Interceptor to become part of New Lincoln town & Queen Victoria

salsakingcpa

Ford Reveals More of Rear-Wheel-Drive Plan for U.S.

Ford Reveals More of Rear-Wheel-Drive Plan for U.S.

Ford Motor Company has reportedly given the green light to a brand new rear-wheel-drive platform for a whole new generation of vehicles. What’s more, the automaker plans to bring the development program for said vehicles back home to Dearborn, after having much of the RWD work done in Australia in recent years.

Reports are that the new platform will underpin the next Ford Mustang, as well as serving in the new wave of Ford and Lincoln sedans. The automaker’s current lineup of RWD sedans, the Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car, should be more than ready for replacement when their production ends in 2011. The replacement for those sedan offerings may take a form akin to the Interceptor concept (seen above) shown at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, but are likely to be smaller with aims at improved fuel economy.

Ford is also toying with the idea of bringing the next generation of the Australian Falcon over for U.S. consumption, as another push towards the globalization of the brand.

what do u think? comments please

Edited by salsakingcpa

Edit,

Unfortunately for FoA, Detroit wants to do its own platform so matter how good the Falcon is,

the US will probably get its way and the Falcon will switch to the US platform in 2013.

Kuzak's trip to Australia was to:

1. Drive the new Falcon and its competitors, he was amazed by the Falcon "Best car bar none!"

2. Discuss FoA's renewed desire for RHD and LHD exports to UK, Middle East and China.

3. Discuss the RWD strtegy

Kuzak was heard to say "he has a plan in his head", probably best released when back in Dearborn.

Last time he announced something from the US it was all bad news for FoA.:(

Either way we all get a new efficient RWD platform and I'm happy with that.:)

Edited by jpd80

Edit,

Unfortunately for FoA, Detroit wants to do its own platform so matter how good the Falcon is,

the US will probably get its way and the Falcon will switch to the US platform in 2013.

Kuzak's trip to Australia was to:

1. Drive the new Falcon and its competitors, he was amazed by the Falcon "Best car bar none!"

2. Discuss FoA's renewed desire for RHD and LHD exports to UK, Middle East and China.

3. Discuss the RWD strtegy

Kuzak was heard to say "he has a plan in his head", probably best released when back in Dearborn.

Last time he announced something from the US it was all bad news for FoA.:(

Either way we all get a new efficient RWD platform and I'm happy with that.:)

do you think, he would just throw away all the expertise AU has developed with the Falcon>

I think the key piece of moving GRWD to Dearborn was staffing, as well as broader model perspective - but I believed Australian engineers were supposed to have a key say in many - MANY - aspects given the fact that besides the Jaguar/LincolnLS/Mustang frankenstein, North America has not touched RWD in decades.

Igor

An insiders tells me that on Thursday Kuzak said that "he had a plan in his head"

so maybe no decision yet. I don't like to spread rumors and then look foolish later.

Either way, there's a lot of great work gone into this Falcon- I'm sure it won't be lost.

Edited by jpd80

do you think, he would just throw away all the expertise AU has developed with the Falcon> I think the key piece of moving GRWD to Dearborn was staffing, as well as broader model perspective - but I believed Australian engineers were supposed to have a key say in many - MANY - aspects given the fact that besides the Jaguar/LincolnLS/Mustang frankenstein, North America has not touched RWD in decades. Igor

Sounds like another fiasco ala explorer in the making. Volvo engineers asked for a strengthened roof on explorers the clueless NA engineers said no.

do you think, he would just throw away all the expertise AU has developed with the Falcon>

I think the key piece of moving GRWD to Dearborn was staffing, as well as broader model perspective - but I believed Australian engineers were supposed to have a key say in many - MANY - aspects given the fact that besides the Jaguar/LincolnLS/Mustang frankenstein, North America has not touched RWD in decades.

Igor

Trucks have RWD.

Sounds like another fiasco ala explorer in the making. Volvo engineers asked for a strengthened roof on explorers the clueless NA engineers said no.

In all fairness, I don't think it's like that at all!

Inside Ford, the latest Falcon is highly regarded and is an example of cooperation that has been

occurring all around Ford. It is basically a template of how a home division can build a car utilising

all of Ford's resources including Volvo. We ended up with a Falcon like no other - it trancends all

previous build quality standards for Ford Australia and if this is an example of what Kuzak has in mind

for all of Ford's cars - I say bring it on!!!

FoE assisted with supply of a Bordeaux built 5-speed auto transmission and single sided frame technology

and Volvo assisted FoA by giving them the EUCD Slim door technology.

