My Lincoln MKS Review

BORG

The Focus I drove as a loaner 2 weeks ago had 3000 miles on it and the computer showed 25MPG. Are you telling me that the EPA ratings are similar, city and highway, for Focus as ToyHon? If so then I stand corrected but my "real world" experience in one (Focus) was not impressive in terms of MPG.

think logically, what are your driving habits ( which are usually thrown out the window when rentals are mentioned ) how ANYONE can estimate round town is beyond me, how much bumper to bumper, how many stoplights, how many lockups to avoid the "Will work for gas" banner wavers on corners....30 plus is not hard at all at CONSTANT speeds, hell I get 28 COMBINED in a car rated 25 combined, so it comes down to location and driving habits...EPA's are contrived numbers NOT indicative of where and how someone drives..........REGARDLESS of manufacturer......and YES in the EPAS instance the focus IS similar to the Corolla...AND twice as clean.....suck hard on THAT tailpipe!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Focus I drove as a loaner 2 weeks ago had 3000 miles on it and the computer showed 25MPG. Are you telling me that the EPA ratings are similar, city and highway, for Focus as ToyHon? If so then I stand corrected but my "real world" experience in one (Focus) was not impressive in terms of MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Note: For comparison all are manual 5 speed trans.

2008 Focus:Number of Vehicles: 7

Average User MPG: 32.3

Range: 29 - 40 MPG

Updated On: 06/09/2008

1 31.3 AZ 21% 79% 05/26/2008

2 34.4 PA 29% 71% 06/02/2008

3 28.7 AZ 70% 30% 04/09/2008

4 32.0 OH 30% 70% 05/06/2008

5 32.7 TX 24% 76% 06/05/2008

6 29.9 PA 05/20/2008

7 39.5 IL 60% 40% 06/03/2008

2009 Corolla:

Number of Vehicles: 9

Average User MPG: 38.3

Range: 35 - 45 MPG

1 37.9 VA 20% 80% 06/03/2008

2 37.4 NJ 20% 80% 06/08/2008

3 45.2 MO 10% 90% 02/29/2008

4 39.1 MI 10% 90% 05/24/2008

5 34.6 MN 30% 70% 10/01/2007

6 37.9 MI 17% 83% 03/24/2008

7 40.0 RI 20% 80% 05/09/2008

8 36.4 VA 05/13/2008

9 38.0 NY 50% 50% 05/19/2008

2008 Civic:

Number of Vehicles: 12

Average User MPG: 34.2

Range: 32 - 39 MPG

1 35.2 MN 05/15/2008

2 31.9 CA 06/05/2008

3 35.0 TX 40% 60% 12/15/2007

4 33.7 NC 40% 60% 05/26/2008

5 34.6 NJ 30% 70% 06/01/2008

6 33.3 NY 50% 50% 05/16/2008

7 35.6 TN 40% 60% 04/02/2008

8 33.3 MO 50% 50% 04/18/2008

9 32.2 TX 50% 50% 06/05/2008

10 33.4 TN 06/02/2008

11 39.3 10% 90% 05/28/2008

12 34.5 NC 20% 80% 06/01/2008

You have selective reading skills.. Richards quote Say's very plainly HIGHWAY and you want to use a combined real world value. As a loaner, you can't even trust the readout you had. Who filled it, how it was driven, etc.

I thought the whole point of using the computer was that "who filled it/was it really full" is no longer an issue. Put another way, while the vehicle COULD have been abused/driven hard, the computer is probably closer to the truth than not.

To clarify for me, can someone list here the city AND highway EPA ratings of Civic, Corolla and Focus? Maybe I am wrong.

Sounds like it was mostly city mileage. Loaners tend to be local, hence a lot of stopNgo.

I thought the whole point of using the computer was that "who filled it/was it really full" is no longer an issue. Put another way, while the vehicle COULD have been abused/driven hard, the computer is probably closer to the truth than not.

To clarify for me, can someone list here the city AND highway EPA ratings of Civic, Corolla and Focus? Maybe I am wrong.

08 Focus 5 spd manual

Regular Gasoline

City

Combined

Hwy

08 Corolla 5 spd manual

Regular Gasoline

City

Combined

Hwy

08 Civic (Premium, 6 spd)

Premium Gasoline

City

Combined

Hwy

08 Civic 5 spd manual

Regular Gasoline

City

[Combined

Hwy

Edited by timmm55

The computer is closer to the truth. But if all it's had is city stop and go MPGs........well there you have it!

The computer is closer to the truth. But if all it's had is city stop and go MPGs........well there you have it!

