09 focus details at midnight

blazerdude20

3 hp? Why bother? Taller final drive for the Auto? That's a nice improvement. The spoiler in the coupe SES? Eh, not significant. The Se continues with the decklid one, which I like better. I do like the improvement to the tail. I was never upset with the old lower front fascia, so the new one seems plain to me. Oh well. Touchups keep it fresh, and that's important.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's funny reading some of the posts on here saying there is no improvement. I actually think its quite a large improvement over the 2008. The front fascia with the trapezoidal lower grill opening is a large improvement over the podgy rectangular opening. And the fog lights are well-integrated and actually look like they belong. The rear fascia is also much improved. It reminds me of the visual difference between the 03-04 mustang gt and the 03-04 cobra. The way the exhaust is integrated into the lower fascia seems more natural.

GT:

2003_MustangGT_ForSale2c.jpg

Cobra:

IMG_0243.jpg

That being said, its definitely not perfect. But its a very minor refresh (not changing expensive parts) and its pretty well done.

Anything is more appealing that what it is right now.

Hell, if a Pontiac Aztec and Edsel mated...their offspring would look better than the current Focus.

Oh give us all a break. It's not nearly Aztek or Edsel level of ugliness. You simply hate Ford. Go away already.

IMHO, the car does not photograph well, it's one of the least photogenic cars in recent years. It looks way better when you see it, and these changes will probably make it look even better when it's seen on the road and at the dealership.

When are we supposed to see the next gen Focus? Is there going to be another delay like the Fiesta launch when its comes out?

The only reason the Fiesta is launching late here is for lack of a place to build it. As far as I know, the C2 Focus will be a relatively synchronous launch in both Europe and NA.

The only reason the Fiesta is launching late here is for lack of a place to build it. As far as I know, the C2 Focus will be a relatively synchronous launch in both Europe and NA.

Ford said it would be - the NA and EU Fiestas we re developed separately - the Fiesta was originally an EU project (for Eu and all the other markets feeding off EU products) - other versions like NA and SA were added later - it was a rigged-together "global" car - the C2 Focus is a true global project - it should launch within months around the globe. last I heard, the Job1 is April 2010 in US - in other words, we should see a concept this fall, or next spring.

Igor

Edited by igor

Like the front, but the back looks strange for some reason.

I think a dual tailpipe setup similar to the V6 Fusion and regular red and amber tailights would help the rear end quite a bit.

Although I'm not fond of the roof-spoiler, I do think the front and rear bumper covers are a huge improvement over the 2008s.

Edited by White99GT

I think a dual tailpipe setup similar to the V6 Fusion and regular red and amber tailights would help the rear end quite a bit.

Eh, the rear half profile on the coupe just looks bizarre. The huge rear quarter windows and the very non-coupe-like beltline don't help matters at all. Drove past another 4-door on my way to lunch though and it actually doesn't look half-bad in profile. The grille and headlights are still an eyesore, but the profile of the sedan is leaps and bounds ahead of the coupe. Once again, I don't see the big deal about the fender vent. On the actual car in person, it's not even really that noticable. Just looks like a random piece of brightwork.

Eh, the rear half profile on the coupe just looks bizarre. The huge rear quarter windows and the very non-coupe-like beltline don't help matters at all. Drove past another 4-door on my way to lunch though and it actually doesn't look half-bad in profile. The grille and headlights are still an eyesore, but the profile of the sedan is leaps and bounds ahead of the coupe. Once again, I don't see the big deal about the fender vent. On the actual car in person, it's not even really that noticable. Just looks like a random piece of brightwork.

I do agree that the 4-door is better looking than the coupe in many ways, and I don't see the problem with the fender vent either.

Ford said it would be - the NA and EU Fiestas we re developed separately - the Fiesta was originally an EU project (for Eu and all the other markets feeding off EU products) - other versions like NA and SA were added later - it was a rigged-together "global" car - the C2 Focus is a true global project - it should launch within months around the globe. last I heard, the Job1 is April 2010 in US - in other words, we should see a concept this fall, or next spring.

Igor

Where's the development of the C2 Focus being done? Last I heard was that it was being done in Dearborn?

yes it is ... after all - C2 is really a tweaked C1 to add cost flexibility for NA market.

Igor

And C1 is really just a really tweaked C170 when it boils down to it. Good to see Ford almost taking a Toyota/Honda approach to some platforms: Keep what ain't broke and tweak the parts the customer will actually notice.

And C1 is really just a really tweaked C170 when it boils down to it. Good to see Ford almost taking a Toyota/Honda approach to some platforms: Keep what ain't broke and tweak the parts the customer will actually notice.

no not really - while C1 took a LOT from C170, it was an all new platform built from scratch - about the only part it did NOT rebuild was the control blade rear suspension. The front - in particular is all new.

With the C2, the platform is getting only a fece lift - in line with Ford's new product calendar - new platform every 2 top-hat generations.

The top hat will be all new for the Focus - and is being developed trully globally, but the platform tweaks are done mostly in Dearborn so that US manufacturing can adjust and have its input for what they need. More importantly - Us marketing needs the assembly costs to be lower than the C1 Focus

Igor

With the C2, the platform is getting only a fece lift - in line with Ford's new product calendar - new platform every 2 top-hat generations.

I hope they aren't going to make a change in platforms MANDATORY every 2 top-hats. If a platform still does its job, there's no need to change it, or at least change it significantly. How long did the Corolla stay on the same basic platform? Ford certainly got its money's worth out of other old platforms too like Fox and Panther. I would imagine a platform designed from modern engineering should be able to adapt to changing needs even better than those ones did.

Edited by NickF1011