Edited by jpd80

....FoE assisted with supply of a Bordeaux built 5-speed auto transmission and single sided frame technologyand Volvo assisted FoA by giving them the EUCD Slim door technology.

That's so cool!!! I wonder what Mazda and Ford south America contributed. This is great news, indeed.

For the longest time, I thought about Mustang becoming something like Infiniti and Acura are for Nissan and Honda. Why do we have to marginalize Mustang into just 2 door sports car? Why can not convert it into a sprots car and a luxury marquee? Comments welcome.

That's so cool!!! I wonder what Mazda and Ford south America contributed. This is great news, indeed.

For the longest time, I thought about Mustang becoming something like Infiniti and Acura are for Nissan and Honda. Why do we have to marginalize Mustang into just 2 door sports car? Why can not convert it into a sprots car and a luxury marquee? Comments welcome.

Umm...because Mustang is a model, not a brand. It will always be a model, not a brand. It has always been a 2+2 coupe and converticle, not a brand. It will always be recognized as a 2+2 coupe and convertible, not a brand. It has always stood for relative affordability and attainability, not for a luxury brand.

This idea has been hashed and rehashed so many times and has mercifully been filed under Notgunnaeverhappen by the folks at Ford whenever the rumors grow too strong. The confused/mentally unbalanced GM fans that constantly hope for a separate Corvette brand are dismissed in similar fashion.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of reasons it would be a bad idea. Maybe our resident CPA can fire up the ol' adding machine?

That's a shame because whether it is brand or not; Mustang should be able to have other vehicles like Mustang trucks, Mustand SUVs, and the best of all: MUSTANG MOTORCYLES!!!!!!!!!! ala Harley, and then Ford Motor could be really making some cool money.

Umm...because Mustang is a model, not a brand. It will always be a model, not a brand. It has always been a 2+2 coupe and converticle, not a brand. It will always be recognized as a 2+2 coupe and convertible, not a brand. It has always stood for relative affordability and attainability, not for a luxury brand.This idea has been hashed and rehashed so many times and has mercifully been filed under Notgunnaeverhappen by the folks at Ford whenever the rumors grow too strong. The confused/mentally unbalanced GM fans that constantly hope for a separate Corvette brand are dismissed in similar fashion.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of reasons it would be a bad idea. Maybe our resident CPA can fire up the ol' adding machine?

That's a shame because whether it is brand or not; Mustang should be able to have other vehicles like Mustang trucks, Mustand SUVs, and the best of all: MUSTANG MOTORCYLES!!!!!!!!!! ala Harley, and then Ford Motor could be really making some cool money.

You are completely insane. Enough said.

Your Crazy!!

WTF???

NO!!

dude thats getting quoted

oh yeah i almost forgot....you're INSANE

Edited by Ford-150

Guys, guys, please....he knows full well what is what. HE STIRRING THE POT!

Yes go on a ford forum and say they should build a mustang motorcycle, nope that won't cause knashing of the teeth!?!

Log into a GM forum and say the vette should be FWD like all good sportscars, and see what happens!

Man, he got you :poke:

Back on Topic,

Maybe Zeta and Sigma platforms merging is an indication of what Ford is planning with the GRWD.

By that I mean high / low or Heavy/Lite series depending on intended market and size of the vehicle.

For example,

A low or light series might be a Mustang and mid sized 4-door sedan having strut front and SRA/IRS rear suspensions

while a high or heavy series may use a more durable Falcon styled Front and rear suspension.

The best part is both series would use common floor pan, frames, power trains and electrical systems.

That way FoA and FNA have enough capacity to cover all required RWD vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Guys, guys, please....he knows full well what is what. HE sTIRRING THE POT!Yes go on a ford forum and say they should build a mustang motorcycle, nope that won't cause knashing of the teeth!?!Log into a GM forum and say the vette should be FWD like all good sportscars, and see what happens!Man, he got you :poke:

I AM NOT TRYING TO STIR ANY POTS HERE!

Haver you heard about Virgin Airlines? Well, the founder also came up with Virgin Cell phones, Virgin this, Virgin that, etc and etc.

So I am thinking why not have Mustang as a division like Lincoln and Mercury, and produce different types of automobiles and trucks all unique to Mustang and brand them as Mustangs. Sure the risk here is that this new division might become something like the Mercury Division.

Car companies go from bust to boom and back to bust and boom cycles because they automobile businesses go in cycles. On the other hand, motorcycle businesses specially Harleys are more leisurely, and so they are less cyclicals. Thus, my theory is that; why not? Just try out, and CREATE A CULT FOLLOWING IN MUSTANG motorcycles.

Edited by salsakingcpa