Ford May Keep Building Rangers

ANTAUS

There is no comparison data but the D3 cab is substantially stronger than the flimsy frame bolted onto the panther chassis. And besides, you're ignoring the data I've presented here which is substantive and not speculative.

In terms of frontal crash teting, the Panther performs good but not as good as the Five Hundred. You still see cab failure while the 500 is completely undisturbed, the windshield doesn't even crack!

Five Hundred

Lincoln Town Car

Well, according to NHTSA, the Panther scores as good or better as the "Safest Car in America" the Five Hundread/Taurus, and that's not even factoring in the Panthers' 75+ MPH rear crash testing. And no I didn't get that from Youtube.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to NHTSA, the Panther scores as good or better as the "Safest Car in America" the Five Hundread/Taurus, and that's not even factoring in the Panthers' 75+ MPH rear crash testing. And no I didn't get that from Youtube.

It sounds like all you worry about is 75+ rear crash testing. I think when it comes to safety one has to look at every angle. I am sure the Taurus/Five Hundred do well in rear impact, but I haven't seen any 75+ MPH testing done on them. If I remember right there have been complaints about the Panthers having fuel tank rupture issues on rear impact. Ford actually has been sued by people due to fuel tank issues on those cars. Last I checked I haven't seen any lawsuits due to the safety of the D3's.

If you are trying to say the Panther is a safer car then a D3 then go ahead, but find the data to back up that claim on every angle. The D3 is probably the safest Ford vehicle that has ever rolled down an assembly line. Underneath the sheet metal of a Panther lies an old outdated BOF design that was first engineered in the days before crash worthiness even mattered. Underneath the D3 lies a modern Volvo engineered unibody that was designed with crash worthiness in mind from the beginning.

I'm not saying that Panthers are dangerous cars, they are safe, however the Taurus/Five Hundred are even safer.

I'm not sure of all the info being posted here....

The ranger replacement is supposed to be the same size as the current US ranger, more or less.

The interior will get a major update as previously mentioned.

Ford has not annouced anything about building the Ranger replacement in Africa.

Ford did say that they would be expanding the Brazil plant for future T6 developed vehicles.

The upcoming Ranger replacement is being accellerated for a 2011 release.

The Ranger replacement will be sized to be a much improved version of what the ranger is now.

Same 6000lb tow limit or 5200lb for the 4x4. 2.5ltr and 3.5 ltr are assumed along with the 6 speed auto.

The F100 is a 9/10th scaled down version of the F150 with the 3.7 ecoboost 320HP and the 5.0 350HP as the two known possible engines. The F100 is expected to be 500lbs lighter than the F150 and have a max tow capacity of 7500lbs.

The F150 engine lineup is expected to be the 3.7 ecoboost 320HP , 6.2 boss engine 400HP, 4.4ltr diesel 300HP

Enjoy... :stirpot:

The 75+ MPH rear crash test rating you keep bleating on about is for fuel system integrity purposes only due to the number of police officers that have been burned when their :redcard: chassis patrol car was struck from behind at a high rate of speed. I believe Ford also came out with a retrofit kit bolstering the fuel system integrity on older :redcard: cruisers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opgqkk7ISaE

Edited by twintornados

If you are trying to say the Panther is a safer car then a D3 then go ahead, but find the data to back up that claim on every angle.

I don't have to go looking, it's right there on the NHTSA website! The Panthers scores better than the D3, period, and that's BEFORE factoring in the 75+ MPH rear end collision tests.

The IIHS rates the D3 better than the Panther, so at the very least between the NHTSA and the IIHS you have a virtually draw between the two platforms. That does not make the D3 the "Safest Car in America", period.

The D3s do seem sturdier in the side impact, but they have a higher center of gravity which causes them to be more likely than a Panther to rollover, so they lose a star in that segment w/ NHTSA, and they are to-date untested in high speed rear collisions.

The 75+ MPH rear crash test rating you keep bleating on about is for fuel system integrity purposes only due to the number of police officers that have been burned when their :redcard: chassis patrol car was struck from behind at a high rate of speed. I believe Ford also came out with a retrofit kit bolstering the fuel system integrity on older :redcard: cruisers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opgqkk7ISaE

The Crown Vic has been cleared of that "bursting into flames" nonsense by the NHTSA as well:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/stu...nVic021003.html

And:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...S175.A6797.html

Edited by Armada Master

The #1 truck in the ROW is not sold in the USA. More than 12MM have been sold and if you look in the dictionary under indestructible vehicle, you will find this picture

f_dogcomorderm_a25bcd6.jpg

The Tacoma/Hilux?

Last i heard it was sold here. They do destruct, i worked at a shop where we had them as delivery vehicles. They do wear down. Watch them start to rattle after 70K miles. Watch the interiors start to fall apart after 100K miles. Watch the radios and ignition switches mysteriously break. Watch the 5 speed synchros grind mercilessly on the 1-2. Feel the mysteriously MASSIVE loss in power after 150K miles (seen it with 4 Tacomas, they do it and i dont know why).

