Ford Windstar, Freestar or Taurus can still see a Mustang, Shelby or classic Ford and make the connection of being in the Ford family. Toyota doesn't have the history of iconic cars. I would bet that few Camry owners could identify a Supra.

Ford needs to build on the brand history. They have done so in past ads like the "Pride" ad last year and the Mustang campaigns like the "Soldier" ad with the '69 Mach 1. There was a Focus ad a couple of years ago that featured a '63 Falcon convertible.

I agree to a point. The guy who drives a Ford Windstar, Freestar or Taurus can still see a Mustang, Shelby or classic Ford and make the connection of being in the Ford family. Toyota doesn't have the history of iconic cars. I would bet that few Camry owners could identify a Supra.

Ford needs to build on the brand history. They have done so in past ads like the "Pride" ad last year and the Mustang campaigns like the "Soldier" ad with the '69 Mach 1. There was a Focus ad a couple of years ago that featured a '63 Falcon convertible.

Agreed. On the other hand, some people, unfortunately like the Mustang yet fail to realize it is a Ford. Or, when they find out it is a Ford, they dislike it. I have a friend like this. She loved the Mustang until I told her it was a Ford. She honestly didn't know - she thought it was a Chevy!

Agreed. On the other hand, some people, unfortunately like the Mustang yet fail to realize it is a Ford. Or, when they find out it is a Ford, they dislike it. I have a friend like this. She loved the Mustang until I told her it was a Ford. She honestly didn't know - she thought it was a Chevy!

umm.......

WTF

Geez! Where's Darwin when you need him....

Heck, a lot of Camry owners can't even identify their own car in a parking lot.

That reminds me of my college years. In 1979, I started at the University of South Florida. We had a lot of young women from Long Island N.Y and New Jersey who drove white Pontiac Firebirds with blue stripes over the roof and down the sides. There were 6 or 7 of the identical cars in the dorm patking lot. It was always fun watching them put the key in the wrong door (for those of you who are too young to remember, we once had to unlock our cars with a key).

True, but outside of the ricers, not too many. There are way more mustang people, and not too mention the myriads of Ford Truckers.

Wow. Did you slap her upside the head when you found this out? I've read many places that the Mustang is the most recognizable vehicle in the world. How the hell can you NOT know it's a Ford unless you live under a rock?

Wow. Did you slap her upside the head when you found this out? I've read many places that the Mustang is the most recognizable vehicle in the world. How the hell can you NOT know it's a Ford unless you live under a rock?

Some people are in denial, too. They like the car but they don't like it because it is a Ford. I had a Mustang t-shirt on at school one time and someone told me "That would be a cool shirt if there wasn't a Ford symbol on it to ruin it." I just shook my head. *shrugs* There are a lot of Chevy fans here in Wisconsin. I'm not sure why, but that's just how it is. (It MIGHT be because we had a Janesville GM plant though, I'm not sure ... now that plant has been closed I believe.) It's the same thing when I go to truck pulls. Most of the people in the stands boo when Fords pull up, but they cheer for Chevys. The announcer they have every year is a Chevy boy, too.

The one year, all the Fords totally STOMPED the Chevys in the pull. He called them F-series instead of what they really were, and he read their finishing order really fast. Whenever he came to a Chevy, he said something like "CHEVROLET SIIIIIIILVERADO WITH A DURAMAX DIESEL IS READY TO MAKE ITS PULL! LET'S HEAR IT FROM THE FANS!" He does the same thing every year too. The Fords usually waste the Chevys but he just hates them for some reason. Or maybe he's jealous.

I will have to say, it seems like the mid 1990s Ford's are always snapping their driveshafts in these pulls for some reason .. it never happens to the 1997s or newer, but the early to mid 90s ones almost always break them for some reason.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Some people are in denial, too. They like the car but they don't like it because it is a Ford. I had a Mustang t-shirt on at school one time and someone told me "That would be a cool shirt if there wasn't a Ford symbol on it to ruin it." I just shook my head. *shrugs* There are a lot of Chevy fans here in Wisconsin. I'm not sure why, but that's just how it is. (It MIGHT be because we had a Janesville GM plant though, I'm not sure ... now that plant has been closed I believe.) It's the same thing when I go to truck pulls. Most of the people in the stands boo when Fords pull up, but they cheer for Chevys. The announcer they have every year is a Chevy boy, too.