This gets me.. this guy acts like he just arrived on planet Earth yesterday...

Now he has an '03 mountaineer and that has a fuel readout MPG display. he knows he it works how it's set, but wants to claim he got in a loaner and it was reading 25.. NOT the 30 that the EPA sticker says it was suppose to get and he wants to complain about it..

It's people like this that litter both the highways, be it literal or electronic.

I had a 2005 Focus as company car for a year and averaged 26mpg in combined driving. Since the 2008 Focus gets better gas mileage by about 7% according to Ford, a good driver should be able to pull 27-28mpg in combined driving. The best fuel mileage I have been able to pull out of my present company car a Taurus is 22.2mpg combined with about 50% city and 50% highway. Rental drivers usually care less about fuel mileage and surprised it even got 25mpg combined.

I really believe the Corolla's secret to great fuel mileage is its lighter weight. I also had a Corolla awhile back as company car and it is a lighweight vehicle with doors feeling like much thinner metal than Focus. The car felt about 200-300 pounds lighter than Focus. I don't know the weights, but the Corolla sure does feel lighter.

This gets me.. this guy acts like he just arrived on planet Earth yesterday...

Now he has an '03 mountaineer and that has a fuel readout MPG display. he knows he it works how it's set, but wants to claim he got in a loaner and it was reading 25.. NOT the 30 that the EPA sticker says it was suppose to get and he wants to complain about it..

It's people like this that litter both the highways, be it literal or electronic.

What the heck are you talking about? The MPG computer on my '03 Mountaineer reads 13-15MPG, depending on the city/highway mix. Pretty much in line with what the new-for-2008-real-world EPA ratings say the vehicle is to get around town. And I get 19 on the highway...again exactly what the new sticker says. So extrapolating from that why is it not a fair assumption that the Focus will get 25 MPG in similar driving based on it's computer?

What the heck are you talking about? The MPG computer on my '03 Mountaineer reads 13-15MPG, depending on the city/highway mix. Pretty much in line with what the new-for-2008-real-world EPA ratings say the vehicle is to get around town. And I get 19 on the highway...again exactly what the new sticker says. So extrapolating from that why is it not a fair assumption that the Focus will get 25 MPG in similar driving based on it's computer?

It's probably good idea to use the Reset feature on message center from time to time to keep it more accurate over time as your driving routes change along with other changes. If you spend a lot of time in drive thrus like so many do with vehicle idling for long periods, you can't really get true mpg info on what vehicle can really do. Time to Reset computer and start over for more accurate figure on what kind of fuel mileage you are getting. I like to use the Reset the most when center beeps at me as I get down to 20 miles to empty...LOL. Reset turns off message "you need gas" and goes back to miles to empty. The lowest I have gone is 5 miles to empty. Not sure how accurate it is and not finding out that way.

I've been down to 2MPG on my LS, and it was ok... Although, I did have a friend with a 99' Cougar V6, and his would just blank out to NOTHING under 10, so then he HAD to immediately put gas if he did so. Mind you, the 2MPG can easily dissapear if you have to do a hard acceleration at some point.

:backtotopic:

Sat in one today... Wasn't as large on the outside as I imagined it to be. OK,, my short impressions on the little thing's. Their is a shade that rolls UP at the rear window. OK....... I guess it's to help keep the interior cool while the car sits outside in the sun. Every little bit helps.. would be a neat feature if it self-activated when needed.

Fuel door. It's a push to open, and their is the cap-less fill on this.

Active Cruise control. pricey...

Cool white interior lighting and I DID like that leather covering the top of the dash. People get a kick out of seeing the backup camera in action. But I don't know if I'd use it while parking... I'm old school, myself.

The disappearing numerical buttons for key-less entry.. excellent touch.. No more key.. keyfob and push to start, definite for any product from here on out.. Will it ever make it to the fiesta? maybe not in my lifetime.

You may not know it, but those buttons on the center stack are really done well. very high tech look and feel to them.

cons: CHEAP CHEAP cup holder cubby holes for the front seat. Man they have a sliding cover and you want to keep them covered.

ugh.... It's gonna be a pain to load the trunk and I don't think you can even get 2 bodies in it now.

Your gonna need at least one in their to pass you a beer from the trunk thru the "back seat pass thru cubby hole".

Sun roof for the front, moon roof for the rear. Vista roof would have done well on this car.

Hey, it's gonna appeal to the 50+ yr old people.... I liked it, But

I WANT MY MKT (sung to Dire Strait's, I want my MTV!)

uhhhhhh, lost in translation... I don't know. I'm tried now and all, but what you say makes sence. So.. I was wrong. Won't be the first time. I'm too tried to back track to figure this out, as I read my last reply and it even confused me.. Someone fetch a child of 5.