They arent indestructable. They are just trucks. A Ranger would have done the same in the same situations. You want a tough life? Give a truck to a delivery driver that doesnt have to pay for the truck or its maintenance.

There is no comparison data but the D3 cab is substantially stronger than the flimsy frame bolted onto the panther chassis. And besides, you're ignoring the data I've presented here which is substantive and not speculative.

In terms of frontal crash teting, the Panther performs good but not as good as the Five Hundred. You still see cab failure while the 500 is completely undisturbed, the windshield doesn't even crack!

Five Hundred

Lincoln Town Car

When working at a body shop i had to do an estimate on a P71 for the local PD that was in an accident. Side impact on the passengers side, and the cab of the vehicle deformed just like the TC in that video. Massive buckle in the roof, and the car "banana'd" heavily so that neither door on the passengers side would open, and neither would the rear door on the drivers side. The drivers door was opened, but the body and frame were twisted enough that it wouldnt latch anymore. The accident didnt look too be at too high of a speed, as the officer wasnt significantly hurt, but the car was destroyed and the estimate i wrote was more of a formality than anything. Still, just to see the way the roof and floor were buckled, and the entire sway of the car it shows how far technology has come in the years since the Panther's inception.

Im not knocking the car as an unsafe POS, but its worth noting that its my personal opinion as someone that has been in a ton of body shops, and one that did damage estimating for a period of time that i feel that a D3 or most any modern vehicle of comprable size would fare significantly better in a crash than the Panther does. Or a Ranger for that matter.

of course they should keep the ranger i bought my 98 in the fall of 97 in those ten plus years i have never done any major work on it i rebuilt the rear end after 175000 miles and replaced the rotors once i now have have over twohundred thousand miles on my little truck and believe me it has been abused almost everyday doesn,t burn a drop of oil and i love this truck!!!!!!!! yes we have been discussing the courier as well a small truck is what is needed and it will sell very well. perhaps with a 1.8 direct injection engine ????

I don't have to go looking, it's right there on the NHTSA website! The Panthers scores better than the D3, period,

Really? Right on the NHTSA website? Better....period?

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/saferc...0002fd17898RCRD

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/saferc...0002fd17898RCRD

Panther gets a 4-star side impact rating without SAB, which aren't standard. Panther scores 5-star in rollover, where the Taurus gets 4-stars.

Other than that, the ratings are all identical.

Isn't this topic about Rangers?

I would like to see it kept around for a few more years. It outsells the 'newer' GM and Mopar mid sizers. Shows that Ford was right to not change it and make it a hog. Sure a new cab would have been nice, OTOH.

My mom slammed her old 1999 panther into a 1200 lb black angus cow at 50 mph last november. It was night on a country back road, that's why she didn't see it. The 1200 lb cow landed on the hood, ramped off the A pillars, and landed on the back part of the roof and rolled off the trunk lid. Again this all happened at 50 mph.

My mom survived without a scratch. If the air bags hadn't gone off, I would have replaced the grille, hood, headlight, and front and rear windsheilds and still be driving the car to this day.

Even after having a 1200 lb cow slam into the windshield/A-pillars at 50 mph, YOU COULD STILL OPEN ALL FOUR DOORS AS IF IT HAD NEVER HAPPENED!

So after having that experience with a panther, I'm going to say that anyone who tries to tell it's not the safest car on the road is full of ****. I'll believe a D3 is as good when I see it stand up to something like that as well as a panther.

And the car had 190,000 miles on it at that point with nothing more than regular maintenance. My 90 ranger currently has 255,000 miles on it with all major original parts, and it runs as nice as any new vehicle. So much for the "panther and ranger being the least reliable vehicles Ford makes". It's been my experience that the panther and ranger platform are the most reliable vehicles Ford makes bar none.

As far as Ford building the Ranger for a while longer, that's great news. After owning 2 older ones, this gives me a chance to buy a new one (something I've always wanted to do) after college before they quit making them.

My mom slammed her old 1999 panther into a 1200 lb black angus cow at 50 mph last november. It was night on a country back road, that's why she didn't see it. The 1200 lb cow landed on the hood, ramped off the A pillars, and landed on the back part of the roof and rolled off the trunk lid. Again this all happened at 50 mph.

My mom survived without a scratch. If the air bags hadn't gone off, I would have replaced the grille, hood, headlight, and front and rear windsheilds and still be driving the car to this day.

Even after having a 1200 lb cow slam into the windshield/A-pillars at 50 mph, YOU COULD STILL OPEN ALL FOUR DOORS AS IF IT HAD NEVER HAPPENED!

So after having that experience with a panther, I'm going to say that anyone who tries to tell it's not the safest car on the road is full of ****. I'll believe a D3 is as good when I see it stand up to something like that as well as a panther.