The one year, all the Fords totally STOMPED the Chevys in the pull. He called them F-series instead of what they really were, and he read their finishing order really fast. Whenever he came to a Chevy, he said something like "CHEVROLET SIIIIIIILVERADO WITH A DURAMAX DIESEL IS READY TO MAKE ITS PULL! LET'S HEAR IT FROM THE FANS!" He does the same thing every year too. The Fords usually waste the Chevys but he just hates them for some reason. Or maybe he's jealous.

I will have to say, it seems like the mid 1990s Ford's are always snapping their driveshafts in these pulls for some reason .. it never happens to the 1997s or newer, but the early to mid 90s ones almost always break them for some reason.

LOL it is very simple....move away

i like some chevy vehicles but i say some mainly because of their arrogant fans

Edited by Ford-150

I'll share a little story with you. I had just finished washing the Mustang and had it sitting in the drive way. 2 guys who were walking door-to-door rang the bell. They were doing some kind of door-to-door gospel thing. The conversation goes like this:

Religious guy "Nice Stang."

Me "thanks."

Religious guy "Yea, 67...first year for the big blocks right?"

Me. "Yea, you got it."

So I thought this dude is OK after all...BUT:

Religious guy "Is it stock?"

Me "Not anymore, its got some goodies under the hood."

Religious guy "Why did you hop it up?? Those 350s pull out real hard."

I shook my head in disbelief and went back in the house.

Was she blond by chance. Just wondering.

Believe it or not, there is a huge group of young people who,

A. Have never driven or even ridden in a Ford, as their parents have been Asian car fans since they woke up in a daze in the mid/late 80's from thier desperate attempt to "do" the hippy thing, only to realize they had a precious little accident and needed the cheapest sedan possible(that would have been that first gen Camry or Accord that established the "legend" of durability). I have spoken to and hired and fired this demographic, and this is the LEAST of their failings as a generation.

B. So completly unaware of the world that they not only speak English(I cannot believe how many of these kids cannot construct a sentence, let alone use punctuation!), they have never been in a full on V8 pony car run through at least two gears. I know from experience that if I can get them lined up without a red light, which is the ricer saving grace(and frankly, its illegal anyway), they have no real comprehension of a pull to the top of a 4 gear run at 7000+ of an SVT Cobra, let alone digging the brakes, a proper downshift and a nice smooth offramp/onramp or two in a fifteen+ minute pure drive. If they have been in a V8, it was in a 5000lb truck which spun its inside rear tire around a corner, and which they compare to a 15 y/o front driver that their buddies brother got cheap from his parents and its inside front tire lifted around a corner under throttle, and both those "exhibitions" are over in about 4 seconds, including the story they type to their "homey"'s.

They really have no experience in the pony way of life. Not that that alone is a crime, but the idea of marketing to this group by showing McQueen as Lt. Frank is a little silly isn't it?

And frankly, I at times question if we really want(as opposed to need) them, as they are so self centered and destructive that they might not be ideal long term customers...except for perhaps a trendy trucklet/IUV(imaginary utility vehicle) to support their own pending precious OOPS, courtesy of the little hottie they met through facebook and had facedown at a rave while amped on E?

Tough call Mr Farley, do you continue to market to the aging boomers who are reliving somebody elses imaginary past glory(that $helby thing), or a group that has no understanding of why the heritage of Ford is important?

Or as you are stuck with now, some twilight zone in between?

Yea, I know that this is not a total representation of the little sh%ts, but I have to tell you that it does seem to represent a large demo.

I would suggest that some kind of campaign to reach out to that incoming counterpoint of all of these soldiers returning from rather unpleasant parts of the world might make more sense, in the way that the kids coming back from the Asian sphere wanted the biggest and best American V8 rumble that all that back pay could buy, which led to the brand loyalty they still display 35+ years down the road. At least they know how to get up for work in the morning...which means they might actually intend to pay for it...

