April 2008 Sales: Compact Cars

I haven't done one of these posts in awhile due to time constraints, but seeing the 88% increase in Focus sales I was simply too curious to pass up the opportunity.

Focus - 23,850 (+43.5%) ...the 88% increase is retail, of course, while the 43.5% number is total sold including fleet.

Mazda3 - 9,234 (+14.8%) ...remember the C1 is too expensive to sell in the U.S.....

Cobalt - 18,636 (+25.1%)

G5 - 2,030 (+10.5%)

Astra - 909 (new)

Caliber - 8,825 (-5%)

Patriot - 6,348 (+119%)

Compass - 2,804 (-13%)

Civic - ???? ...unreported due to technical glitch with Honda's reporting tools.

Fit - ???? ...unreported due to technical glitch with Honda's reporting tools.

Corolla - 32,435 (-7.3%) ...must be the '08/'09 cutover.

Yaris - 11,434 (+45.9%)

xB - 4,220 (+232.1%) ...low supply in April '07

xD - 2,913 (new) ...roughly +100% over xA sales in April '07, again, supply constrained in April '07.

Sentra - 8,842 (+25.5%)

Versa - 6,865 (+26.4%)

Elantra - 9,981 (+22%)

Spectra - 8,406 (+16.7%)

Rio - 4,052 (+23.6%)

Impreza - 4,010 (+16%)

Lancer - 2,598 (?%)

VW Rabbit - 1,809 (-6.4%)

VW Jetta - 7,171 (-12.9%)

Mini - 4,713 (+39.4%)

...Assuming strong Civic sales (guaranteed) the Focus ends the month with a respectable third place showing. Better than combined G5/Cobalt sales in fourth place. Across the board small cars are building steam. And Focus is certainly doing its part for Ford. I have to believe that the Focus's sales results are better than even the rosiest forecasts used last year. It's amazing what sanity $4/gal fuel brings to the car market.

Scott

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done one of these posts in awhile due to time constraints, but seeing the 88% increase in Focus sales I was simply too curious to pass up the opportunity.

Focus - 23,850 (+43.5%) ...the 88% increase is retail, of course, while the 43.5% number is total sold including fleet.

Mazda3 - 9,234 (+14.8%) ...remember the C1 is too expensive to sell in the U.S.....

Cobalt - 18,636 (+25.1%)

G5 - 2,030 (+10.5%)

Astra - 909 (new)

Caliber - 8,825 (-5%)

Patriot - 6,348 (+119%)

Compass - 2,804 (-13%)

Civic - ???? ...unreported due to technical glitch with Honda's reporting tools.

Fit - ???? ...unreported due to technical glitch with Honda's reporting tools.

Corolla - 32,435 (-7.3%) ...must be the '08/'09 cutover.

Yaris - 11,434 (+45.9%)

xB - 4,220 (+232.1%) ...low supply in April '07

xD - 2,913 (new) ...roughly +100% over xA sales in April '07, again, supply constrained in April '07.

Sentra - 8,842 (+25.5%)

Versa - 6,865 (+26.4%)

Elantra - 9,981 (+22%)

Spectra - 8,406 (+16.7%)

Rio - 4,052 (+23.6%)

Impreza - 4,010 (+16%)

Lancer - 2,598 (?%)

VW Rabbit - 1,809 (-6.4%)

VW Jetta - 7,171 (-12.9%)

Mini - 4,713 (+39.4%)

...Assuming strong Civic sales (guaranteed) the Focus ends the month with a respectable third place showing. Better than combined G5/Cobalt sales in fourth place. Across the board small cars are building steam. And Focus is certainly doing its part for Ford. I have to believe that the Focus's sales results are better than even the rosiest forecasts used last year. It's amazing what sanity $4/gal fuel brings to the car market.

Scott

On the sales conference call Farley indicated that when all numbers are in that they expect the Focus to have a 9% share of all small cars. That is 3 points higher than last year. And the SES is selling well beyond their initial projections. He emphasized that this resurgence is not due to stripper models going out the door it is be led by high content models with high transaction prices.

No one asked Pipas or Farley about capacity constraints. But at the April rate of sales you are looking at over 260,000 units per year on only two shifts. IMO this sales rate is not sustainable on only two shifts. I imagine that talk of adding a third shift at Wayne is something that is being considered every day in Dearborn.

And the SES is selling well beyond their initial projections. He emphasized that this resurgence is not due to stripper models going out the door it is be led by high content models with high transaction prices.

Makes sense. People migrating from larger vehicles - particularly SUVs - do not necessarily want the el cheapo model. They want features and comfort along with better mileage.

This being the same Focus that all kinds of folks were complaining about before it came to market... pretty funny.

I'm waiting for an ST version.

I'd much rather see the net profits Ford has April vs. April than net sales - I expect that's not an option though.

