Jay Leno and Plug-In Escape

FordBuyer

Keep digging...:hysterical:

Yeah, let's set it straight...and read VERY SLOWLY...use your finger if you have to:

3500 pounds is MORE WEIGHT than 1000 pounds. Do you understand that?

I don't think I have ever seen someone contradict something themselves...in their VERY NEXT SENTENCE. :hysterical:

Jeep Liberty Diesel. 20MPG city and 30MPG on the highway...and the last gen could tow 5000 pounds (which is MORE than 3500 pounds...)

Yet another post full of nonsense. Again you have no concept of comprehension do you?

If you towed oh so much, then I'm sure you would realize that the 3500 lb trailer capacity doesn't really hold up the minute you put more passengers and junk in the vehicle that said trailer is attached to. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an SUV doesn't it?

Really with the Liberty Diesel bit? Are they still selling those? How does a Liberty compare to the Escape Hybrid FWD/AWD models? If I'm not mistaken I mentioned finding something with the same or better than a Hybrid Escape's fuel economy. 2008 FWD models achieve a combined 32MPG and AWD 28. The 2005-06 Diesel Liberty, 21 MPG combined. Unless you have numbers that dispute that, I fail to see how that is supposed to prove your point.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to see your fuding your numbers.... :finger:

According to Fueleconomy.gov

the Liberty Diesel gets

City

Combined

Hwy

and Escape Hybrid

City

Combined

Hwy

keep in mind that this using the new metrix that dropped most Hybrids MPG

I see what you did, previous gen Escape Hybrid correct?

What's even more amusing is the fact that Ford plans on revising the powerplant and the revised units will see even more of a boost in fuel economy.

:cry:

Do you really think that JAY LENO, with his hundreds of Dusenbergs and other priceless automobiles could give two shits about some hybrid Ford?

I'm design exotic vehicles exclusively and I'm genuinely excited about it; you stereotyping piece of shit :slap:

Edited by Versa-Tech

But I thought diesels weren't the answer, since diesel fuel is so much more than gasoline now...
This is a common misconception. I make my own biodiesel for about 80 cents a gallon. Once Biodiesel production ramps up to a global scale, you'll see those cost benefits as well.

This is a common misconception. I make my own biodiesel for about 80 cents a gallon. Once Biodiesel production ramps up to a global scale, you'll see those cost benefits as well.

Actually that was a jab at the poster who was being quoted. Looks like you are new around here, but I'm sure you will find out what he/she was poking fun at.

Yet another post full of nonsense. Again you have no concept of comprehension do you?

You should be hitting China by now...

If you towed oh so much, then I'm sure you would realize that the 3500 lb trailer capacity doesn't really hold up the minute you put more passengers and junk in the vehicle that said trailer is attached to. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an SUV doesn't it?

Yeah...I believe that is called the "Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight"...which in the case of the Escape is 7040 pounds.

Just give it a rest already. You were WRONG...how much more digging are you going to do before you just admit that your were wrong? Maybe you should call Ford and ask them why you think they have no idea how much their vehicles can tow?

Apparently, you don't have the first clue as to what "Maximum Towing Capacity" means...and it shows every time you post. :hysterical:

I'm design exotic vehicles exclusively and I'm genuinely excited about it; you stereotyping piece of shit :slap:

Wow...someone has their diaper in a bunch. :baby:

Gotta agree with P on this one. ..... design exotic vechiles... on an etch-a-sketch? They have those in H.S. now?

There are articles in Popular Mechanics of some of the other things Jay Leno is doing to conserve energy. His garage (I shed a tear everytime I see it on TV) is almost completely self sufficiant with wind and solar power. He is doing what he can so promoting things such as Hybrids and electric vehicles is not just something he is doing for NBC from what I see.

You should be hitting China by now...

Yeah...I believe that is called the "Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight"...which in the case of the Escape is 7040 pounds.

Just give it a rest already. You were WRONG...how much more digging are you going to do before you just admit that your were wrong? Maybe you should call Ford and ask them why you think they have no idea how much their vehicles can tow?

Apparently, you don't have the first clue as to what "Maximum Towing Capacity" means...and it shows every time you post. :hysterical:

Again with the reading comprehension.....

Copied from a brochure for the Escape:

* Maximum capacity shown is for properly equipped vehicle with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver. Weight

of additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo must be deducted from this weight. For additional

information, see your Ford Dealer. **With Class II Trailer Tow Prep Package.

Exactly the information that I was getting at, but because you were too busy foaming at the mouth and making un-witty remarks proving your ignorance yet again. Re-read my post and try again. I'll wait for your lame comment

Re-read my post and try again. I'll wait for your lame comment

OK:

ME:

No they're not. My 10 year-old waverunner is very close to the silly Escape Hybrids towing capacity. Can't even tow a 16' fishing boat...completely useless.

YOU:

You can't even tow that much with a friggin regular Escape

ME:

rolleyes2.gif

Yes you can...up to 3500 pounds. :idea:

YOU:

:cry::baby::cry::baby::cry::baby::cry::baby::cry::baby::cry::baby:

-----------------

A summary of the last three pages:

You can tow more than 1K with a regular Escape...up to 3500 pounds

MR thinks Ford has no idea how to rate their cars and trucks

MR was wrong time and time again

MR is in China

MR refuses to admit that he was wrong

-----------------

ME > you

:hysterical:

Edited by P71_CrownVic

-----------------

ME > you

:hysterical:

There was some thread a while ago that was a poll as to whether this guy should take a hike or not, and I think I voted just to ignore the guy. Can I change my vote now? It's painful to read, and yet somehow I can't look away, especially in a thread I was somewhat interested in to begin with. Seriously dude, give it up! Do you seriously feel accomplished at the end of the day when you start arguments and declare your superiority on a forum on the internet? All the other guy was saying was that even the regular escape doesn't have all that high a tow rating, implying that the hybrid escape does pretty well for itself. Okay so the diesel Jeep tows more, but it also uses more fuel, and frankly, doesn't use nearly as interesting technology.