And the car had 190,000 miles on it at that point with nothing more than regular maintenance. My 90 ranger currently has 255,000 miles on it with all major original parts, and it runs as nice as any new vehicle. So much for the "panther and ranger being the least reliable vehicles Ford makes". It's been my experience that the panther and ranger platform are the most reliable vehicles Ford makes bar none.

As far as Ford building the Ranger for a while longer, that's great news. After owning 2 older ones, this gives me a chance to buy a new one (something I've always wanted to do) after college before they quit making them.

The force exerted against the front end of the Taurus during the frontal crash tests by the NHTSA and IIHS are both far more than 1200 lbs. The doors opened just fine after those...

1200 lbs is less than any vehicle shy of a motorcycle that you'll encounter in an accident.

Your mom is very lucky and without being condescending to the panther, it sounds like the cow was hit at a near perfect speed to kick her legs out and induce a "glancing passage" over the body.

A few years ago, some friends of mine had a similar experience in a Falcon, we put it down to the vehicle's height and windshield rake.

Edited by jpd80

The force exerted against the front end of the Taurus during the frontal crash tests by the NHTSA and IIHS are both far more than 1200 lbs. The doors opened just fine after those...

1200 lbs is less than any vehicle shy of a motorcycle that you'll encounter in an accident.

Yeah but those crash tests don't hit the windsheild/A-pillars with a 1200 lb weight, they hit the bumper. A hyundai would probably be OK hitting a 1200 lb mass in the bumper. Any other car would have had the roof/pillars/glass torn off in such an accident. The only reason my mom is alive is because panthers are built like tanks. Now she refuses to drive anything else (which is ironic because she denouced it as a "granny car" when we first got it).

Besides that, the Crown Vics are SOOOOO much better looking than any of the D3 models. I do like the 3.5 out of the D3's though, I'm contemplating swapping one into a crown vic for my next daily driver. It'd be nice to find a manual tranny to throw in it as well...

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I'm interested in the 1200lb motorcycle...mine is 478 WET,,,Harley? WITH a rider?...and personally she would have probably been fine in the Taurus as well...safety cell and all....

Edited by Deanh

What does all the posts about Crown Vics have to do with Rangers?

I have seen more on the road lately and think Ford was right to not upsize it, and would be best to replace it with same size truck. Too bad it will have to be imported and not made in MN.

Really? Right on the NHTSA website? Better....period?

Panther gets a 4-star side impact rating without SAB, which aren't standard. Panther scores 5-star in rollover, where the Taurus gets 4-stars.

Other than that, the ratings are all identical.

Both platforms are evenly matched (overall) w/o SAB, because the Panther loses a star versus the D3 in side impact but the D3 loses a star in rollover versus the Panther.

BUT, in both cars W/ SAB, the Panther has 5-stars across the board where the D3 does not, it drops one on rollover.

Therefore, the D3 does not stand up to the argument made by Ford for the "Safest Car in America". :stats:

Edited by Armada Master

Yeah but those crash tests don't hit the windsheild/A-pillars with a 1200 lb weight, they hit the bumper. A hyundai would probably be OK hitting a 1200 lb mass in the bumper. Any other car would have had the roof/pillars/glass torn off in such an accident. The only reason my mom is alive is because panthers are built like tanks. Now she refuses to drive anything else (which is ironic because she denouced it as a "granny car" when we first got it).

Besides that, the Crown Vics are SOOOOO much better looking than any of the D3 models. I do like the 3.5 out of the D3's though, I'm contemplating swapping one into a crown vic for my next daily driver. It'd be nice to find a manual tranny to throw in it as well...

Ummm, dont the CD3s and D3s use high strength steel on the A pillars? there was a thread about them not being able to get the jaws of life to cut through them. I seriously doubt a cow would crush the pillars if the jaws of life cant get through them. Im glad your mom made it through without a scratch, but the fact that the cow went up and over instead of through the glass says alot about HOW it was hit, and not as much about the car itself.

What does all the posts about Crown Vics have to do with Rangers?

I have seen more on the road lately and think Ford was right to not upsize it, and would be best to replace it with same size truck. Too bad it will have to be imported and not made in MN.

Here's a picture of the Thai Ranger we ger in Australia:

Ranger.jpg

This is more than a passing interest to me. I currently own a 2005 F-150 with 12K on it but I think if I had my druthers I would rather have back the 1995 Ranger SC with the 4 cylinder and five speed manual. I used to get about 26-27 mpg on the road and 23-24 around town. It is true that it is long in the tooth and needs to be larger inside and out but for most people who need a utilitiarian vehicle to get groceries and run around town it is just fine. I'm at a loss as to why Ford let the market go so long. I guess they figured gas prices would never go up. My F150 is a great truck but I just don't use it although I get around 19 mpg with it. It is just really too big for my uses and it barely fits in my older 1980's garage alongside my Fusion. I'd rather keep the miles down on the Fusion but getting the F150 out of the garage is really a hassle. The Ranger would suit my purposes much better. I think I have owned about five of them over the years.