:backtotopic:

Sat in one today... Wasn't as large on the outside as I imagined it to be. OK,, my short impressions on the little thing's. Their is a shade that rolls UP at the rear window. OK....... I guess it's to help keep the interior cool while the car sits outside in the sun. Every little bit helps.. would be a neat feature if it self-activated when needed.

Fuel door. It's a push to open, and their is the cap-less fill on this.

Active Cruise control. pricey...

Cool white interior lighting and I DID like that leather covering the top of the dash. People get a kick out of seeing the backup camera in action. But I don't know if I'd use it while parking... I'm old school, myself.

The disappearing numerical buttons for key-less entry.. excellent touch.. No more key.. keyfob and push to start, definite for any product from here on out.. Will it ever make it to the fiesta? maybe not in my lifetime.

You may not know it, but those buttons on the center stack are really done well. very high tech look and feel to them.

cons: CHEAP CHEAP cup holder cubby holes for the front seat. Man they have a sliding cover and you want to keep them covered.

ugh.... It's gonna be a pain to load the trunk and I don't think you can even get 2 bodies in it now.

Your gonna need at least one in their to pass you a beer from the trunk thru the "back seat pass thru cubby hole".

Sun roof for the front, moon roof for the rear. Vista roof would have done well on this car.

Hey, it's gonna appeal to the 50+ yr old people.... I liked it, But

I WANT MY MKT (sung to Dire Strait's, I want my MTV!)

What do you mean it's gonna be a pain to load the trunk? Does it have a high lift over point (or whatever they call it)? And the trunk isn't very spacious?

What do you mean it's gonna be a pain to load the trunk? Does it have a high lift over point (or whatever they call it)? And the trunk isn't very spacious?

When you open the boot, you have about a 1 ft. depth to drop in some luggage then you'll have to angle the bottom of it towards the front of the car and slide it forward. Hard to explain. maybe someone can take a picture of it.

See where the rear window ends in this picture, and you'll understand the 1 ft. opening. Then the trunk goes to where the rear door opening is, so it's still deep. Gonna be crowded in their for 2 people.

lincoln-mks.jpg

Edited by Critic

When you open the boot, you have about a 1 ft. depth to drop in some luggage then you'll have to angle the bottom of it towards the front of the car and slide it forward. Hard to explain. maybe someone can take a picture of it.

See where the rear window ends in this picture, and you'll understand the 1 ft. opening. Then the trunk goes to where the rear door opening is, so it's still deep. Gonna be crowded in their for 2 people.

lincoln-mks.jpg

I think I understand what you're saying.....the actual loading "area" is not practical because of the design (rear window comes back too far for easy use), it should be bigger, since the trunk is so big. I hope that made sense and that it's what you're talking about.

I think I understand what you're saying.....the actual loading "area" is not practical because of the design (rear window comes back too far for easy use), it should be bigger, since the trunk is so big. I hope that made sense and that it's what you're talking about.

That was the same problem on the SN95 Mustangs. They actually had a somewhat large trunk (for a coupe anyway), but you couldn't fit much of anything into it due to the shape of the opening. Forget trying to load any Samsonite luggage in there...unless you folded down the back seats and pushed it into the trunk from there. :doh:

I too really like the MKX's interior.

Its a beautiful interior, matching or bettering its competitors. The MKZ interior is not THAT bad, but a few places could of really been improved. Most of it is items like the door handle plates with the visible hardware access covers, the lower console, and the like. Although, the fit of the pieces is very tight, and are all in the engineering, why they don't tighten the gaps in the fusion/edge panels is beyond me. A few clicks of the mouse on a CAD program before sending it to tooling would of fixed everything. As for styling, its always subjective, with an open mind the MKZ interior is decent by design, if you like it is completely subjective.

Its a beautiful interior, matching or bettering its competitors. The MKZ interior is not THAT bad, but a few places could of really been improved. Most of it is items like the door handle plates with the visible hardware access covers, the lower console, and the like. Although, the fit of the pieces is very tight, and are all in the engineering, why they don't tighten the gaps in the fusion/edge panels is beyond me. A few clicks of the mouse on a CAD program before sending it to tooling would of fixed everything. As for styling, its always subjective, with an open mind the MKZ interior is decent by design, if you like it is completely subjective.

I don't mind the MKZ's interior. I think, as you said, from a quality standpoint, it's pretty good. I do think the design is a little boxy for my liking though. Same with the new Navigator (but it too is still nice).