I think that's a key point here, interesting technology that has high potential for doing a lot of good in the near future. Leno is a petrol head, he loves fast car with lots of power, but he's also a smart guy who recognizes that some things need to change. And here he is pointing out to his millions of viewers that Ford has got a really interesting proposal for a long term solution.

Long term, I also think that hybrids will do really well with tow ratings. Right now, the limited factor is that complicated and apparently weaker transmission they use. But at the heart of the powertrain, you still have a huge electric motor that's got heaps of torque at low rpms. If they make a dedicated work truck hybrid, I'm sure they'll find a way to beef up that transmission and give similar towing capacity to a good diesel powertrain.

There was some thread a while ago that was a poll as to whether this guy should take a hike or not, and I think I voted just to ignore the guy. Can I change my vote now? It's painful to read, and yet somehow I can't look away, especially in a thread I was somewhat interested in to begin with. Seriously dude, give it up! Do you seriously feel accomplished at the end of the day when you start arguments and declare your superiority on a forum on the internet? All the other guy was saying was that even the regular escape doesn't have all that high a tow rating, implying that the hybrid escape does pretty well for itself.

Well, then he should have simply said that.

Instead, he, in response to my posting that you can't tow a simple 16' fishing boat with the silly Escape hybrid, says that 'you can't tow that much with a regular Escape'. I proved him wrong, so then he went on to imply that Ford has no idea how to rate their cars and trucks for towing.

Or do you too live in some dream land where 1000 pounds is HEAVIER than 3500 pounds?

But I thought diesels weren't the answer, since diesel fuel is so much more than gasoline now...

I doubt diesels are the answer for the short term, which is why Ford has no plans to sell them here (other than in trucks) at least through 2012 or so. Beyond that, the market may be very different.

I respond to mlhm5 with regard to his schizophrenia:

As much as I love diesels, when the price of diesel is 35% higher than gas, there is no fuel savings between a diesel and a gasser.

Of course there are some who say as more diesels appear in the market, the refiners will have to change their mix, so the price will come down on diesel and go up on gasoline.

"It's official - Volkswagen is unveiling a hybrid to challenge the mighty Toyota Prius. And not just any hybrid, but a diesel-electric hybrid it says will deliver 69.9 mpg."

Whoa! With gas going to $4 a gallon, they cannot bring that car to the USA fast enough.

IMO he should make up his mind...

Well, then he should have simply said that.

Instead, he, in response to my posting that you can't tow a simple 16' fishing boat with the silly Escape hybrid, says that 'you can't tow that much with a regular Escape'. I proved him wrong, so then he went on to imply that Ford has no idea how to rate their cars and trucks for towing.

Or do you too live in some dream land where 1000 pounds is HEAVIER than 3500 pounds?

It was mentioned several times over. What makes the matter worse is how poorly you addressed it, further making yourself appear as the buffoon that you truly are. If he understood what I was getting at then I'm sure anyone with the capacity would have the ability to.

Simply put you have the mental capacity of a teenager, and it shows through the majority of postings around here.

You mention BS about the Diesel Liberty that gets no where near the fuel economy of an Escape Hybrid, not to mention the fact that it was only sold for 2 years.

You went out of your way to misquote and misunderstand my posting, implying that I thought the Escape could to no more than a hybrid. When in fact all I did was simply mention that the regular Escape doesn't tow all that much.

You posted nonsense about Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight, as if we were supposed to be dazzled by it. When in fact you totally missed that point as well. Simple: Loading up a vehicle full of people and equipment (which is what an SUV is typically used for) then attempting to tow the maximum trailer rating is a recipe for disaster.

I could go on. Your posts are extremely juvenile in nature, and the minute you are discredited we are given the following:

:baby::cry: :cheerleader:

Gotta agree with P on this one. ..... design exotic vechiles... on an etch-a-sketch? They have those in H.S. now?
Yes, I do overreact quite often. I'm just so damn tired of stereotypers coining exotic automotive enthusiasts as detached from the bread and butter market.

And yes, I am a transportation designer/ conceptual engineer. I specialize in one-off exotics and serve a diverse clientel. I use a variety of tools including good ol' pencil and paper, Microstation, Autodesk Inventor, Adobe CS, and Godzilla.

I originally started scribbling military technology concepts when I was 5 years old (not that any of them made any sense) and progressed to my first isometric automobile design (my interpretation of a Ferarri LM-prototype car) when I was 9. I became immersed in the beauty of both design and engineering and started reading books on aerodynamics, physics, and material science when I was 11... etc. etc. etc.

My understanding of both artistic design and engineering affords me the ability to develope my concepts on a solo basis. I have never received any formal training in either respect. I attribute most of my success to my unadulterated self-education and my persistence to emerge from the shadow of my lifetime role-model Leonardo Da Vinci. Go ahead, make fun of me. People have treated me like a second class citizen all my life, unwilling to believe in my constant obsessive drive towards the future of both technology and style.

Perhaps I am too bold.