Focus went 21,269 in May 2007, so what are the chances it will eclipse that and by how much?

Are we looking at a possible 25,000 month or is that a bit optimistic?

well- if the 54% gain remains stead we might actually see 30k ...

the jump last year from April to May was major 16k to 21k so if the same thing happens this year, we are looking at plenty uits sold this year.

That said -= I doubt we will see 30k - I have worries about this year's summer car buying season.

Igor

So, they produced 191,000 last year, or about 16000 a month.

At the start of April, they announced production would be increased to 245,000 for the year.

Assuming:

1. the first three months of the year saw production of 16k a month
  2. the remaining 9 months will produce at a rate to reach a 245k total

That would mean production will be about 22k/month.

Anyone have any real numbers?

To be technically fair, the B cars like Yaris, Fit, Rio, Versa are indirect competitors. As a dealer would see on their Top Five by Segment Report, that would be one of the "Ford Does Not Compete In This Segment." ;)

In my conversations with some dealers, they're praising the Focus and about how quickly they're turning. The loaded up and most importantly, Sync equipped ones are moving strong. The ones without Sync are a bit of a push. Dealers have been asking if Ford will come up with a way to retrofit Sync into non Sync models across the board to help move those off the lot.

To be technically fair, the B cars like Yaris, Fit, Rio, Versa are indirect competitors. As a dealer would see on their Top Five by Segment Report, that would be one of the "Ford Does Not Compete In This Segment." ;)

In my conversations with some dealers, they're praising the Focus and about how quickly they're turning. The loaded up and most importantly, Sync equipped ones are moving strong. The ones without Sync are a bit of a push. Dealers have been asking if Ford will come up with a way to retrofit Sync into non Sync models across the board to help move those off the lot.

they just announced a retrofit acessory for the Navigator and said they will offer it shortly on other models as well.

They should be producing about 21k per month with the extra overtime and weekends as I understand it.

Last year in May, the Focus was about 30% fleet. It was a big retail month thanks to a lot of discounts and a PZEV push in Cali, but it was also a big fleet month, and in fact, if you go back to Pipas' sales call last year for May he said as much.

The new Focus will likely be single digits fleet in May and frankly, stocks around here of the very popular SE Sport and SES are getting low (I've only seen one Focus on the roads here without the vents!). Ford is running on tight inventory right now. I expect Focus to only grow about 5-10% in May, but I expcet retail growth will be something like 40% versus May last year. Ultimately, that is the number I (and probably Ford) am most interested in.

they just announced a retrofit acessory for the Navigator and said they will offer it shortly on other models as well.

It'd be interesting to see if it could be offered on the 2008 Escapes. The 2009 Escape could be an even bigger hit than the initial year has been with the SYNC and new engines.

On the sales conference call Farley indicated that when all numbers are in that they expect the Focus to have a 9% share of all small cars. That is 3 points higher than last year. And the SES is selling well beyond their initial projections. He emphasized that this resurgence is not due to stripper models going out the door it is be led by high content models with high transaction prices.

No one asked Pipas or Farley about capacity constraints. But at the April rate of sales you are looking at over 260,000 units per year on only two shifts. IMO this sales rate is not sustainable on only two shifts. I imagine that talk of adding a third shift at Wayne is something that is being considered every day in Dearborn.

I was thinking that too. I go by Wayne Assembly all the time and they are working Saturday's now, but no Sunday's and only two shifts. 20,000 +/month looks like a given, and with improvements coming to 2009 model which will be out shortly, supply will be an issue since Focus is only made at one plant.

I am eagerly awaiting what changes for Focus are coming for 2009 as it is a likely lease for my Mom. I know that the rear headrests are coming, but what else? Is it possible a return of the ST with auto or manual with the new 2.5I4 and 5speed manual or 6speed auto? I also wouldn't be surprised to see SYNC made std on the SE and ABS made std on the SES. Anybody have any inside info to share before the 09 Ordering guide comes out?

ABC had a nice story this evening on how the demand for small cars was rising - and the Focus is shown prominently as one of the top 3 in sales for last month.

For once, Ford seems to have had the right car at the right time. :shades:

Now, if we can avoid exploding gas tanks (Pinto) and cars that started to rust in the showrooms (Vega) as we had in the '70's all will be well with the world. :shades:

Yup, give me that 3 door Fiesta and I'll throw money at Ford, I can't spend money om cars that don't look good to me.

Thats fine, I don't fault you for that. I still see no reason to try to say that people don't want the Focus. Many are obviously quite satisfied with it.

Thats fine, I don't fault you for that. I still see no reason to try to say that people don't want the Focus. Many are obviously quite satisfied with it.

That's true and those that want a C1 can quit whining get one from Mexico fairly easily.:)