Edited by JETSOLVER

Believe it or not, there is a huge group of young people who,

A. Have never driven or even ridden in a Ford, as their parents have been Asian car fans since they woke up in a daze in the mid/late 80's from thier desperate attempt to "do" the hippy thing, only to realize they had a precious little accident and needed the cheapest sedan possible(that would have been that first gen Camry or Accord that established the "legend" of durability). I have spoken to and hired and fired this demographic, and this is the LEAST of their failings as a generation.

B. So completly unaware of the world that they not only speak English(I cannot believe how many of these kids cannot construct a sentence, let alone use punctuation!), they have never been in a full on V8 pony car run through at least two gears. I know from experience that if I can get them lined up without a red light, which is the ricer saving grace(and frankly, its illegal anyway), they have no real comprehension of a pull to the top of a 4 gear run at 7000+ of an SVT Cobra, let alone digging the brakes, a proper downshift and a nice smooth offramp/onramp or two in a fifteen+ minute pure drive. If they have been in a V8, it was in a 5000lb truck which spun its inside rear tire around a corner, and which they compare to a 15 y/o front driver that their buddies brother got cheap from his parents and its inside front tire lifted around a corner under throttle, and both those "exhibitions" are over in about 4 seconds, including the story they type to their "homey"'s.

They really have no experience in the pony way of life. Not that that alone is a crime, but the idea of marketing to this group by showing McQueen as Lt. Frank is a little silly isn't it?

And frankly, I at times question if we really want(as opposed to need) them, as they are so self centered and destructive that they might not be ideal long term customers...except for perhaps a trendy trucklet/IUV(imaginary utility vehicle) to support their own pending precious OOPS, courtesy of the little hottie they met through facebook and had facedown at a rave while amped on E?

Tough call Mr Farley, do you continue to market to the aging boomers who are reliving somebody elses imaginary past glory(that $helby thing), or a group that has no understanding of why the heritage of Ford is important?

Or as you are stuck with now, some twilight zone in between?

Yea, I know that this is not a total representation of the little sh%ts, but I have to tell you that it does seem to represent a large demo.

I would suggest that some kind of campaign to reach out to that incoming counterpoint of all of these soldiers returning from rather unpleasant parts of the world might make more sense, in the way that the kids coming back from the Asian sphere wanted the biggest and best American V8 rumble that all that back pay could buy, which led to the brand loyalty they still display 35+ years down the road. At least they know how to get up for work in the morning...which means they might actually intend to pay for it...

:rockon: :beerchug:

WELL FREAKIN' PUT!!!!

Excellent post !!!!

While much of todays youth deserve as much angst as we can throw at them............... I really think we should have the right to walk up to their parents and smack them.

These kids were raised with parents who wanted babies.............. but forgot that babies become children. They were stuck in front of a TV, or a video game, most of their youth.............. so that mommy and daddy could have quality time watching sports, drinking/doing drugs, or spending many thousands of dollars that they did not have............. on massive piles of useless "stuff."

Mommies getting botox and planning her next pair of Monolos (or whatever the hell those hideously expensive shoes are called).............. to add to the 200 pairs that she already doesn't wear.................. and daddies watching TV, working, or trying to figure out any way to avoid his family.

Sorry to generalize, and I realize that there are many good parents out there, but this is just what I see................ and it has only gotten worse since my son started school. He was the only kid in his class that could read, before starting kindergarten. I have been working on penmenship with him............. sentence structure, and spelling. His teacher keeps telling me that she wished all of her parents actually cared enough to spend the time with their children............... and this makes me incredibly sad. I am all to familiar with how difficult it is to raise a child............. but just wish that other parents would at least try. Their kids deserve that much.

Sorry for the soap box. Kids and parents today are a pretty sore subject with me.

That said, small son could name wheels/tires, engine, carburator, brakes, shifter, seats, etc............. before he was three. LOL He currently points out every Mustang that he sees.